Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

How to tell if you have modified chambers ?
Unread 01-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default How to tell if you have modified chambers ?

I was hunting with my bonehill today and you know how the rst 10 ga shells have their white logo on them ? well they leave white residue in my chambers where the chamber should stop . but when I look down the barrel the chamber goes another 1/2" or possibly 3/4" more it seems . I'm thinking someone lengthen them to 3.5" years ago , its a thick walled gun but still . I have some 3.5" 10 ga shells laying around so I just dropped some in the barrel and they slide in smooth as silk . I dont have a chamber gauge so is there any way I can tell for sure ?
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,596 Times in 1,549 Posts

Milton - I would assume that the 3 1/2" shells are in fact about 3 1/4" unfired. To use your measurement method, I think you should try to put a fired shell in the chamber. If it still goes in easily, then it would seem that the chambers are in fact 3 1/2"
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

well I opened one of the 3.5" shells and it slide right in both chambers . I will get a picture after the original chamber there is discoloration the metal looks newer
Unread 01-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

the chambers are one color thens there a grey area after them then the bore
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Milton You can pour a chamber cast using parafine. I do it all the time. Just lightly grease the chamber and make sure you get it full all the way. As it cools you will have to add parafine. The trick is to let it cool and harden for a hour or so and then nock it out and throw it in the freezer for about an hour. That will let you handle it for long enough to get your measurements. By the way try not to pour it on the outside of the barrels. Makes a real mess. Take a set of calipers and set them at .835. Slide the cast into the calipers until they just touch the parifine. Slightly rotate the cast to make a light mark. Then you can measure the lenth.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,168 Times in 1,192 Posts

Milton, just for info ..... unfired 10 gauge - 3-1/2" shells (either vintage papers or older & modern plastic) will not fully chamber in factory-original Ithaca NID Super 10's that were made for American 2-7/8" shells. I have tried it on multiple Ithacas. Shells will stick out of the chambers by about 1/4", cannot be forced in with finger pressure, and will obviously prevent the barrels from closing. I don't know about Bonehills or other makers but I wouldn't be surprised if your chambers had been lengthened for 3-1/2 inchers.
Frank Srebro is online now   Reply With Quote