Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #21
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Seeing this thread made me dig out my 8 gauge base sizer that I made years ago to iron down the reinforced head of industrial cases. It is made from mild steel about 1" thick and 2 1/2" in diameter. I turned the OD steps so it would sit in the bottom frame of my arbor press and stay in place. The hole is tapered and the edge was rounded so I could, after putting case sizing lube on it, press a case in the #1 side and then turn the die over and press the case in the second side to finish it. I use a 2 ton arbor press to push the case in and a dowel to press it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 gauge sizer 001.jpg (442.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8 gauge sizer 003.jpg (466.5 KB, 2 views)
Dennis E. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis E. Jones For Your Post:
Unread 03-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #22
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis E. Jones View Post
Seeing this thread made me dig out my 8 gauge base sizer that I made years ago to iron down the reinforced head of industrial cases. It is made from mild steel about 1" thick and 2 1/2" in diameter. I turned the OD steps so it would sit in the bottom frame of my arbor press and stay in place. The hole is tapered and the edge was rounded so I could, after putting case sizing lube on it, press a case in the #1 side and then turn the die over and press the case in the second side to finish it. I use a 2 ton arbor press to push the case in and a dowel to press it out.
I'd very much like to have a copy of the book your die is sitting on !
Unread 03-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #23
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

nice looking die you made..and that book would really be a good read... yes i use lube on some hulls but this resizer workers just as well it seems dry...i really like reloading and shooting the old 8 ga..i use a lee hand held 10 ga reloader to deprime and prime the hulls and to push the wads down the hull then use a roll crimper in a drill to close up the load...but i would like to have a 6 point crimper for the 8 ga anybody got any idea s...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #24
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
I'd very much like to have a copy of the book your die is sitting on !
Mr. Thompson,

I bought the book in 2007 from a book seller that had it listed in the "Double Gun Journal". Don't remember who that was. It is was printed by "Big Bore Press" and 1 of 100 that was printed as a revised/updated version of some earlier work. I don't know if it is available but, you might try try the author John Shanafelt phone number (408) 241-8849 most evenings. Don't know if the information is current. Mr. Shanafelt states in the book he would be pleased to help.

Regards,

Dennis Jones
Unread 03-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #25
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
nice looking die you made..and that book would really be a good read... yes i use lube on some hulls but this resizer workers just as well it seems dry...i really like reloading and shooting the old 8 ga..i use a lee hand held 10 ga reloader to deprime and prime the hulls and to push the wads down the hull then use a roll crimper in a drill to close up the load...but i would like to have a 6 point crimper for the 8 ga anybody got any idea s...charlie
Charlie,

Since I shoot so few I too load the eight bore by hand. I just glue in the overshot wad. I put load information on the wad so I know what I'm shooting. I don't think it would be difficult but certainly time consuming to make a crimp starter and crimp die for the eight bore, that is if one had a press to use them in.

Regards,

Dennis Jones
Unread 03-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #26
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis E. Jones View Post
Mr. Thompson,

I bought the book in 2007 from a book seller that had it listed in the "Double Gun Journal". Don't remember who that was. It is was printed by "Big Bore Press" and 1 of 100 that was printed as a revised/updated version of some earlier work. I don't know if it is available but, you might try try the author John Shanafelt phone number (408) 241-8849 most evenings. Don't know if the information is current. Mr. Shanafelt states in the book he would be pleased to help.

Regards,

Dennis Jones
Thank you sir !
I'll give him a call .
Unread 03-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #27
Mark Garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

I just bought one of the 10ga manuals , google it there was another one for sale some where
Mark Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote