Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #21
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
That vent rib doesnt look this one which im assuming is a actual Parker bros vent rib . The fit on this one is alot nicer and about 7k less .
Yes, that is a factory rib that you posted a picture of. BUT... it is a gun that had a VR from inception. Not a converted VR.

Factory original VR guns have a high flat topped frame. Vs. standard ribbed guns have a concave frame at the rib extension. This is immediate indication as to if a gun had a VR from the day it was ordered and build.

Now... guns could have been converted to VR at the factory on a return for work. In this case, a VR is installed in the normal manner, but the flat ramp has to be blended into the concave rib extension. It always results in a little bit of a funky transition, but factory done work, either by Meriden or Remington is pretty well done and clean.

Major ways of verifying that the VR conversion as factory done is the construction of the rib, the matting the makers mark which will be hand engraved only in the proper style.

The subject gun that started they thread WAS converted to VR at some time and it is NOT a factory work using factory parts. It also was a SST to DT conversion and I also question the originality of the buttstock. The checkering at least is not original. But the grip and comb are off looking to me.
Unread 08-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #22
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

Attached are examples of what Brian is speaking of. Note the high flat top on the first 2 guns, both B grades with factory VR's. The 3rd picture is that of what is believed to be a factory conversion of a SR to a VR. Note the concave area and how the dolls head has been sculpted out to blend it in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BHE 32.jpg (199.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg BHE 34.JPG (195.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg A1S Engraving (18).JPG (333.0 KB, 5 views)
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #23
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
That vent rib doesnt look this one which im assuming is a actual Parker bros vent rib . The fit on this one is alot nicer and about 7k less .
I agree but a 34" gun is much rarer than a 32" 12 gauge. I think both those guns are overpriced but you aren't going to see many 34" grade 3 Parkers on the market.
Unread 08-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #24
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
Attached are examples of what Brian is speaking of. Note the high flat top on the first 2 guns, both B grades with factory VR's. The 3rd picture is that of what is believed to be a factory conversion of a SR to a VR. Note the concave area and how the dolls head has been sculpted out to blend it in.
Nice Parkers Randy!
Unread 08-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #25
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
I agree but a 34" gun is much rarer than a 32" 12 gauge. I think both those guns are overpriced but you aren't going to see many 34" grade 3 Parkers on the market.
That is true , 34" barrels do seem to be rare . I have seen a few 32" Parker 12 ga hammerless guns .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #26
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
That is a beautiful sxs !
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 08-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #27
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

Odd to me that in terms of 12 gauge production the VH with Vulcan steel tubes outnumbers the DH Titanic's by some 8 - 1 roughly yet there are substantially more 34" DH guns recorded, nearly 22% more than the VH ??
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #28
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I know where there is a 34 DHE restored by Batchelder's thats a nice gun with a straight grip F/F for less than half the cost of this gun. I have several factory vent rib guns and they don't look like this. I have had 30 inch guns and a 32 incher choked IC/F from the factory. Long barrels should equal tight chokes.
Unread 08-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #29
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Too bad the chokes are open. Otherwise, that would make a sweeeet clays gun. Since nothing is original, put Brileys in it and have a Parker target crushing machine!
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #30
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

Turnbulls may have done the casecolors on that Parker. The vent rib and buttstock have been covered. The lack of mullered borders, the early style receiver with a vent rib, floor plate doen't fit the wood correctly under the trigger guard, floor plate screws are not qualified or flush, forend wood has been replaced with what appears black walnut, color of wood on the buttstock doesn't match forend, finishes front to rear on the wood don't match. Preservation was no factor in restoring this gun but profit was.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote