Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New member and in need of advice
Unread 10-14-2023, 04:02 PM   #1
Conor Curtin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New member and in need of advice

Greetings. I recently developed an increasing interest in Parker shotguns and in my search for information I of course found my way here. This all started when I decided I wanted to get back into classic doubles to shoot some clays with and to hunt with. I grew up shooting and competing with vintage British doubles, but I want to try something new. I found myself in a local gun shop recently with a huge selection of vintage Parkers and a few of the reproductions. That all got my wheels spinning and here I am.

I currently have my eye on a Parker reproduction SSS unfired and with a lot of the features I like in my guns. The stock dimensions would seem to suit me well, the seller is probably on the forum here somewhere. I did have some questions you all might be able to help me with.

I am looking for a gun to use not to collect, is it worth the premium for an unfired gun if I’m going to use it? It is reasonably priced but I think more than if I had been lightly used. Should I worry and a straight stock cracking? Can I treat it like a modern shotgun, with in reason of course. I not a fan of all this super fast ammo that’s popular these days. I am drawn to the SSS because I do a bit of hunting in the UK and they, and a lot of other places in Europe have, or soon will ban lead. This wouldn’t be a primary clays gun, but it would see some service in that department.

I would love to hear the members thoughts on my predicament and get some advice.
Conor Curtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2023, 06:49 PM   #2
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,080 Times in 470 Posts

Welcome to the group. You are going to like it here. If you use the search function you will find many threads and discussions re: Reproduction Parkers in general and the Steel Shot Specials in particular. I don't have one but I'd like to. They sure seem to sell quickly on this site. I have a 28 and 20 gauge repo and love them. If you join as a regular member you'll be able to search the "For Sale" forum archives. A quick search on Guns International shows a couple for sale.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2023, 08:02 PM   #3
Dylan Rhodes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Buying an unfired Parker repro with the intention of immediately firing it is an ethical debate to me. But, it’s yours to do as you please and the guns were indeed made to be fired. Will it be worth less after you fire it? Yes. assuming it’s actually unfired….
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2023, 10:16 AM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

I can't understand why there are even any un-fired Repros left. They were made to be used and a well taken care of Repro that's been used is no less gun than an un-fired one.
An 'Original' Meriden gun unfired? That's a whole 'nuther discussion. I bought one once, more to study it, but passed it on after I 'absorbed' it. I'm not in the same zip code as wealthy collectors who simply want to look at them.
I recently bought an upgraded Parker, commissioned by a well known collector, and executed by a well known and respected duo. It remained new, and un-fired since it's 'rebirth', but it's price reflected more what it was, not so much in it's un-fired state for over 50 years. I will admit to only fleeting thoughts of being the person who would be the one to end that run. I took it out last week, put 150 rounds through it, and never looked back.

Lastly, in the FWIW department, I'm pretty sure there's no difference in the barrel of a Steel Shot Special, and other 12ga Repros, other than perhaps chokes.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2023, 11:29 AM   #5
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

Im with Edgar on this. I had a Chris Dawe build me a upgraded Fox 20 gauge. I have used it almost exclusively since last year and will continue to shoot it a lot more this year.
When I first got it back I was asked numerous times if I was going to shoot it.
My response was always the same. Thats what it was made for.
Yup a few dents and scratches in the wood but I love shooting it and when my granddaughter gets it she will know PaPa loved it and shot it.
That said if it was a rare one of a kind gun I would have second thoughts. Reproductions don't fall into this category.
I have had some nice guns I was reluctant to shoot very much. In most these cases they are enjoyed for awhile and then down the road they go.
If the reproduction fits you and is reasonably priced, buy it, shoot it, and don't look back.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2023, 12:45 PM   #6
Conor Curtin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks to everyone for the input. I’m still considering it and weighing it all out. Im definitely also in the camp of guns are meant to be used. I was drawn to the reproductions because they offer a greater deal of functionality. Unfortunately my preference is for straight stocks and double triggers, there are not all that many reproductions that fit that bill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Conor Curtin For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2023, 04:54 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

But keep looking and you will find one that fits your desires.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2023, 05:26 PM   #8
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,080 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Curtin View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input. I’m still considering it and weighing it all out. Im definitely also in the camp of guns are meant to be used. I was drawn to the reproductions because they offer a greater deal of functionality. Unfortunately my preference is for straight stocks and double triggers, there are not all that many reproductions that fit that bill.
There is a steel shot special with a straight grip and double triggers for sale on guns international right now.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2023, 05:58 PM   #9
Conor Curtin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Steingraber View Post
There is a steel shot special with a straight grip and double triggers for sale on guns international right now.
That is the one I am considering.
The Following User Says Thank You to Conor Curtin For Your Post: