Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Engraving & Engravers

Notices

Unread 10-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

As someone said already this looks like German work to me. I also think it is a homegrown wood worker, who was skilled. A great many Germans immigrated in the 19th Century.

I don't like the German carved guns, and this is not my taste, but it is well done and interesting. Gun looks in nice condition.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
Gary Cripps
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks, It's a working gun and did OK last week end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0282.jpg (519.9 KB, 4 views)
Gary Cripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
Brent Francis
Forum Associate

Member Info

I like it. Its very well done. I would prefer a g with a nice touch like that makes it unique. Ive heard its only in America that we insist on all original in our antiques. Lucky for me I dont care if I like the way it looks I take the savings to the bank. then again I never sell anything.
Brent Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brent Francis For Your Post:
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Gary, that gun is a fine piece of work and I would buy it. Leroy Merz had a carved Parker for a while and someone saw it for what it was and now it is gone. I should have bought it. It was a great gun as yours is.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Guten Tag, Herr Oberst!
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Guten Tag, Herr Oberst!

[quote=Bruce Day;29718]There are other examples of folk art carving on buttstocks, done with varying degrees of success. This is likethe Germanic Scheutzen ( sp?) style. Ja- schuetzen Oberst Day- ist das korrekte Wort fur 'shooting' in der Deutschen Sprache gerade als groBem fettem pickelkopf beschreibt ein von Herrn W.S's- Komodienskizzen. Ich bein auf Deutsch ein wenig flieBend und Spanisch-- aber es ist haufig-- nutzlich!!

Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Me too--
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Me too--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I agree.
- Eyes like an eagle, talons like a spring steel trap- Der Alder ist gelandet, Ja!! I love German and Austrian firearms, both military and civilian/sporting versions. I have seen several fine drillings (drei- three auf deutsch- three barreled- but they all are that goofy 16 gauge that they seem to like over there in Europe-the workmanship, fit and fitting- look at all the great American gunmakers and engravers from Germany that settled here- : Pachmayr, Wunderlich, Fugger, Schellhammer, Wundhammer, Apfel, AH Fox (Fuchs auf deutsch) he didn't build his "Filly factory' in Germantown sector just for 'laughs"--Ya- das ist gut!!!
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #17
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

Francis, have you been into the schnapps this morning?
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Every morning-
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Every morning-

Schnapps is waaaay better for curing 'morning mouth' that Lavoris or Scope. Hoping to find a Warsteiner Brau flavored toothpaste, but no luck so far.
Tonight I am serving roast goose mit sauerkraut-kugel- brot- und Leibfraumilch-- and for the post-prandial, after the fish and goose soirre ( a friend is bringing smoked salmon and pickled herring -lukefist- das ist GUT--we'll have "open bar on the schnapps mit sprtizen-- I won big time on the World serious- had the games to go 7 (Yup) and the Cards to win it all (yup again) so we are having a wild game fest at my humble abode tonight--

The tomorrow, we can all commiserate with the detroit "Pussy-kats' as then get their tails tucked between their kneecaps in Denver-- c'est la Vie!!
Unread 10-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

16 gauge guns are great guns..Many of us here really have an affliction for them. To say 12 gauge is the only way to go is short sighted.
Unread 10-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #20
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

The more I study the issue, the more I think the English method of varying the weight of shot by shortening the shells and shooting them all through a 12 bore is a good idea. This is why they make such light 12 bore guns. While shooting shorter shells with less energy and shot weight, pretty much makes auto's unusable, who cares? We are break up guns types aren't we?

My Lefever I grade is very light and I'm going to shoot shorter shells in it - just for the heck of it. Up to now I've been shooting 1 oz loads-store bought. My Fox is quite heavy and I'm shooting heaver loads in it. My GH? Haven't shot it yet, it's still busted inside somewhere. While I own 20's and 16's, the thought of shooting a 12 with 2" and 2.5" shells intrigues me. You know, just for the fun of it.

Someday maybe I'll own a fine English double chambered for shooter shells. I hope so. I'll have to find one cheap however; unlikely huh.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote