Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

EH
Unread 06-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,455 Times in 3,382 Posts

Default EH

Finally got around to taking a picture of the four EH guns residing at my house ! All be it a sub standard picture a picture none the less . At the top a circa 1904 34” , second from top a circa 1899 32” , second frombthe bottom a circa 1889 30” and at the bottom a circa 1891 28” .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 723D195D-F3F9-4884-BBE4-C36B64D2AFF0.jpg (503.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ACC37A5F-12B7-4716-AA98-62E9A2F919A6.jpg (489.0 KB, 8 views)
Unread 06-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Now to find factory original EH in 26 and 24 inches !
Unread 06-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Very nice! But you knew I thought that
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 06-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Very nice! But you knew I thought that
Thank you sir !
Unread 06-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

What a nice collection of "big guns." I hope to take a turkey this Fall with my EH. Good luck with your search for short barreled versions. It's nice to be on a quest, eh?
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
What a nice collection of "big guns." I hope to take a turkey this Fall with my EH. Good luck with your search for short barreled versions. It's nice to be on a quest, eh?
Thanks but I doubt I find the 24” as they only show 6 or 7 in the book , that’s not to say there weren’t more but I doubt it to be over twenty at best . The book shows 26” EH at 12 or 13 I think so perhaps with the serial numbers missing there could be maybe thirty of them . But then “the book” showed fifteen I think of the 34” and I lucked into one of them ( I suspect the number of unknown 34” to be greater then the short ones). Good luck with the gobble birds , I’m afraid my hunting this year may take a strong hit as family obligations may keep me out of the woods altogether .
Unread 06-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Thanks but I doubt I find the 24” as they only show 6 or 7 in the book , that’s not to say there weren’t more but I doubt it to be over twenty at best . The book shows 26” EH at 12 or 13 I think so perhaps with the serial numbers missing there could be maybe thirty of them . But then “the book” showed fifteen I think of the 34” and I lucked into one of them ( I suspect the number of unknown 34” to be greater then the short ones). Good luck with the gobble birds , I’m afraid my hunting this year may take a strong hit as family obligations may keep me out of the woods altogether .
Craig, sorry to hear you may miss out on some hunting. I hope things work out well for you and your family.

As for the quest, in the oft-repeated mantra of the PGCA, "Never Say Never!" I bought a 16 hammer gun at an auction, and a year later, lucked into another one. Upon checking serial numbers, I found that they were sequential. I'll take luck when I can get it, so maybe you'll find those short-barreled EHs before you know it. Just imagine the picture of all of them lined up...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post

As for the quest, in the oft-repeated mantra of the PGCA, "Never Say Never!" I bought a 16 hammer gun at an auction, and a year later, lucked into another one. Upon checking serial numbers, I found that they were sequential. I'll take luck when I can get it, so maybe you'll find those short-barreled EHs before you know it. Just imagine the picture of all of them lined up...
Lord a 24” EH would be awesome , I “expect” it’s safe to assume they were relatively open . So that would make the perfect “Archibald Rutledge” deer drive gun with my handloads of 0 or #1 buck . Of course I’d need to get in a group or club and I ain’t really a deer club kinda hunter LOL’s!
Unread 06-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Lord a 24” EH would be awesome , I “expect” it’s safe to assume they were relatively open . So that would make the perfect “Archibald Rutledge” deer drive gun with my handloads of 0 or #1 buck . Of course I’d need to get in a group or club and I ain’t really a deer club kinda hunter LOL’s!
Craig,

I'm also not a deer club hunter, but when I was young, growing up on the Peninsula of VA (in the Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown area) my Dad got us into a "club" of sorts that included guys from our church. It was really a poor man's deer club, with only about 400 acres, but those acres were adjacent to the Colonial Parkway and Cheatam Annex. We did not run dogs on such a small holding, but every now and then the Club "leader" (the guy that knew the judge who owned the land and got us permission to hunt there) would use a beagle to push the deer from an overgrown field. I was just a kid, but I remember the feeling when a deer bounded just ahead of that short-legged beagle. There was a big club that had holdings on what is now Busch Gardens near Williamsburg. I do recall going with Pop to watch a hunt. It was the full-blown pack-of-hounds-running-deer-by-standers affair. We were just observers, but my childhood memories were some of the best of those early days. I, too, am a fan of Rutledge, and I looked into the prospects of buying into a hunt over hounds in the Southern tradition. I've not found anything available, but I do sometimes dream of using one of my Parkers (I think my EH might be too tightly choked) on such a hunt. I really don't care to kill another deer, but it would sure be nice to conjure up something of the tradition...especially with a Parker.

I hope you find that 24" EH! Let us know when you do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I usually hunt with some friends the last couple days of the season in Boswells Tavern in Louisa County . And one year we were doing man drives in s River bottom , they pushed a little buck to me . I was carrying a circa 1892 Parker GH 12 gauge 28” loaded with home cast and loaded slug in the right barrel and home loaded 0 buck in the left barrel . The little buck strolled up and stopped , I was sitting on a log , put the gun up and plunked in the neck with the slug . End of story dead right there it was a lasered 26 yards !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 798C0CCE-FC1B-4B58-8B99-05835547ADC6.jpg (560.9 KB, 3 views)