Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

General question about Parker value
Unread 06-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default General question about Parker value

How much does the value of an otherwise all original Parker go down if it has been restocked? The one I am considering looks like it has had the butt stock replaced. It's a good job -- has the original butt plate and grip cap, the wood to metal fit is perfect and the finish look right. But the checkering doesn't match the forend -- it's sharp and crisp with fewer lines per inch. The forend is finer but well worn. Even to my untrained eyes it's obvious -- but I still like the gun because it fits me and it's a Parker.

I'm looking for a percentage -- thinking maybe 20% reduction -- but I really have no idea. Thanks in advance for your help.
Ronald Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Consider the possibility that the seller may have already taken the restock into account when he priced the gun and priced it accordingly.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Consider the possibility that the seller may have already taken the restock into account when he priced the gun and priced it accordingly.

Maybe I'm not thinking about this correctly but I'm trying to establish a fair price. The way I normally do that when it comes to firearms (I am not an experienced collector -- just a hobbyist) is: 1) do a search in the major gun websites and compare what other people are asking for the same gun, 2) google search to see if the same make and model come up in any other sites, and 3) check the Blue Book value.

The problem in this case is that I can only find guns that are original. So I have a good idea what the value is for that gun in original condition but I have no way to find out what a restocked version of that gun is is worth. That's why I am asking the question here.

I figured maybe there was a rule of thumb that could be applied for various things like restocking, rebluing, complete restoration etc. Is that not the case?

How do experienced collectors come up with a value? Or is it totally subjective?

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald Scott For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

[QUOTE=Ronald Scott;275793 1) do a search in the major gun websites and compare what other people are asking for the same gun,
Thanks![/QUOTE]

you may look for those that sold -asking price is often unrealistic, or at best very hopeful
Unread 06-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
you may look for those that sold -asking price is often unrealistic, or at best very hopeful
Most sites just say "SOLD" and don't provide the actual selling price. I figure the asking price is almost always more than what the seller will ultimately take. Either way I'm comparing asking prices in both cases -- the gun I am interested in and the gun I am comparing it to. So it's a fair comparison. I think the internet has made price shopping almost too easy, at least from the seller's perspective. But it also evens the playing field and allows the buyer a way to make sure he is not over paying. The exception being the case like this one when you can find no comparable gun. I doubt a serious collector would be interested in a restocked gun unless it was so rare that there is no other way to get that particular gun. That's not the case here. It's not that rare and for me it would be a shooter.
Unread 06-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Ron, as you suggested, it is highly subjective.
In my opinion some restocked guns lose value because the replacement stock was not done in a ‘period correct’ style or the checkering is wrong, or the wood to metal fit is substandard, among other things.
Some restocks are so well done it is difficult even for experts to determine it is a replacement. Each case is different. It is too subjective to assign a percentage differential to the value... some are devalued and some are not.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

[QUOTE= Or is it totally subjective?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Very, very subjective with opinions on it that vary as much as the numerous scenarios that involve restocks. Restocks are totally dismissed by some buyers while others have a high tolerance level for them. The quality of the work and the stocker will be a major factor. What grade/gauge etc are we speaking of ? A run of the mill 30" VHE 12 bore restock is of little interest, make it a 28 gauge and it's game on especially if done correctly, probably can say the same "game on" for most any A grade and above assuming the work is of high quality. At least that would be true for me but others would have no interest. IMO you will not be able to arrive at a firm number of say 20% as you referenced for a price reduction for a restock. To many variables out there, each one is different. Very subjective just like my opinion eh. Good luck with your gun if you acquire it. BTW what is it if you don't mind sharing that info ?
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Ron, as you suggested, it is highly subjective.
In my opinion some restocked guns lose value because the replacement stock was not done in a ‘period correct’ style or the checkering is wrong, or the wood to metal fit is substandard, among other things.
Some restocks are so well done it is difficult even for experts to determine it is a replacement. Each case is different. It is too subjective to assign a percentage differential to the value... some are devalued and some are not.

Dean we were typing at the same time I think
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

There's a lot of ways to look at the basic question here.

I'd say most generally if the gun is truly in top collectable condition other than the restock and is being looked at from the collectability standpoint alone, a restock would potentially affect the value negatively. There are examples where this rule doesn't apply though. The one that comes to mind is Nash Buckingham's HE Fox "Bo-Whoop" it was restocked before it was put up for auction and brought a very handsome price due to it's provenance.

Then there's what would be considered shooter grade guns that have had something happen to the wood that makes the gun unshootable but the rest of the gun is in good shape. Restocking these guns saves the gun & puts it back in action. In these cases, I'd say the restock adds value due to making the gun useable again, but the restock may not add enough value to re-coup the cost of the restock job.

I guess it really comes down to the old rule of looking at each gun individually. I don't think you can apply a one size fits all rule of putting a percentage number for what a restock would add or subtract for the value of a gun.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Here's an example of a GH that Brain Dudley restocked-restored for me. The original wood had been butchered by a hack with a piece of sandpaper in his hand.

Did the restock add or subtract from the value of this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2353.jpg (335.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2354.jpg (325.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2357.jpg (514.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2360.jpg (346.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2278.jpeg (305.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2277.jpeg (160.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2293.jpeg (289.0 KB, 16 views)
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Ehlers For Your Post: