Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Buying First Gun On Line
Unread 02-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Kurt Sauers
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Buying First Gun On Line

More than likely I'll will be buying my first PR and my first on line purchase. I've been looking on Guns International. I don't know anything about shipping to a FFL. There is a list of ffl's on GI . Do you just go there and tell them you're having a gun shipped to them? Does it cost ? Do they have to do it? Most of what I have read they just say "have it shipped to your FFL". Being a first timer I don't have a FFL.
Kurt Sauers is offline   Reply With Quote
ship to FFL
Unread 02-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
Alan Phillips
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default ship to FFL

It is usually a simple transaction. First find a dealer that you trust to make the transfer. He will send a copy of his FFL to the seller. Once the seller has your payment and the FFL he will ship to the FFL address. Depending on what your state laws are you will have to fill out a Federal form 4473 and go through a background check. If you have a CCW this may be waived in your state. The FFL dealer will pass on to you any state fees and usually charge between $20.00 and $50.00 for his work in the transfer.
Alan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Phillips For Your Post:
Unread 02-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Kurt,

As Alan said, find an FFL close to you and have talked to. If you are buying from a person without an FFL, your FFL may want a picture of the seller's driver's license.

You should talk to the seller about the gun and ask questions.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
FFL
Unread 02-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
Gary Cripps
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default FFL

Kurt from the framing of your question one small adjustment to what others had offered. You can't easily find an FFL. You find a gun shop or dealer close to you. They would have an FFL to operate. Most will provide the service you need.
Gary Cripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
Kurt Sauers
Forum Associate

Member Info

I was assuming all gun shops have a FFL. although there is a shop close by I don't have a relationship with them. I'm gonna stop in and talk to them. since I'm getting a sxs of course I asked a sxs dealer in the state and he said no. Kind of disappointing. I kind of figured it was like a fraternity but apparentely not I might even have a hard time finding a gunsmith to work on it if needn be.
Kurt Sauers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,172 Times in 629 Posts

Kurt, I'll add to the the good advice you already received. I would call or stop into dealers/gun stores relatively close to you(I wouldn't be afraid to drive a little for a good one though). I would explain that you are buying a high end gun and ask if they could they handle the transfer. Most charge a fee of around $35 or so.

Alan had mentioned someone you trust, which is critical. Since you don't know anyone(yet), I might try to find a gun store/dealer that sells higher end guns(anyone who sells Browning/Beretta O/U's would probably work). Also insist on insurance with the purchase. For my first Parker online purchase...now I can't prove this, but I think(almost know 99.9%) who ever opened the box at the FFL dealer I picked dropped the barrels(denting the outside off the breach). Even though I asked and even sent money for insurance the seller didn't insure the gun. So 2 things here, my FFL pick wasn't the best and I should have asked for proof of insurance.

In your case try to feel out a few dealers. For me it would be worth buying a few other things from the store...shells, a case, even a higher transfer fee. I would definitely tell them what you are getting and the approximate dollar amount and then ask them if they are comfortable with it. It really is a simple process, but given the dollar amounts involved and the uniqueness of Parkers it can be stressful. Once you find that FFL you trust(which I have now) you won't even worry about it.

If you had to send your gun off to get worked on that can be done as well. Don't let the lack of good sxs gunsmiths/shops in your area stop you from getting this gun.

Good luck!
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: