Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #21
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Those two have been on GB for about five years now . I got an EH 2 frame with factory original 28” barrels at an auction little over a year ago in decent shape for a lot less then the 28” cut barrel gun you posted the link to . And yes the 28” gun is a bit open it’s not difficult to shoot 98% with it on the skeet field shooting the mild 1 1/8 ounce 18.6 grains Red Dot load .
Yeah I clearly also remember that bonehill he's selling has been up for 5yrs also . Maybe he has all his 10 bores priced too high ? I've noticed pugs has some parker listed that's been up for about 5yrs also though .
Personally I'd probably never buy a cut down gun unless it's a super rare one . I priced the cost of sleeving cut barrels to bring them back to their original length .
Think the price I seen was close to 5,000$ .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #22
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
Is there anyway to tell frame size on parkers 10 when the seller doesnt have it listed ?
It’s simple send them
a message or call them and ask what the number stamped on the bottom of the barrel lug is ! And if they don’t wanna tell you then they don’t wanna sell very bad !
Unread 07-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #23
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
Yeah I clearly also remember that bonehill he's selling has been up for 5yrs also . Maybe he has all his 10 bores priced too high ?
IMHO he has everything he’s got priced high . But if it’s high you can always make an offer worst he can do is say no .
Unread 07-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #24
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
IMHO he has everything he’s got priced high . But if it’s high you can always make an offer worst he can do is say no .
Just makes me cautious when a gun like that is listed is "mirror bores" Griffin and howe have the same model bonehill but in with more of the original finish . The gb sale comes with a reproduction case I wonder how much a case like that is ? I would think maybe 200-300$?

I if I wasn't planning on buying my first parkers is probably grab one of the bonehills. I miss mine and would love to have one in good condition . Now if I could find a bonehill in 8ga I would be head over hills .
Unread 07-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #25
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
It’s simple send them
a message or call them and ask what the number stamped on the bottom of the barrel lug is ! And if they don’t wanna tell you then they don’t wanna sell very bad !
I wasn't interested in that particular parkers not a fan of the grip on that one but just noticed it was 1lb heavier than all the other #3 frames 10s listed.
Unread 07-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #26
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

You had best slow down with your check writing. The gunbroker guns are not good guns, regardless of price. Next, be aware that the barrel width of an eight or a ten is determined by frame size. Each frame size is different and width of each frame size is the same if the frame size is the same. All dimensions of frames are in a chart in The Parker Story. I have never seen a #3 frame eight gauge, nor have I seen a #6 frame hammer gun. I have seen a #5 frame hammer gun but it was very early and an oddball. You can tell whether such a thing is possible by measuring the base of the eight gauge shell and knowing the width of a #3 frame gun. Will two of the shells fit with room in the middle? There is your answer about the possibility of such an animal.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #27
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
You had best slow down with your check writing. The gunbroker guns are not good guns, regardless of price. Next, be aware that the barrel width of an eight or a ten is determined by frame size. Each frame size is different and width of each frame size is the same if the frame size is the same. All dimensions of frames are in a chart in The Parker Story. I have never seen a #3 frame eight gauge, nor have I seen a #6 frame hammer gun. I have seen a #5 frame hammer gun but it was very early and an oddball. You can tell whether such a thing is possible by measuring the base of the eight gauge shell and knowing the width of a #3 frame gun. Will two of the shells fit with room in the middle? There is your answer about the possibility of such an animal.
Oh im not writing any checks soon im just browsing the market to see whats available . I can pm the serial # for the #6 8 gauge hammer gun I am looking at .
I was just wondering how big of a 10 gauge frame a #3 was . I have seen some of the spanish sxs 10s bored to 8 and some of the old h&r 10s bored to 8 gauge which i believe had around a 1.250 barrel diameter at the breach is why I was asking what the barrel diameter was for the 10 ga barrels on the #3s .These are pretty straight barrels however and not really tapered much at all like you see on a nice sxs .

I was just thinking if parker had the barrels materials we have today then they probably could have built a 8 gauge on a #3 frame unless the barrels are less than 1.250 or 1.350"

So the #4 frame would be considered a heavy 10 ga ?

I just been trying to find info on all the different frames parker built 10 gauges on . I cant find any pictures of a 10 on the #4 , #5 , and #7 frame sizes .
Unread 07-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #28
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

I didnt mean to say it was a good idea or anything like that just I have seen done before .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8ga.jpg (4.5 KB, 88 views)
Unread 07-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #29
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

You are misunderstanding me. A #3 frame is the same size no matter what gauge it is. The barrel diameter at the breech is the same for a ten or an eight, assuming the frame size is the same. Check the chart in TPS. Stand two shells side by side, base down, and measure. That will answer most, if not all, of your questions. To answer your question about the #4 frame ten and whether it is considered heavy, consider this. A #2, #3, #4, or a #6 frame ten is usually heavy, some heavier than others. Our members own #6 frame tens and will probably share their weights with you.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #30
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
You are misunderstanding me. A #3 frame is the same size no matter what gauge it is. The barrel diameter at the breech is the same for a ten or an eight, assuming the frame size is the same. Check the chart in TPS. Stand two shells side by side, base down, and measure. That will answer most, if not all, of your questions. To answer your question about the #4 frame ten and whether it is considered heavy, consider this. A #2, #3, #4, or a #6 frame ten is usually heavy, some heavier than others. Our members own #6 frame tens and will probably share their weights with you.
Sorry if I was getting confused, what I was trying to say for example if you built a 12 ga on say a #3 it would have thicker walls than a 10 ga since on the #3 frame size . Like a 16 gauge if built on a #3 frame would have even thicker chamber walls . I was asking if the #3 frame if fitted with 8 ga barrels would the chamber walls be too thin ?
I was just thinking of the soanish 10 bores some have bored to 8 gauge . They have plenty of chamber thickness but you run into barrel wall thinness. I was just wondering parker frame is large like the later 10 ga magnum frames . I read ithaca beefed up their nid frame when clambering for the 10 ga 3.5 . I have seen 12s built on 16 frame sizes and 16s built on 20ga frame sizes. I was thinking it would be possible to do the same with a 8 ga on a 10 frame . Just hypothetical speaking here . I was wondering if parker ever done it . I was thinking the #3 could be considered a small frame 10 ga frame compared to other sxs 10 gauges .