Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 07-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #21
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

All Briley chokes are rated for no-tox. "Some" Briley chokes are rated for steel. I shot a ten gauge AYA with steel for more than a decade without damage. Yes, I would consider it a waste of money to install chokes in an NID ten. Sacrilege? Don't know about that.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #22
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
All Briley chokes are rated for no-tox. "Some" Briley chokes are rated for steel. I shot a ten gauge AYA with steel for more than a decade without damage. Yes, I would consider it a waste of money to install chokes in an NID ten. Sacrilege? Don't know about that.
Only reason I brought it up the idea is because pugs has a NID 10 mag that someone bored the chokes out of .

And I was looking at pattern testing on another site with the 10 ga 3.5" using tss shot and I think they was getting 500 hits in a 30" circle at 40 yards with a #9 tss . From what I've read it's about the weight of a #5 lead shot size . Nasty stuff but I would be hesitant to put that through any barrel I owned haha .

The 10 ga browning pump I had patterned steel T shot evenly at 40 yards with a light modified choke . I used 7.5 lead shot in the RST 2 7/8 loads . Found it a bit lacking at times for squirrels so next time I may go with #5 or #4 .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2019, 11:53 PM   #23
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

milt go with the no 5 shot while the leaves are on they have enough power to shoot through the leaves and get that squirl....7 1/2 shot works fine on squirls when leaves are off trees...i need to start loading me some squirl loads....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2019, 01:12 AM   #24
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
milt go with the no 5 shot while the leaves are on they have enough power to shoot through the leaves and get that squirl....7 1/2 shot works fine on squirls when leaves are off trees...i need to start loading me some squirl loads....charlie
Charlie for a long time I used my 10 ga 3.5"s for squirrels using the winchester hv turkey loads 2oz of #5s at 1300fps and the remington 2 1/4 oz load of #4s .
The hv 2oz always patterned better for me but both were more than sufficient I would say .

People think that lead turkey loads would ruin a squirrel but actually the most damage I ever seen on a squirrel was from a 17 hmr . Usually using these heavy shotgun loads I would only count a couple of hits on the squirrel regardless if I used a 1 1/4 oz load in a smaller gauge or 2 1/4 in a 10 ga .

I am going to have to buy a bag of shot for the muzzleloader and Im not sure what size I need to get I really want to use it on coyotes so im debating between lead #2s which I have read will kill a yote but thats highly debatable . Or lead T shot which bpi sells , one thing to note is that here in Georgia #2 Lead is legal for turkey but probably not ideal . Seems like I will need to buy two bags of different shot size .

Charlie after hurricane Michael last year we dont really have many trees , Id say a good 60%+ of them were removed by the hurricane . If you ever seen pictures of the Tunguska blast that what it looks like here now .
Unread 07-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #25
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i have used the 3 1/2 inch 10 ga for squirls it will reach out and get them....i ve used the 8 ga many times for squirl hunting too and it gets the job done....will try the davenport 8 ga with 36 inch barrel and 4 inch chamber this fall on squirl it has full choke barrel...charlie
Unread 07-28-2019, 04:07 AM   #26
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
i have used the 3 1/2 inch 10 ga for squirls it will reach out and get them....i ve used the 8 ga many times for squirl hunting too and it gets the job done....will try the davenport 8 ga with 36 inch barrel and 4 inch chamber this fall on squirl it has full choke barrel...charlie
Are you going to be using RMCs 4" 8 ga cases ?
I wouldnt mind finding one of those Davenports this winter but they dont show up often . They have a pretty thick barrel ive seen the walls measure .120 at their minimum . I just got permission to hunt yotes on some land my dads best friend owns . So I hope to get to use the 8 gauge and perhaps a 10 gauge for that .
Unread 07-28-2019, 10:21 PM   #27
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

a 3 3/4 inch hull is the longest hull case i have it loads and fires fine...will have to look in on the rmc brass hull....these davenports do have very thick barrels maybe you can find you a davenport...charlie
Unread 07-28-2019, 10:41 PM   #28
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
a 3 3/4 inch hull is the longest hull case i have it loads and fires fine...will have to look in on the rmc brass hull....these davenports do have very thick barrels maybe you can find you a davenport...charlie
I know some 8 ga shooters would buy the brass RMC hulls and have them headstamped 10 ga so they could take them waterfowling

RMC is planning on ceasing operations though because their machinist is becoming a police officer but last I looked they were still taking orders .
Well if I cant find one there are plenty of fine old 10 gauges that need a home .

Charlie I seen a thread on another site where a fellow was shooting industrial slugs out of his davenport sounds pretty dangerous but Ive found out myself its hard to inform people the kind of care and diligence needed when shooting and taking care of old guns like these .