Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

NC Ducks and Sea Trout
Unread 01-05-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default NC Ducks and Sea Trout

Here's a pic of our harvest from my holiday trip to the Carolina coast with some friends. That's my LC Smith 12 bore. Not one of the well made pictures we see on our beautiful cover photos, but we were cold, tired, very wet, and still had a lot of work to do getting our game cleaned. Boy was that duck and trout delicious!

Unread 01-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,941 Times in 4,789 Posts

Great picture, Dean. What town were you working out of? Always hunt within shouting distance of a picker.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,215 Times in 3,270 Posts

productive trip, any pics of the hunt set up?
Unread 01-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

We were in New Bern that day hunting with Down East Guide Service. George Beckwith (owner) took great care of us. We enjoyed grilled oysters and ribeye sandwiches while hunting out of one of the better blinds on the river. One of Georges guides would take a couple of us out fishing while the others hunted. It was my first duck hunt and I am now completely hooked. Oddly you have to take any ducks with you that you've killed when you go fishing, even if you're coming back to the blind. You must also know which specific duck(s) belong to you if encounter a game warden. I found that odd and don't know if that's a federal thing or a local requirement.

I can't say enough about the guys with Down East, they have been my go to for years now.
I've hunted Albies on the fly with George off the shackleford banks before in a gale with high seas and had the time of my life. They do a fantastic job and take great care of their clients. Last fall we took part in a new class in which George teaches you how and what to fish with for different coastal species like reds, stripers, etc. We were given two very nice rods and tackle to keep, for different species/types of fishing, had great accommodation with excellent food, and spent several days fishing and learning. It was fantastic, and well worth the money. We are planning a trip to Belize in the future. George told me that they are taking trips to Argentina now for fishing and birding. I can't afford that one yet but am saving my pennies. I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but I can't say enough about the work these guys put into making clients have a good time and enjoy themselves. Here's the link to their website... If you're planning a trip, I give them two thumbs up. Their Facebook page showcases a lot of their trips and services better than the website.
http://www.pamlicoguide.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DownEastGuideServiceInc
Unread 01-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Unfortunately, this was the only picture I took. It was very wet and taking out anything electronic during the hunt never even crossed my mind. I really wish I had though as the blind was set up nicely and the spread was incredible. Not sure but there must have been 200 plus decoys on the water at first light. the movement of the birds was limited that day but they couldn't resist the spread, and we did our part too. I was very proud of that old LC Smith. It was very hard watching rain pour onto and into a nearly 100 year old gun. Just glad I had the good sense to leave my Parkers at home.
Unread 01-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,215 Times in 3,270 Posts

since the time many years ago- after having a Nikon SLR destroyed when caught in a blizzard on a duck hunt - I have had a waterproof camera to take hunting - the most recent is a Pentex Optio

the pictures may not be quite the quality of the new Nikon DSLR - but they are pretty good, and I am not worried about taking it and end getting some pictures where I would not other wise

in fact most of the pictures i have posted here have been taken with that one
Unread 01-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,387 Times in 12,417 Posts

When you say "I've hunted Albies on the fly -" you absolutely used the correct verb.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I spent 7 months doing gold and base metals exploration in Belize in the late 70's. Interesting place back then. Good caving and diving. Haven't ever been back.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
When you say "I've hunted Albies on the fly -" you absolutely used the correct verb.
On our fist Albie "Hunt" I was with the same group of friends that I went duck hunting with on this most recent trip. During a particularly hard strike one of the guys reel exploded! I watched him reel in a rather large Albie with his bloody hands by putting his finger tips into what was left of the reel vent holes and twisting till he brought the fish to hand. There was no doubt who "the Man" was on the way home from that trip. George told us that was the worst sea he'd been out in in all his years of guiding (it was my first time at sea or in a boat for that matter). If you fell down there was little chance of getting back on your feet. Despite the hellish conditions, none of us would trade that day for anything.
Unread 01-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
I spent 7 months doing gold and base metals exploration in Belize in the late 70's. Interesting place back then. Good caving and diving. Haven't ever been back.
Richard,

We went to Placencia, Belize two years ago with the wives on a family/sporting trip. Not the spot for those looking for a traditional vacation with all the trimmings; Placencia is a wonderful bridge between the old Belize and modern convenience. The people are warm and friendly and the fishing is top notch. There are a wealth of local guides who have been fishing the area waters their entire lives. I caught my first bonefish on the fly on this trip and can say without a doubt that if the good lord lets me, I'll be back to chase those bones again some day (soon I hope).