Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 07-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,244 Posts

Dennis: lots of smiths have harvested old Damascus barrels, or purchased Belgian tubes from Peter Dyson http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog...S_BARRELS.html
Again, to my knowledge no one, other than Steve Culver, has manufactured a new pattern welded barrel in this country.
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Jack Kuzepski
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm probably wrong, but I thought that I'd read that Greener was making some new guns with damascus barrels from some old stock of barrels that they had.

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Kuzepski For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

W.W. Greener produced new shotguns with damascus barrels in 2007-2008
From http://www.wwgreener.com/Shotguns.htm
"Barrels - are made of the highest quality steel and bored to maintain the famous choke boring improvements, made by W W Greener in the 1870s, to optimise shooting performance, and to ensure patterns of shot guaranteed to meet customers' exact requirements whether for game, wildfowl or clay pigeon shooting. A few pairs of guns are being made with interchangeable steel and Damascus barrels."

Courtesy of Vic Venters (Dec. 2008), who wrote an article in the Sept/Oct '07 issue of Shooting Sportsman regarding the Greener guns:
"They are indeed newly made damascus barrels, built on vintage tubes that David Dryhurst -- Greener's master gunmaker -- has been collecting since the '60s and '70s. Some are old Greener stock, some are English and no doubt some are Belgian. A few of these sets came from Dyson...They are not lined. The guns are being made in 28-ga up through 12, and maybe in 10-ga. At least 25 of these damascus-barreled guns are made or are under way, and I believe more have been ordered since I last asked. At the time of my writing, none had failed English proof. The guns are proofed under standard CIP pressures per the particular gauge.

Most are on sidelocks; some are on reintroduced "G-Guns" -- Facile Princeps actions with Boss ejectorwork. Greeners are a small best maker -- but demand has been so great that I am told they have again closed their order books. They were the last British maker to manufacture their own damascus tubes, and are the first to again offer them in commercial quantities."
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Drew,

We could both be half right. If you check out Bowen Classic Arms, then to Workshop, they to both Sedgley 45 Vaquero and also Damascus Barrel Single Action Army both display Damascus barrels which are not from an old shotgun barrel. On the SAA Bowen says it is a steel liner within a Damascus shell barrel. The handgun I saw from Ross Seyfried years ago had, I believe, a totally Damascus barrel but I have not been able to find the article.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/work...usBarrelSAArmy
"This particular gun started life as United States Firearms Single-Action Army model in .45 Colt. The composite damascus barrel sports an overlay of English gun tube material..."

1916 patent with a similar idea; fluid steel barrel within a Damascus sleeve

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have three damascuss fixed blade knives. They hold an edge very well and will unzip a deer in no time Galazan offers some very nice ones as does our own Paul Harm from LaPeer. I have two of his knives and couldn't be happier with them....unless I had another one
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
Gary
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thats some interesting information.. and yeah it appears that people are starting to understand and want Damascus again.. which is pretty cool i think..
I'm new here but the more im learning the less i am afraid of them.. and can thank the people here for there knowledge and assistance with that..
Gary Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

New Purdey hammergun with vintage 3 Iron Oxford tubes, offered by Griffin & Howe in 2013.

"The Damascus barrels are proofed for 2 3/4" modern smokeless loads."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I want one.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
Snap Cap
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Drew, I talked to Steve Culver today. He told me his current equipment would limit the maximum length of any Damascus barrel he could build to a maximum of about 12 inches.

I don't know if there is enough time to get a new Damascus auto and burglar built before the Spring Southern but, One of Ithaca's 1922 advertisements said " With it the average person can hit objects thrown in the air easier than with the regulation shotgun fired from the shoulder."
Fred Verry is offline   Reply With Quote