Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,604 Times in 2,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
Interestingly enough Formby's Tung Oil contains no Tung Oil.

"On the other hand, Formby’s, Zar, Gillespie, and Hope’s “Tung Oil Finish” are wiping varnish—nothing more than regular varnish to which mineral spirits has been added, thinning the varnish so that it can be wiped on. (You can make your own wiping varnish by thinning the varnish you already own 50/50 with mineral spirits.) As with the oil/varnish blends mentioned, none of these wiping varnishes contains so much as a drop of tung oil."

Formby’s Tung Oil Finish is an alkyd resin wiping varnish made with soya (soybean) oil. It contains absolutely no tung oil.

http://community.woodmagazine.com/t5...To-Do/ba-p/190

FYI, then before and after application:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg formbys 003.jpg (117.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg formbys 004.jpg (91.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg formbys 006.jpg (102.8 KB, 1 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,792 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
FYI, then before and after application:
It was easy to apply. It did enhance the finish of three guns I applied it to. The weather tests will come this fall.

As far as no tung oil in Formby's Tung Oil, that is what you can find on several wood working sites if you look. I don't care, it works on the guns.

"What you quoted from the label confirms exactly what I said, that Formby's Tung Oil Finish contains no tung oil--only varnish made from tung oil and other oils (probably linseed oil.) Once there has been a chemical reaction between the tung oil and the resins it no longer is oil, nor does it behave like oil--it behaves like a varnish with about 69% mineral spirits content.

This is not to say it doesn't do a good job, but only that it isn't an oil finish. It's more like Waterlox (also varnish made from tung oil and resin) than like Watco (a mix of varnish with oil (linseed) and thinner) and not at all like pure tung oil.

My real objection is the deception involved in the marketing. Its really all just marketing designed to make consumers think there is something special or unique about products that are quite similar. There just aren't any "secret" formulas or ingredients as far as competitors are concerned, just attempts to mislead consumers. In the cynical marketing view "tung oil" is just an adjective modifying "Finish", and therefore it means whatever they want it to mean."

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...g-oil-question
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

I left the news business many years ago and went into advertising (marketing).

One of my rationales was that I could live with myself as an ad man because any reasonable person could be expected to realize that it was all bullpucky on its face and couldn't be trusted as fact.

As opposed to the news... which most people foolishly believe is fact.

If Formbys works... use it because it does. Not because of what it "says."
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I guess I'm confused. The Formby's I use says on the can that it is a varnish made from tung oil and other penetrating oils. That is what I read and it was recommended so I bought and used it. I did not understand it to be pure tung oil and who knows, pure tung oil may not be the right stuff to use. I figure Formby's knows more than I do about producing an effective finish.

I think it does an acceptable job of making a mat surface look shinier, feel smoother and bringing out some detail.

Yet we have one person contending that it contains absolutely no tung oil and another another talking about "bullpucky" and all couldn't be trusted as fact.

Maybe somebody could explain what all this is about and what it wrong with Formby's etc. If there is a better magic stuff to use, please educate me.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,792 Times in 1,365 Posts

Let me make it as simple as possible.

I pointed out that Fromby's Tung Oil Finish is not Tung oil. This comes from woodworking refinishing circles. Those posts pointed out it is a simple wiping varnish (pre-prepared for use). No big deal except I found it interesting and realized that pure tung oil may not provide the pop in contrast or protection of composite barrels as the Formby's product (aka warning to others, use Formby's not something else on the shelf that says tung oil).

It made my barrels look better, it was easy to apply, it was easy to find in the store, it dried quickly and evenly, I hope it provides protection from rust in rain and snow better than gun oil.

I will probably never use the stuff on a piece of wood.

I hope this helps clear your confusion.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I used the stuff on my portable gun display racks, and I thought it looked fine. I had a lot left and thought I may as well use it, but I realize these racks are not fine woodworking.
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #27
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

All that I was trying to get across is simply this: Advertising is based on partial truth. Or... no truth at all. Put whatever you want on your gun barrels if you believe it works for you.
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #28
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,399 Times in 3,364 Posts

I've redone several old Marlin rifle stocks and several Browning shotgun stocks with the "Brownell's Tung Oil" and I have also used "Formby's Tung Oil" .

On "wood" they both did pretty much the same thing .

The biggest difference I noticed was the consistency . Formby's is more like water and the Brownell's stuff is more like syrup , thick oil whatever yo wanna call it . But whatever one calls it the Brownell's pure Tung oil was ALOT thicker .

Back when I Grouse hunted alot I had a little Browning Citori Upland Special 16 gauge I stripped the finish on and redid it with about 30 coats of Brownell's Tung Oil and it worked very nicely . Grouse hunting the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia is a little tough on gun stocks .
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

I just put some Formby's Tung Oil finish (satin variety) on a pair of redone damascus barrels. They look very good. I think the thin consistency helps it penetrate the surface. Overall, I think the result is a bit better than my usual "finish."

And one small bottle of this stuff should last you for 20 years of barrel finishing.
Unread 08-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #30
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Guy's were can Formby's be purchased?