Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Damascus Barrels
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,604 Times in 2,666 Posts

Default Damascus Barrels

Not wanting to hijack Jerry's thread, viewers may be interested in these. The first three photos are of C's with fine Damascus, both made about 1904. The one on the left is original finish, the right one refinished by Brad Bachelder.

The last two are of an 1885 G Hammer 16, SN 45, 901 . All barrel Damascus segments are matched and it is difficult to find butt seams. See for yourself about spiral matching between adjoining barrels. The barrels are original finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damascus01 001.jpg (539.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg damascus01 002.jpg (529.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg damascus01 003.jpg (493.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg damascus01 004.jpg (496.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg damascus01 005.jpg (499.4 KB, 9 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,023 Times in 12,313 Posts

Thanks Bruce, those are very nice examples.

Nice work from Brad's shop too.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
John Havard
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Bruce for the great photos. Fluid steel tubes are so boring.
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,244 Posts

Bruce's image is an excellent example of 4 Iron Turkish 'Star'. Note the prominent 'stars' alternating black (steel) and white (iron). Don't ask how they did that

Bruce: are the flats stamped 'DD' or D4?
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 02-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,411 Posts

I could look at photos like that forever. Just something about good Damascus barrels.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great pictures! I love the appearance of Damascus barrels and prefer them to liquid steal. Damascus barrels are much stronger than we, or at least, I, have been lead to believe.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Really beautiful Damascus.

Thanks.
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yesterday I delivered my ancient O grade L.C. Smith to Keith Kearcher, our local gunsmith who specializes in bringing back damascus barrels. He is going to take the action down, clean it and repair the safety, which is probably just out of alignment. He is going to freshen the checkering on the wrist and forearm to about half way to new. I don't want to make the gun look like a new gun. Nor do I want to re-do the case colors. A bit of cleaning will be fine.

He is going to open the chokes to IC and Modified. I'll shoot it at skeet using RST. He peeked down the bore and said he'd be able to hone most of the roughness out. The pits aren't too deep. I want to shoot the gun, tho so I don't want the bores opened up too much, or honed too thin.

He miked the bore and said they measured .30 at the thinnest point, which was enough meat to work with.

Cost will come to something like $650. I will end up being into the gun about $1100, which is okay with me, but about max, I think, for an O grade, gun dates to 1900. But she'll be a pretty gun and fun to break out of the case at various shoots.

So, now I have a Fox Sterlingworth, Lefever I grade, Parker GH and this Smith 0 grade. All of them are in super fine condition..not new, but very fine, classic low grade guns with great bones.

Kearcher said it'd be about 3 weeks to do the work. I'm like a kid at Christmas. As soon as the gun comes in, I'll post pics.
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Concerning my group of early 20th Century double guns. They are all heavy, especially when compared to modern double barreled guns. I don't know how to weigh them, but when I pick one up it is heavier than other guns. The low combs don't bother me. When I mount all of the guns, they come up fine and my eye runs right down in between the barrels.

I was raised shooting a Crescent 20 gauge which I still own and shoot. But over the years I gravitated to single barreled guns, mostly Remington Model 11's and Browning Auto 5's. I still like them. I went to O/U's when I could get them cheap (Miroku guns), but after it was all said and done, I didn't like them much, but I shot them for 20 years, when it was cool to do so.

Autos? Yes, I've a few and frankly I like them more than I am supposed to. I like my strange Win Model 59. Everyone hates them but me. I have two barrels, a full and modified, but I have to wear a mask when I shoot it. The Lone 59 shooter. I am crazy about the Browning Auto 5 and own four of them. Two Brownings a 12mag and 2&3/4" shooter and a 20 and 16 Remington Model 11. I own a Browning Gold fusion that is a pretty thing, but far to light in the receiver and I don't shoot it very well. I'll use it for geese tho, if I ever get a chance to shoot some again.

I am crazy for pumps. I like them because they aren't too popular today. Those "in the know" buy autos. Not me. I have five model 12s, 3 Ithaca model 37s and two 870s, also a model 97.

But when push comes to shove, handling a classic double barreled gun has them all licked. They speak of days long gone by, when my grandfather was a kid. He was also a heck of a shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
jerry serie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Can anyone following this thread comment on the quality of Damascus barrels? TPS say that there were "fine" and "finest" Damascus barrels. Are these differ types marked in anyway on the barrel flats? I have a 2 grade lifter that is marked with "DD" on the barrel flats. Does this have any indication of Damascus quality? Thanks....Jerry
jerry serie is offline   Reply With Quote