Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Questions on first Parker purchase
Unread 04-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Lee Sherfield
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Questions on first Parker purchase

I am currently looking for a Parker to use in the field, however I am now torn about buying a second possibly as a investment and shooter.

The first is a 12 gauge Trojan mod\full , wood is not perfect but very useable. Bores mirror shiny, lock up tight, 1 tiny dent 5" from end of one barrel. $1200

The second is a16 gauge Parker Trojan mod\full ,wood is very nice, bores perfect, lock up tight. Comes with 3 original hang tags. My concern is it has sling swivels. They are 3\4" and owner says they are original. And also that gun was meant to be sold overseas . $2500

The owner is considerably older than me and been a gun collector all his life, he is well respected in the area. The 16 was in his personal do not sell rack but ,I have a chance at getting it. The 12 he runs around the yard and uses it to defend his home of red squirrels.

I went to look at and possibly buy the 12, believing the 16 was NOT for sale. Now I want both. Do you think the 16 with the sling swivels is legit ? Or just buy both for using like they were meant to be and smile . I have always wanted a 16 and I do believe that they are both in original condition finish wise. The Mrs. Says go for it but I have a hard time spending money on myself.
Lee Sherfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

Welcome Lee, pictures would be helpful and serial numbers to check originality of their dimensions. That said, the pricing for these two parkers are high considering your description and their grade. Learn as much as you can about Parkers prior to investing your money and ask all the pertinent questions here. Join the PGCA as it will be the best $40.00 you will spend and then your research letters will be $40.00 each. And you will have access to all things for sale here.
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Lee, slow down a little and look a guns like on Guns International or Gun Broker, not to buy but to learn the market and see different models and condition. Stick around here and you will learn a lot and as Jim said join the PGCA. Also if you can wait until Father's Day weekend, myself and Rich Anderson are going to be up for the Medford shoot and be more then willing to talk to you about Parkers and let you shoot some of ours so you can get a feel for them and understand condition and what is original and what is redone, all that effects value. And yes those two guns are priced on the high side and I doubt you would ever get you money back out of them if you sold them. Just my 2 cents but please pm me before the shoot and we can get together and have a show and tell.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Lee, If possible please take/post pictures of the sling swivels. We can tell you if they are original.
Unread 04-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #5
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Lee,

Join this association, and buy from, or at least run prospects by the guys on this forum. There are often guns like you are looking for posted here, and because of the very collegial, and studied scrutiny by Parker experts of every offering, you can seldom find an “overdescribed” gun. Most of us practice , “got a better one,sell the next best one”, and in this atmosphere, next best is often exceptional!

Good Luck.....and start saving for gun therapy!
Unread 04-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Lee I'm in agreement with the others that the prices seem high for a Trojan grade. As mentioned look on sites such as Guns International and Gunbroker, look at well known dealers such as Steve Barnett, Stephen Cobb, Mark Beasland etc just to name a few.
The swivels may be original (I have a DHE 20 with them that are original) but pictures will help. The more you learn before spending money will result in money better spent.
Unread 04-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
Lee Sherfield
Forum Associate

Member Info

You said join the PGCA , so I did.
Now I can look at the guns for sale section !
You gents are real funny, I could end up with a entire collection before the first of May!
Lee Sherfield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lee Sherfield For Your Post:
Unread 04-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #8
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,318 Posts

You can’t go wrong joining the PGCA. Welcome and congratulations!
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 04-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Welcome Lee!
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote