Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Short 10 Hull Conditioning
Unread 04-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Short 10 Hull Conditioning

On another thread mentioned I was not satisfied with the commercial hull conditioning tools for Short 10's To re-shape a plastic hull Heat and proper form is what you want. Tapered aluminum one size fits all did not do a good job for me. Too open at the mouth while not re-shaping the rest of the hull. And most of the tools are too long and hit the primer pocket on short 10's before they do any conditioning.

This is a prototype that's working good for me. Hard Maple chucked up in the wood lathe turned down to a nice fit inside the hull. Taper is enough to get in the fired rolled hull without being so long it contacts the base of the shell. Using it creates a lot more friction than Aluminum tools and works faster. Before and after photos tell the story. These RST's were cut down from fold crimps and have been fired 4 times with no sign of giving up soon.

Few problems, Chucked up in the wood lathe you can run as many as you want one time. Go back later and re-chuck it has some run-out. Not a problem for me I just cut the wood back enough to get round again then go at it. Plan to make some up with Metal center shaft see if they will work in a drill press and maintain center with no run out. No doubt the maple will wear but you can dress it up with some sandpaper if it does.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 04-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Very good idea - thanks.
Unread 04-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Using it for a while found you can get the hull so hot it "curls" in when you pull the plug out.

Cut the lathe/drill press off leave the wood insert in place a few seconds while the plastic cools hull takes the exact shape of the wood plug. Nice and round.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote