Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

I did not miss the Guns, my road guy will pick them up. To me it is worth the finders fee to not sign the forms. As for educating the clerk, Iam sure that he is still clueless, just a little more confused. Most of the gun shops in our neck of the woods refer Double customers to us.

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post:
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!
Unread 07-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,195 Posts

I want to know why I can't find gunshops like that, clueless, I love it and hope they stay that way.... Then maybe I can find some cheap guns..... Please do not educate these people......
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,023 Times in 1,065 Posts

I was in a well-known gun shop a while back looking at a Parker Bros. gun. The clerk asked if he could help me and I mentioned that the barrels on the gun appeared to have been cut. He said, "Well, you know, those Parkers are made in England, and they use centimeters there instead of inches, so it's hard to tell if they've been cut." I have to admit I had no come back.
Unread 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Yearout View Post
I was in a well-known gun shop a while back looking at a Parker Bros. gun. The clerk asked if he could help me and I mentioned that the barrels on the gun appeared to have been cut. He said, "Well, you know, those Parkers are made in England, and they use centimeters there instead of inches, so it's hard to tell if they've been cut." I have to admit I had no come back.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Grantham Forester
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg conomos View Post
Well....the way I see it you came out on the short end of the stick. You let your need to make a point get in the way of your buying a couple guns. I would have signed a paper that stated Martha Washington played forward for the Knicks if that's what they felt the needed.
Gee guys, I thought it was Martha Stewart that played forward for the Knicks, right after she got out of the pen for "insider trading"?

Heard they had a really great floating wooden court in her "Country Club Prison" too- Oh wait, maybe she played point guard for the Celtics, my bad.

I bought the 12 gauge Dumoulin Y Fils ( and sons, for those here who might not parlez Francois) hammer Damascus gun from a gentleman who asked me if I knew about only using Black Powder shells in it. I replied: "Yes, I do, and I have plenty on hand", cased the gun and walked out with it and a signed receipt. Done deal!!!
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Upon a bit of reflection, I can rationalize Brad Bachelder's reticence to sign a document absolving responsibility for the "danger" in Damascus barrels. He is a FFL licensed professional who deals in many of these guns. If he signs a document that recognizes their inherent "danger," then that document can be used against his shop in a potential legal action. Whether it involves the specific guns in question or not.

All it takes is some litigious idiot to put a 3-inch steel duck load in the wrong gun.

Of course, it's all based on a gigantic piece of marketing bullpucky, invented to promote the sale of cheap fluid steel gun barrels...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

I knew a guy that told me of someone that thought their Lefever was chambered for 3" shells because it was called a "Nitro Special".
Unread 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #18
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,166 Posts

Guys how is this really surprising? It's only been 10 years or so that this information has been fairly widespread in the US. When every box of shells made in the USA have had the words "do not use in guns having twist or damascus barrels" for pushing 100 years it's going to be hard to dispel the myth.

Just taking a wild guess, I'd say most of the guys commenting on this thread thought it was true themselves until not too long ago........

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 07-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #19
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

So here then is the real question for you gents. If every box of shotgun ammo for most if not all of our lives says not to use in Damascus barrels and even the fine book:" Parker: America's Finest Shotgun", states it emphatically several times(ok, I know it has been shown to not be accurate on everything it claims, but it is still a good read) why the sudden change, and why would John Q Public suddenly depart from what he has been told was fact his entire life? Just pointing out that your average gun owner doesn't educate and read up on guns like most on here. Heck, your average gun owner wouldn't buy a gun with wood on it anyway unless it was painted black and had a rail mounted on it.
Bill Holcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #20
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,166 Posts

For the most part, in the US, it all came about with the beginning of Sherman Bell's series of articles called "Finding Out For Myself". What about 99.9% of the folks here in this country never figured out was that we were the only country in the world where the old damascus or twist guns were ever feared. Try telling the "blowing up" story to somebody from Europe or England that's interested in vintage doubles. They'll look at you like you're nuts.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote