Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Are opinion changing on restoring a shotgun?
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Are opinion changing on restoring a shotgun?

I used to be one of those old school guys that said a rusty old shotgun is always better than a restored shotgun, but views views are evolving after seeing some correctly restored shotguns. By correcting restored I personally mean a gun that has been faithfully bought back to the way it left the factory in every aspect.

What are the current opinions on the following question: If you have a Parker with no factory finish on the frame or wood (the barrels usually have at least some) and its overall condition is worn and need of some TLC, do you object to correctly restoring it? If so, why? If not, why?
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I won't wade into that argument, but I'll say this much - there are a lot more guns out there that have had work done on them than people like to acknowledge.
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to greg conomos For Your Post:
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

My personal philosophy with my guns is to (1) leave guns with honest wear alone (2) repair and/or restore guns that have issues which affect their cosmetic and/or functional value. Those are subjective determinations for me to make on my own guns. How far to go (repair parts or full restoration) is also subjective. Once the decision to repair or restore is made, it should be done right and a gunsmith that specializes in the gun to be restored should be used.

We all like original guns, but as the first poster said, most are not all original. Also, there are some incredible gunsmiths out there that do great work which has value in and of itself. The fact a gun was restored by Del Grego, Bachelder or Oscar Gaddy would get my attention if I was considering a purchase. You need only surf this forum to see some incredible work.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I bought one 20 gauge parker that was fully restored and I believe very well done. I believe it's collector value is less than the price I paid. A major consideration for me was that I felt this gun was far more pleasing, and an equal or better deal than what was available in modern guns in the same price range. I wouldn't be hesitant to do it again if the fit, gauge, dimensions etc were what I was looking for in a SxS. Just my opinion.
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Grims For Your Post:
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Craig Parker
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think it's a gun by gun thought process that goes into it, family gun.. Maybe. .For your enjoyment..maybe... But not for profit. A guns history has a lot to do with it, maybe one or more restored for yourself that really show the class that it brings to the gun, as said there are some great looking restored guns on here and with the knowledge on here one not going to slide by. We have a few great restorers on here with some very nice looking work.I have not had one done but plan too, couple of 0 and 1 grade guns, I don't care if I have 3 grand into it.I'll be carrying and shooting it just the same but it's sure going to look good, same as the one that's seen a life of field use having that boat bump and/or ding that that guy put in it 90 years ago. A gun that I will have done will be researched fully before any thing is done to it. With all the resources we have it should not be that hard.

I don't believe some or most guns need it and stand on they're own, which needs be original. But one I will have had done I will tell the less knowing public that it has been restored, as some have done. I brought one restored gun and does it draw looks in the field, I tell them that it's been restored and when it was born then just step back and let them talk.

Craig
Craig Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Parker For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have noticed that in other countrys like englind and australia restored guns seem to be prefurred to well used guns. A lot of sights advertise all there guns as being refinished and reprofed before sale. I read on nitro express that the aussi's don't put near as much stock as far as resale in wether a gun has had work done on it or not. This may be because these guns are wearing out and if we want to use them then we are going to have to fix them. Just my opionion.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Profit shouldn't enter into it. It's pimping. Older guns with a look of care and love are as desirable as women of a certain age. No one neglects a companion worn by honourable living to say she or he is original. Cosmetics are integral to arm candy of any age. The difference between collectors and Parker enthusiasts is collectors are serial lovers.
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King Brown For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Ray, there is a huge difference between quality of so-called restorations. I really think that to fully deal with your question, you should go to several Parker meetings, talk candidly and non-publicly to people and inspect for yourself a lot of Parkers. I think it will be exceedingly difficult to learn about these matters without hands on and face to face discussions. You see a number of assertions on this forum that experienced Parker people would take issue with in private.

From my view, some restorations are spot on, but most are not. The main problems are in case colors and stock work. I have attempted to provide forum viewers with examples of original or mostly original Parkers and a person can compare those to some of the restoration work that is seen.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Well said Bruce and King. I agree Bruce, the case coloring done today will never match original Parker coloring, although some of it is done by some very talented people. I have a late P grade with original case, wood and bluing. The gun looks as if it had been placed in a time capsule. When I handle a refinished Parker it feels to me as if the soul of the gun has been removed. That's just how I feel, as I'm not a true "collector", I feel as though I'm just taking care of these guns for a while.Their originality is what I love about them.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have a GH 20 with 30 inch damascuss barrels which in itself is a rareity. Doug Turnbull completely restored this gun to include recutting the engraveing. This was all done befor I bought the gun but I considered it in my offer which was substantilly less than the asking price but we came to terms and its a very nice gun. i see no harm is cleaning up an oil soaked stock, refinishing it and recutting worn checkering or haveing the damascuss barrels redone. Most of these guns are 100+ years old and a little TLC IMHO doesn't hurt them.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post: