Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

8 Gauge Reloading Made Easy
Unread 02-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Default 8 Gauge Reloading Made Easy

There seems to be a little more interest in shooting 8 gauge shotguns with every year. I started a few years ago with a Parker DH 8 which Brad Bachelder returned to as new condition. With 36” barrels and weighing 14 and half pounds, this old Parker really handles heavy loads.

My favorite target load is an ounce and three quarters of number 7.5 shot. This is listed in Tom Armbrust’s book, “4 AND 8 GAUGE SHOTGUNS AND LOADS”. If you want to shoot 8 gauges you owe it to Tom to buy his book! In it you will find almost all the information one needs.

Modern 8 gauge hulls have an industrial band to keep guys like us from shooting a factory high pressure load for kiln guns in one of our old fowling pieces. If you want to know what a kiln gun is then apply modern magic via a Google search. The industrial bands must be swaged so that the hull will fit into English and American chambers. Guess what’s next? Right, American chambers, at least those found in Parkers, are tighter that English chambers.

How to swage the band? Some people use a reamed out nut. I suppose this works but would make for a long day to load swage hundreds of hulls. I you want to bag a turkey with the old 8 gauge then save some money and make your own loading tools. If however one is taking an 8 gauge to a SxS rendezvous then they will need a few hundred rounds! Me, I figure if one is buying a $7,000 to $15,000 Parker 8 gauge one should plan for good support equipment to swage and load efficiently.

I found two products for the swaging. Both require the use of a metallic cartridge press such as the RCBS Rock Chucker I received for Christmas when I was 15 years old. That was a while ago…

C-H makes a set of swaging dies. Their 2-dies set will swage hulls to the English chamber size. A third die is needed to reduce the band a few more thousands to Parker size. An alternate is the 2-die swaging set and removal press. This works faster than the C-H dies which require the use of a dowel rod an a dead drop hammer.

Reloading is quick and easy thanks to a converted old style solid base MEC 600 JR.

The contact information for the press swage and converted MEC 600 are found in Armbrust’s book. Hint, hint,… If you promise to buy his book but want to order early then send me a PM and I’ll give the info. No, I do not know Tom Armbrust. I do however think that we owe a lot to guys like him who blazed the trail into the past.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 GA Armbrust (721x1280).jpg (335.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 8 Ga Comparison (1280x930).jpg (255.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 8 GA C-H Swage Dies (1280x1006).jpg (382.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 8 Ga Swage-2.jpg (527.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 100 8 Ga Hulls.jpg (510.9 KB, 18 views)

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 02-28-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Here is the converted MEC 600 JR. Notice the older version, solid base stanchions. The newer models won't hold up!

The final photo shows left overs from an 800 round batch loaded in a weekend. Good tools, a little experience, and attention to detail make for a job well done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 GA MEC 600 Jr-2 (721x1280).jpg (262.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 8 GA MEC 600 Jr-3 (721x1280).jpg (300.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 8 GA MEC 600 Jr-1 (721x1280).jpg (244.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 8 GA Shells (1280x721).jpg (341.2 KB, 23 views)

USMC Retired
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

The DH 8 flanked by normal sized Parkers.

A PGCA member trying out the 8 for size!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0025.jpg (530.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0034.jpg (517.1 KB, 14 views)

USMC Retired
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

PS: I buy components from Precision Reloading

One can buy one fired hulls that were shot in a kiln gun. I do not know chamber specifications for an industrial kiln gun. I would not be surprised that if someone is having problems with wad fit in a once fired hull, that the subject hull(s) was shot in a kiln gun. Those shells are loaded at higher pressure than those made for our old 8 gauge shotguns. Maybe the plastic is compressed by the extra pressure, and oversized by firing in a larger (by a few thousands of an inch) chamber.

USMC Retired
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
A PGCA member trying out the 8 for size!
Stub Twist should own an 8 gauge!!
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Tom Armbrust is quite happy to share information. I have called him with questions and he always has time to answer, and then some. His book is on my list, also.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #7
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Here's a link to Tom Armbrust's book listed above:

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/tom-a...-15713269.html

Their price is $43 in print but $5.99 in ebook version.

USMC Retired
Unread 02-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

First day with my new to meet and restored DH 8 in my hands. Brad, Jeff Kuss, and I were at a tower pheasant shoot north of Grand Rapids, Michigan. After a half dozen or so birds had been released, a pheasant finally flew toward my peg. Now, at these shoot were some of those gas gun shooters. You know the type like we all were in younger days. A guy has to shoot quick or the slam-o-matics will shoot and shoot and shoot hoping to "kill" something.

So, I swung the DH weighing over 15 pounds when loaded with a pair of 2 & 3/4 oz shells with #4 nickle plated shot. The old rooster flew directly overhead and as soon as my bead covered the bird as I swung through I slapped the trigger. Whoom! I thought what the heck am I doing with a cannon shooting pheasants! Then I realized that the recoil was more than a 15 pound gun should have produced. I open the action to discover that the ol' gal had doubled. Yup, 5 and a half ounces of shot at over 1100 fps pushing seemingly as fast against me!

"Hey Brad, what the heck is going on?" A quick pow-wow with my gunsmith revealed the probable cause. Most shotguns will never be fired straight up. Think about it... The extra weight of the #6 frame hammers being suspended in space by inertia caused the second barrel's hammer to disengage momentarily from the sear. In theory all doubles' hammers do this which is why the rear trigger is often a quarter pound heavier than the front. My "Paris Gun" was going home with Brad after the day's shoot to make her Marine Proof!

What about the pheasant that I hit with 5 and a half ounces of shot? What pheasant?

An 8 gauge is a lot of fun!

USMC Retired
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 02-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

big ten that is some nice equipment you have theresure beats my old ten ga hand loader this is what i use...for resizeing the hulls i use one that wayne gorez gave me thesketches and measurements to build.you can press down and on the next stroke push it out...yes the once fired hulls do give problems especially the black hullell remingtons..when they are shot in kiln guns for some reason the last 1 inch of the shell is burned and the case mouth shrinks makeing it almost impossible to load with a plastic wad or a paper wad..but by slitting the mouth about 1/4 inch down across the hull mouth you can load it...i buy new hulls at times when i can get them but lots of times i m lucky to just get once fired hulls... i toohave bought from precision but my old computer is so old it want bring them up...balistic reloading has wads both plastic and paper but no hulls have they had in a long time.. wishmy old fa loomis looked as good as yours it has 36 inch barrels 4 inch chambers and also weighs 15 lbs loaded... thanks for showing us this nice loaders and equipment...your loads look like factory to me...i too recommend tom arbrusts book ihave about wore mine out looking at it..have killed deer with the 8 ga parker lifter gun a doe with a load tom arbrust loaded me up with buckshot and with the pumpkin ball load i made myself...tell you what a nice fellow tom armbrust is i asked for about 4 boxes of shells well he sent them to me and lots of info on the 8 ga. i had not sent him any money yet yet he sent the shells real quick....i paid him after the shells were sent....he also said i was the first person to ever ask him to load up buckshot in the 8 ga...thanks for everything charlie...
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 02-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

What does CH4D charge for the 3 die set ?

Also whats the bill for a converted 600JR if you don't mind saying ?

I wonder if they could convert a MEC 650 to 8 gauge ?
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote