Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #21
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Truitt View Post
How about our controversial 10/12 being shot in the 12 ga event.

Is that an issue?
Gee, I guess not as long as I may use a 10 gauge with 12 gauge adapters in the same shoot. Heck I'll even use a little gum to stick the adapters in the chambers.

Rules get confusing if they are not clear to the most casual of observers.

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #22
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

A guy shooting with a set of tubes doesn't bother me any. At the vintage events I have attended the demeanor of the typical shoot has been geared more toward hanging out and having fun than keeping score. I have always had the thought in the back of my mind that a 100 year old Parker is going to pattern way better than any set of tubes a guy could throw into his gun anyway!
I respect values and opinions of the experienced collectors who have spent a lifetime searching for the perfect array of guns, but it's also important to appeal to the new collector as well. Where do I fit? Novice collector maybe, my favorite guns are all Full X Full and I make due with what I have.
A final note, I would rather see a guy with a set of tubes in gun than see him have the chokes hogged out. When that gun comes back to the market, you may wish it still had the full choke!! I'm OK with the rules, but certainly wouldn't mind if they changed.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #23
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I say keep it like it is. Its true sub gauge Parker's are expensive however lesser makers are available at prices near tube set cost. I have a very shoot able 28 inch Hunter arms Hunter Special 20 bought just for the sub gauge event for about what a Briley set sells for

May move up to a Parker if I see the right gun but the original rule is not a barrier to entry.

Bill
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #24
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

That's the spirit Bill! There are plenty of sub-gauge vintage guns that need a good caretaker. I confess that my safe holds no small bore Parkers. There are however some small Foxes and Lefevers, each in 16 and 20!

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #25
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys.

Keep em coming.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Smith View Post
I'm on the fence with this one. I purchased a set of gauge mates at the Parker Silent Auction two years ago, but have yet to use them to this day. The only time I thought about using them was at Backwoods during the Fall Southern. I wanted to shoot the small bore course because the folks I was shooting with were going out to do so. I had 20ga inserts for my 16ga gun, but was told that I couldn't compete with the gun in this configuration. For me, it was about shooting with my friends that afternoon, not about trying to win the 20ga event.

I shoot a lot of events just as a social shooting event - not for score necessarily, as I don't generally shoot better than 60%, so I just toss my scorecard in the trash when I'm done. I'm certain they will let you shoot subgauge tubes or inserts if your card is boldly marker NOT FOR SCORE.

I can understand arguments from both sides. As you said John, there are people who have spent a lifetime collecting guns and spending the money to acquire a diverse collection. Not all of us will be able to compete in the .410 Hammer Gun competition, because we just don't have that gun in our collection. The purist in me agrees that competitions should be shot with guns in the original configuration. On the other hand, as someone who is relatively new to collecting vintage doubles, and someone who hasn't had the opportunity (or the funds ) to acquire guns of every caliber (yet), it keeps someone like me from competing in more events, which means less competition and less revenue for the event sponsors. There are not may people our age who are interested in keeping up this tradition of shooting vintage doubles, and I'd hate to see any limitations on competitions for this reason. If there is an unfair advantage to shooting a gun with gauge mates versus the original configuration, then that is another story.

I too, believe it is simply a matter of "Shoot the classic gun - in competition - in the configuration it left the factory in." I certainly wouldn't consider sub-gauging the gun to be cheating or anything of the sort but just not "good form".

Mike, I didn't single out your post for any other reason than it was the first one that contained some real thought-provoking topics. I'll keep reading the thread for more. - Dean

Mike

Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #27
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Truitt View Post
how about a gun that has been permanently rechambered down one gauge.
(IE: 10 bore rechambered permanently to a 12)

I wonder how complicated that might become.... An inspector with a set of inspection tools and charts much like is done at car racing events to be sure everyone is sticking to the rules. How would an inspector determine if a gun were "permanently" rechambered?
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #28
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
I prefer keeping it original with no tubes, but am not offended if others feel differently.

I may bring my DH 10 with its orphan 12 gauge barrels and hope that is ok. The barrels are as they left the factory, just with a different receiver.

In my opinion, that would be perfectly okay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #29
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a 0-grade 16 hammer gun on a O-frame I had sleeved to a 32" 20 gauge. When I bought the gun from a member here the barrels were heavily pitted and unsafe to use. Now it has a new lease on life and is a great dove/clays gun. Brad Batchelder did the work. I'm not trying to fool anyone with it but it is the most fun gun I own and I shoot it in every sub-gauge match I can.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #30
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

I have seen Ed's gun and it is quite nice. I think any ban should stop at Briley tubes and gauge mates
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post: