Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread
Provenance
Unread 03-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Provenance

I will be at the pre view at Julia's Sunday afternoon, and at the auction Monday. I hope to see a few of you there and maybe have a lobster together.

I think this may be a landmark event in sporting arms collecting. It seems that "factory originality" has trumped association with a distinguished shooter or owner with respect to the collectability of sporting arms. There are two notable Parker exceptions. The Czar gun, and "Burt's gun" sold for approximatly 6 times the amount they would have brought as wood and iron, without a story. The provenance of the Czar gun was near impeccable; a number of entries in the order books, a letter from Mr Parker, the original hang tags, and single family ownership far outweighed a new stock. Burt's Gun provenance is even better; Burt handed it to young Bill Tappley who hunted it and wrote of it for 60 years, before passing it on just before his death. There is some pretty good observational support for the provenance of collectability of these two guns; every one of Julia's telephone bidder's representatives was on their feet when the Czar gun lot was called; and I was able to count nine individual bidders chasing Burt's gun at the Cobbs.

It is currently assessed that Nash Buckingham's association with a Super Fox will cause that gun to be sold at 10 to 20 times the amount it would bring without the association. I will judge its provenance and collectability from the number of bidders on the phone, and the number in the gallery fidgeting with bidders cards when the lot is called.

Parker Pages would do an article, or series, on Provenance if sufficient inputs are recieved . We would really like to be able to assess current feelings on provenance of sporting arms and Parkers in particular.

You can post your thoughts here, or e mail them to me at

austin.w.hogan@valley.net

Thanks, Austin
Unread 03-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,236 Times in 12,377 Posts

As with the Czar's Parker and with Burt's Gun there is an enormous amount of trepidation - a tingling you can actually feel - a sincere skepticism balanced by a firm desire for it all to be true, to be the "real deal" the undeniable original "Bo-Whoop", the magic wand of the legendary but flesh and blood hero iconic American waterfowler Nash Buckingham.

Some will courageously levy their maximum bids while others, cowed by insecurity and the lack of hard evidence beyond that which is known and printed in the Julia's catalog will sweat and tremble and in the end only wish they had placed that bid - that winning bid...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Provenance
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Provenance

Thanks Dean; you are correct in the observation. But this is really the same as a newly discovered work of a well known artist coming up for sale; what information convinces you that it is genuine? Or, what in the painting makes it more desirable than other work of the same artist?

Best, Austin
Unread 03-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

My vague understanding of provenance is that continuity of documented possession and transfer is key for an item that cannot otherwise be irrefuteably validated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Heald For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Anybody who pays big bucks for that Buckingham gun with the shakey provenance needs their head examined, but somebody will.......

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 03-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
Anybody who pays big bucks for that Buckingham gun with the shakey provenance needs their head examined, but somebody will.......

DLH
I agree with Destry, it has shakey provenance and just how long will Julia guarantee that it is the real deal after the sale..... as I know from bitter experience What I was out was nothing (5 K ) compared to what this buyer maybe out You think Julia will cover the cost of the gun six months from now if or when it turns out not to be the real deal or some insurance company comes to claim it..... I would want something in writing from Julia's, a guarantee in writing with a moneyback return for at least a year and that I can "Guarantee" Julia will not give. Sorry I have little trust.
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Eric,

If I was you, every gunshow or shooting event I attended, I'd put that gun on my table with a big sign giving all the details. My guess is it wouldn't take long for "Mr. Julia" to get back in touch with you saying he'd changed his mind.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Robert Rzepiela
Forum Associate

Member Info

A year ... ? If I am paying 100K for this gun, I want like 20 years guarantee !!
Unread 03-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rzepiela View Post
A year ... ? If I am paying 100K for this gun, I want like 20 years guarantee !!
Robert,

You would be lucky to get a two month guarantee from Mr Julia, I know the hard way.......
Unread 03-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
Jared V.
Forum Associate

Member Info

One problem that may or may not arise in the future is the discovery of another "Bo Whoop". What happens then?

Here's my claim to fame in the world of Ansley Fox shotguns. The only D grade PAC gun known (sn348) and was almost surely in the Great Man's hands before it left the factory. There was a part of me that wanted to send it to the Julia auction, but I couldn't do it....
http://www.foxcollectors.com/philadelphia%20arms.htm

Last edited by Jared Valeski; 03-10-2010 at 07:10 PM..
Closed Thread