Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Jeff:

The newer 16 gauge 2 ½ inch spreader loads that I referenced, have in fact been around for some years. They are called DoubleWide, have less than 1 ounce of shot, 6-8 thousand-pound pressures and are intended for vintage guns.

In contrast, the longer-running, but still 2 ½ inch 16-gauge spreader ammo with 1 ounce of shot was introduced further back, that is, in the 1990s. This product was intended to have recoil circa 1200-1225, sufficient enough to cycle shells through such as the short-chambered Auto 5.

The company was sold last Fall to Todd Raymond who reportedly has other ammunition business interests.
Unread 08-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #12
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you want low recoil for high volume 16 G targets it's RST or Load your own. All other factory ammunition I am aware of is loaded to cycle Auto's & will wear you out shooting 100 shot round of clays. Hunting another thing.

Setting up to load low recoil 16 is not expensive or complicated. Round count over a few boxes at a time it's worth it. Few flats a year buy RST. I do both, couple of flats from RST at shoots, save the empty hulls then load. Hulls wear out get a few more flats from RST.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 08-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #13
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill:

Aside from the reloading option, why would the Polywad Vintager loads not meet Joe’s needs for his 16-gauge hammer gun, while RST loads would? The cost per box of both company’s comparable-appearing product is $11.00.

Both loads are represented to be, in a 2 ½ inch 16-gauge shell, low recoil and low pressure. (I am not talking about the original Spread-R. load)

In recent years I have used RST more often than Polywad in old and light-weight guns. But, is there a significant difference between the low-pressure, soft-on-the-shoulder offerings of the two companies?

Or, is it that the RST hull is more suited for re-loading?
Unread 08-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #14
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

The polywads may be very suitable, I have never used them, friend at the 5 stand last week had some and was going to ask his opinion but did not get around to it. RST hulls are Cheddites and not great hulls, but few good hulls available in 16 G. Gave up on anything else and worked out how to load Cheddites. Short of it is Mec 600 with the short kit, DR 16 wad, 3/4 oz shot Hodgdon International powder.

Way I calculate about 150 to 200 dollars to set up short 16 loading: used press short kit and ballistic products brass pre crimper . Cost of components excluding hulls is about 4 dollars a box. Forgot what I paid for two flats of RST at the Vintagers probably 150 ? That would be 7.50 per box. More expensive ordered in small quantities and shipped no doubt.

You have to shoot 5 or 6 flats to make loading pay . With a Parker Hammer 16 and Trojan 16 using least 1000 16 G shells per year I am ahead of the game loading, all figures from my head.

That’s why I say small quantity better to buy from RST. It’s a top quality load.

Afterthought, Ballistic products had primed empty 2 1/2 inch 16 G Cheddites back ordered for several years, last month they called, now in stock. I bought 3 bags.

William
Unread 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

William:

One other thing I should have noted: There may be comparable pressures between the two company’s light 16-gauge offerings if using the shells with 7/8th ounces of shot. But, I believe only RST offers ¾ ounce 16-gauge loads. That gets the RST Falcon Ultra Lite in ¾ oz. down to 4300 psi, which is the ammo I have lately been using.

I had a very painful shoulder dislocation nearly 30 years ago, which can still give me trouble; so these “lite and lighter” target products are much-appreciated. And, they do avert any re-subluxations (which I have experienced when shooting game loads).
Unread 08-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #16
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Agree with you on the low recoil. I have a couple of shoulder issues too. Have a few boxes of Herters 16s left and don’t even want to fire them in my 6 lb 11 oz Trojan. Hammer gun is a bit lighter twist barrels and much older. Better go 3/4 oz low pressure. It breaks clays well to 30 yards thanks to Parker chokes .

I may have been wrong on cost of RST, spend so much at the Southern it’s hard to keep track. 4 dollars per box my reloads is accurate.

William
Unread 08-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,782 Times in 4,717 Posts

William, what exactly is the Herter load that is more than you want to handle?
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #18
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Herters one oz field load. It’s fine for low volume shooting. 100 Shot round of clays felt recoil is more in a under 6 lb 11 oz Trojan 16 than 8 lb VH 12 G using 7/8 oz. Its not all that bad but why shoot heavier shot weight and have more recoil in 16 than 12.

Main thing with factory 16 G, excepting RST, they all function recoil operated autos like Remington 11 or Brownings. No need in SXS Guns.

William
Unread 08-04-2018, 11:20 AM   #19
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

I’ve been using Federal, Remington and Winchester 1 oz 16ga shells for almost 50 years on Parker fluid steel and Damascus barreled guns from A grade to P grade. No problems at all. If you want 7/8 oz loads you need to buy RST shells or load your own.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #20
Pay Dirt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,341 Times in 301 Posts

Short kit on the Mec Sizemaster.
1 oz, 7/8 oz and 3/4 oz.
Same hull, wad and recipe.
Bobby Cash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Cash For Your Post: