Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

VHE kills another Pintail
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default VHE kills another Pintail

I have a restocked VHE with 26" IM/F barrels and I love it for duck hunting. I know long barrels are the mode right now, especially for waterfowl, but I like the short barrels because our blind has smallish openings and a low roof. The fact that its been restocked makes me worry less about the wear and tear that duck hunting has on guns. I have duck hunted with dozens of different guns and this 236XXX vintage Parker is far and away my favorite. This picture from this morning was taken with my son's cell phone so the quality isn't good but it show's the gun with a Pintail on another sunny Oregon Saturday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1226091038.jpg (42.2 KB, 329 views)
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Trigg Davis
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dave,

It looks like a drop dead georgeous day. A mgreat day here for Alaska 33 degrees which is warm for this season; I just took advantage of it to do a little Nordic Skiing.

Out of curiosity how many points of restriciton in this 26 inch duckslayer; in other words how is it choked.

I have a 26 9nch GHE with beautiful wood choked something like .10 and .25 as I recall. I never considered it as a possible waterfowl gun.

Trigg
Trigg Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

I call it a waterfowl gun because its easy to poke out the front of my blind and it kills ducks dead, dead, dead.
Unread 12-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Don't believe all you hear about short barrels Dave. Long barreled guns are just the flavor of the month. I killed a rooster in Utah in 2007 at 70yds with the cyl bbl on my 26" VH12 using a very light target load. You do your part and they work just fine.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Good work, nothing like a big bull sprig in the bag to make the day special. Been quite awhile since I killed one, last time I was on the Oregon Coast as a matter of fact.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

We have a lot of pintails out here and we are so glad they finally upped the limit to two. In fact, I'm still in my camo from an afternoon duck hunt as I type this.
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Yeah my buddy Dave was really excited when they upped the limit this year. Late in the season it gets to the point where that's all they see in the area he hunts.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote