Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Remington 1894B Bent Stock = Broken Stock
Unread 02-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Default Remington 1894B Bent Stock = Broken Stock

A friend I shoot with once a month contacted me about how to recolor Damascus barrels. He had purchased a Remington 1894B and wanted to open the chokes, lengthen the forcing cones, and recolor the barrels. Plus he wanted to bend the stock. I told him that every gun I had opened the chokes on I had regretted and that he should shoot it for a while as he may surprise himself. I cautioned that we Damascus shooters do not lengthen the forcing cones because that is where the greatest pressure is and it makes no sense to remove metal from these old barrels. I also told him I didn't want to be negative or rain on his parade, but the people I know that have bent their stocks on older shotguns either broke them trying to get an inch of drop out or once they achieved the dimensions they wanted the wood simply returned to its original shape over time. I recommended he might try one of these https://www.amazon.com/Kick-Eez-Chee...HZN1HMG5ED0NAH

We got together yesterday to shoot and the Remington was in beautiful condition and the Damascus was still black/white over 80% of the barrels. They just showed good honest wear near the breach. I told him it would be a shame to redo the barrels. There was an antique gun dealer as well as a hand full of very knowledgable collectors that agreed.

He shot 20 times, broke 19 birds and his stock. We were all devastated for him. At lunch he told me he had bent the stock and it was a perfect fit. I didn't tell him, "I told you so," but gave him an odd look and he acknowledged me with an "I know you did" expression.

I'm not telling this story to polish my fingernails on my lapel. This is just a sad ending to something that didn't need to happen. Most all of us have experienced giving what we thought was good advice that went unheeded and resulted in failure.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 02-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
Sheepherder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harry,
Your advise is noted, By Me, Thank You.
I was thinking of having my GH bent, from a slight 'cast on' to neutral. I'm right handed, but can shoot it as is, without too many misses.
Hal Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal Sheets For Your Post:
Unread 02-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm not an expert at anything but I do have lots of experience, good and bad, in many areas and will offer advice if I feel the person wants it. Good advice is often ignored or resented by the person receiving it. Sometimes you have to bite your tongue, as my grandmother used to say, and not say, "I told you so". It's also good to know when to keep your mouth shut.