Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 01-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #41
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Mark your 28ga hammer gun looks a lot like my W.R. Pape 28 hammer gun. Eric Eis, Mike Smith and myself just returned from a Quail hunt in Georgia where we spent a morning with just hammer guns. Mike and I had 28's while Eric's gun was a 20. A report on our excellent adventure will appear seperately
That sounds like fun! I have never shot quail in the “deep south”, although i live significantly south of there even!! My first english gun was a Pape boxlock 12, the quality was outstanding!! Was hammerless though. That gun sadly is long gone, but I remember it fondly because it was my second Vizsla’s first wild quail hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 443AD630-2DB8-4420-8853-9A7BF2C48A03.jpg (554.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg CDA4385B-EAF0-417B-89A3-78CC1EEB2D55.jpg (525.2 KB, 0 views)
Unread 01-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #42
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
That sounds like fun! I have never shot quail in the “deep south”, although i live significantly south of there even!! My first english gun was a Pape boxlock 12, the quality was outstanding!! Was hammerless though. That gun sadly is long gone, but I remember it fondly because it was my second Vizsla’s first wild quail hunt.
Geez i was fat then!!!!
Unread 04-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #43
Paul Mazan
Forum Associate

Member Info

I don't know if this pertains to hunting but I've shot a hammer double in Cowboy action for several years.The gun starts off cocked so the first shots are no problem but reloading on the clock takes some practice if you want to do it quickly. I'm a lefty so you will have to revers my procedure if you are not so blessed/ After the second shot I drop the gun from my shoulder push the top lever to the right and as soon as the barrels open , still holding the gun in both hands, I flick the gun back and then forward (Keeping the barrels pointed downrange at all times. That ejects the shells I then retrieve two shells from ny belt loops and at the same tine reach forward with my thumb and coack rge far (in my case the right hammer) Thew barrels should now be pointing forward and down. Drop the two new shells into the chambers move your hand to the forend closing the gun as it comes up to the shoulder, At the same time the dun is closing and being presented the hand on the grip cocks the near hammer and as soon as the butt touches the shoulder you should be ready to fire. It sounds more complicated than it is and with practice you can do it all by feel while you are looking at the next target. Of course the targets are normally steel and not moving so your shooting your shotgun more like a rifle than a shotgun but in the field I've been asked several times how the heck I got that old double cocked and reloaded so fast.
Paul Mazan is offline   Reply With Quote