Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

possible to make a set of barrels
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default possible to make a set of barrels

is it possible to have a set of barrels made using already available barrels from say a single shot or similar ? No one from what ive read sleeves 10 gauge barrels so im just wondering ive found 10 gauge barrels from a savage 94 pretty cheap and quite a few in stock. Not that im needing new barrels currently but thinking of buying some to keep for down the road .there pretty cheap as well .
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Snap Cap
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Milton, if you are asking about making an acceptable quality copy of a Parker set of barrels from single shot barrels, the cost would be prohibitive. You could buy a set of original Parker barrels or a whole gun cheaper than what you would have to pay someone with the skill level that would be required.
Fred Verry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Verry For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

We've already been down this road once before. Few years back a fellow showed up at the Spring Southern claiming he and his company could manufacture new barrels using CNC technology. Because he did this without the necessary handfitting in an effort to keep costs down, the end result was poor at best, although it could have provided a basis for servicable new barrels had someone had the patience and skill to make it work. Some lost money on the deal because orders were not fulfilled. I lost a little bit others lost more, but we all learned something from the experience, and that is these old guns are special because they were machine made with considerable handfitting, and that is why they are no longer made.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well I know a smith who builds hand made sxs rifles and shotguns. He usually likes to make reproduction jones underlevers but he is back logged 2 years .
But I figure already having the barrel tubes would drive the cost down. My barrels are suppose to be in pretty good shape but I would like to have a back up plan if they ever needed work or replacing .
a lot of sxs 10 gauge ive seen are 8-9lb . my bonehill is 10lbs 2 oz so maybe it has thick barrels .
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,132 Times in 3,250 Posts

there was a guy from WV - Ed Rayle - in the muzzleloading world that made double barrels, breached for flintlocks.

Chris Gilgun (one of the original Vintagers) made some guns on them, not inexpensive but great looking

he used available barrel tube for his efforts, not sure about the extra parts for breach loaders though
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
there was a guy from WV - Ed Rayle - in the muzzleloading world that made double barrels, breached for flintlocks.

Chris Gilgun (one of the original Vintagers) made some guns on them, not inexpensive but great looking

he used available barrel tube for his efforts, not sure about the extra parts for breach loaders though
Ed Rayle made a couple brass barrels for unique flintlock pistols made by the gunsmith in Williamsburg. Is he still around?
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,132 Times in 3,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Blake View Post
Ed Rayle made a couple brass barrels for unique flintlock pistols made by the gunsmith in Williamsburg. Is he still around?
I have not seen any notice of his passing, but can't say for sure

some of the current muzzle loader parts dealers still list him as a barrel maker

http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters....rifle-barrels/

and i have seen discussions of orders from him on the longrifle board in the past few months