Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 11-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,570 Times in 3,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
as with so much of this - this is my opinion only, but I do not think e give enough thought to what a shotgun fired over their heads for several seasons does to their sensitive hearing - i expect more damage is done that way than by beepers -
Rick has a great point. Not only does shooting harm the dog's hearing, but how many of us "experienced" hunters also have some hearing loss? And we are not experiencing the muzzle blast that the dog frequently does. Come to think of it, I used to shoot a lot more over the two dogs I mentioned that went deaf. There were more birds then, and I tried to take more than I do now.

Rick's story of his dog that knew where the warm clubhouse was reminds me of the dogs that I hunted with bells. I know this is hard to believe, but when they went on point and I could not locate them, I would toot the whistle and they would jingle the bell (without breaking point) so I could find them. I know this sounds like a tall tale, but my wife can attest to it.

I'm sure that all of my dogs have been smarter than I. They just couldn't drive themselves to the field...thank goodness! Otherwise, they would probably have left me at home.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: