Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
Matto
PGCA Member

Member Info

I hear you Mills! Those smaller bore G grades are sure a lot more pricier than my 16 and 12 ga. Just means I have to save up a little longer. 20 ga. is next up for me.
Unread 06-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

If I had the nickels and I was getting a deal the Parker was mine. Seven years ago I did a partial dispersal and kept the six family Parkers plus four that I've either had a very long time or are of no real value, but fun to have. I even let a VH 28 go, but I have hopes that the family DHE 28 will find its way to my house.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #13
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

My collection is based solely on the gun having the inscription Parker Bros on frame and barrels
Unread 06-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

I let a GH 20/28 combo get away and it is driving me nuts. The 28 barrels were aftermarket, so the price was reasonable. So it goes . . .
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #15
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,409 Times in 293 Posts

This is a great topic to ponder. As I do I think over the different phases I have gone through over the past decades – first I wanted guns of certain grade and condition regardless of fit and chokes. Then the pendulum swung completely the other way and my only concerns being choke, frame size, and fit for “hunt-ability.” Now I have landed somewhere close to the middle. Medium grades and hunt-ability reign supreme in my desires, but also enough condition to be considered a “sweet spot gun” (50% at minimum and hopefully better condition) – my allowances for gun fit have also widened as I have aged.
But my first thought with every gun I lift is still “where will I hunt this gun”?
My modest collection will attest to this. I have just a few guns that I have not yet hunted but all of them could get the call on any given day if the circumstances are right.
I wonder what my gun room will look like a decade from now?

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MARK KIRCHER For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #16
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

A cousin of mine said he did not have enough Parkers to be a member of PGCA which is not true at all. Actually one good Parker would be the great Parker collection for some
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Mark, a decade from now is a completely different situation for me at 73 than it is for many Parker guys. Watch the obituaries.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #18
JLoew
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,143 Times in 830 Posts

In my work, I have probably seen as many Parker collections as anyone alive today. It really is a true privilege and I can say unequivocally, the great Parker collections of our time are are not the biggest. The biggest ones - typically over 100-150 guns often have a lot of mundane Parkers or parts guns.

Many of the collections I see are an amalgamation of guns the person thought were “cheap” when purchased. Buying on price alone, one typically ends up with a mish-mash of fair guns but usually very few desirable or collectible guns.

Undoubtedly, the finest collections, in my opinion, are highly focused and refined. They are usually less than 75 guns and end up becoming the perfect product of years of passion, dedication, and some risk. It takes a passionate person to seek a focused collection - the focus could be something like long barreled guns, big bore guns, high original condition guns, etc. the list goes on. The best collections are constantly being refined each time a better example is able to be acquired. The collector buys the better example and sells the lesser one. Perhaps that means selling the very fine AAHE 12ga to make room for a 20ga AAHE if one comes along, or simply upgrading for better dimensions, configuration, or condition. The “risk” component comes in when buying. This collector usually “steps up” and buys the best. He is taking a risk by paying the price necessary to refine and improve existing holdings. Very few collections are so refined that buying another Parker of high original condition would water down existing holdings.

There has certainly never been a better time in my lifetime to build a great Parker collection than today!!!
Josh Loewensteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #19
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Ed Murderlak had "Benchmark Parkers." As I recall him telling me, these guns were those of the highest factory condition he owned. If a new gun came along it must be equal to or better to even consider. I know some of you have one or more of Ed's benchmark Parkers.

On another note I've found that the pistols, rifles, and shotguns I've amassed over the years hold little to no interest by the grandchildren. They are into semi-autos.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #20
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

My collection would be much smaller if I sold lesser condition guns after finding a better one of the same grade and configuration. A "collection much smaller" is something I should be working on, but it is a rough ride.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: