Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 11-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Bob, I would test your 5400 loads after a night in the freezer to make sure they work in cold weather. That is pretty low pressure. If you get any off sound loads from the freezer, you may consider going to a slightly faster powder to get the pressures up just a little. On the other hand, the 5400 loads may be all you would want to shoot in the under eight pound gun. How thick are the barrel walls in your light gun?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Computer problems and work prevented me from posting earlier. Trigg Davis and I used the loads I did up when he and Richard Flanders came down to Debolt the last week of September. In hindsight I should have used a 16 ga card in the wad to fill it a little more. The shells were hard to fit in the chambers and extract. Live and learn. They worked fine on the geese and ducks we shot, especially for Trigg who was using my light 10. He was hitting almost everything he shot at. Unfortunately, I had to retire my 3 frame 10 after I put some cracks in the stock head the first morning. Three days after I returned home the temperature dropped and all the waterfowl vanished. Living on the northern edge of cultivated land the waterfowl season is best described as sudden and short. Bill, the MWT on my light 10 are 32 and 33 thou. Here's a few pictures of the old girl. After seeing the beautiful refinished barrels on Rich's Parker I'm thinking of sending these out to have them redone.

30" barrels, 2 7/8" chambers, and mirror bores. She's marked J.L. Rawbone, Toronto, Canada, but obviously started out at Westley Richards. A great handling British gun, lighter than several of my 2 frame 12s. Richard, thanks for the offer to buy some of those BBs you bought, and thanks again for leaving me some of your hand loads and shell boxes. I used them to adjust my Mec so any I load now shouldn't give the same chambering problems. It will be a while before I need any more non tox, we'll talk about it in the new year. I've also have that 1880, 10 ga, grade 2 lifter I mentioned on the way to me now, not sure of the chamber length. Hopefully it will make it into the blinds with us next year.

Last edited by Bob Brown; 11-28-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Bob, an early gun like the Grade 2 you describe may have square edge chambers. In that case, you should trim your shells to the exact length of the chambers so the wads make a smooth transition to the bores.
Unread 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the advice, Bill. I'll check the chambers when it arrives. It should get here in a couple of days, so I might be posting for more info on it. I've never actually seen a lifter before so it will be interesting.
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yeah, post pictures of the Grade 2 when it gets to you. Is your ten with the cracks in the stock head a hammerless or a hammer gun? I am in need of a set of three frame hammerless barrels and would buy a cheap gun to get them.
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #16
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,452 Times in 803 Posts

hi bob, i to shoot a 10 eh on a 2 frame 8 3/4 lbs. my goose load is 35 grs 4756 , sp 10 wad, 1 3/8 th oz bismuth BB and roll crimp(love the roll crimp you can mark the top card with shot size and pay load) i have killed geese out to 60 yds and i let pete lester use it to shoot at a passing flock and he droped a banded one on turkey day. love the 10 scott
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the reply, Scott. The roll crimp sounds like a good idea, lower pressure too. The 3 frame is a hammer gun, Bill, but it is a long way from done. I'll fix the cracks and she'll still be getting birds long after I'm gone. I actually expected it to be in the latest Parkers Found listing. Do they only update the list in PP in the spring?