Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #31
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stegmeier View Post
Wow! I asked if anyone had any thoughts about the 10 ga. 2 7/8 loads and now there are 3 pages of comments. You guys really know your stuff. I shot my 10 ga. with some RST 1 1/8 loads and successfully broke the first 4 clays on the skeet range. Unfortunately, at that point the extractors failed and I had to bring it to a gunsmith for a minor repair. When I got it back, I took it to a nearby pheasant farm loaded with RST 1 1/4 oz loads. I'm very happy to say that I killed 3 out of 6 my first time out with that gun. I'm not accustomed to hunting with such heavy barrels, so I was probably a little slow on the "swing" a few times, but when you hit them with a 10 ga., they go down.
I especially like shooting the old 10 doubles that are choked tight at trap doubles from perhaps the 22 yard line , skeet doubles from behind stations 3 , 4 and 5 , and last but not least Jap Trap . The really tight guns can be a hinderance at Jap Trap on stations 1 and 7 sometimes but one learns to compensate .
Unread 03-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #32
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I never heard of Jap trap. Sounds like " Scrap " where you shoot trap from the skeet stations. But then you East Coast guys have your own lingo. Craig, glad you did so well with your 10. Guys today don't realize you can shoot them with shorter shells and less payload. I use 1oz for clay birds and it breaks anything just great. I know the shot column is very short so the shot string should also be short. One of mine is chokes Mod/Mod and it's more than enough.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 03-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #33
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stegmeier View Post
Wow! I asked if anyone had any thoughts about the 10 ga. 2 7/8 loads and now there are 3 pages of comments. You guys really know your stuff. I shot my 10 ga. with some RST 1 1/8 loads and successfully broke the first 4 clays on the skeet range. Unfortunately, at that point the extractors failed and I had to bring it to a gunsmith for a minor repair. When I got it back, I took it to a nearby pheasant farm loaded with RST 1 1/4 oz loads. I'm very happy to say that I killed 3 out of 6 my first time out with that gun. I'm not accustomed to hunting with such heavy barrels, so I was probably a little slow on the "swing" a few times, but when you hit them with a 10 ga., they go down.
Jeff,
Congratulations on your new gun, I can't wait to hunt with the gun I got from you. The guys in this forum have been so helpful to me too in here. Congratulations again, hope we can get together for a hunt sometime.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #34
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
I never heard of Jap trap. Sounds like " Scrap " where you shoot trap from the skeet stations. But then you East Coast guys have your own lingo. Craig, glad you did so well with your 10. Guys today don't realize you can shoot them with shorter shells and less payload. I use 1oz for clay birds and it breaks anything just great. I know the shot column is very short so the shot string should also be short. One of mine is chokes Mod/Mod and it's more than enough.
We actually have Jap Wobble Trap and I gotta admit I love it ! When you’re on station 3 4 or 5 and that thing throws a flat straight away it gets your attention PDQ . Best I ever did at wobble Jap with a 10 was 21 or 21/25 best I ever did with my VH 12 2 frame that tight and tighter yet was 23/25 . But I do have home field advantage . Jap Scrap it’s all good
Unread 03-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #35
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

So now if you'd explain exactly how it's shot and from where with what kind of machine. We have a trap/skeet field combination like a lot of clubs. The machine can throw wobble with the turn of a switch. I'm always looking for something different to shoot and this sounds pretty good to try. I've also heard mention of using all three machines for a game, but I'm not sure how that one goes.
Unread 03-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #36
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
So now if you'd explain exactly how it's shot and from where with what kind of machine. We have a trap/skeet field combination like a lot of clubs. The machine can throw wobble with the turn of a switch. I'm always looking for something different to shoot and this sounds pretty good to try. I've also heard mention of using all three machines for a game, but I'm not sure how that one goes.
To be honest I don’t know the brand of our trap or skeet machines now. Seems to me they’re Star something , I do think I heard the guy that kinda takes care of them that new ones can no longer be purchased . The wobble machine was purchased as a regular ATA trap machine and the guys from Shyda’s later added a motor for wobble and as you said all you need to do is flip a switch to go from regular to wobble . But as you assume it’s shot from the skeet stations . Initially we played where you shot until you hit starting at station 1 . Later I told the folks that don’t shoot much to shoot three times and move to the next station that way they stayed in the game longer and sped up the movement . I hate waiting ten minutes before I shoot again in this game . When I do it we shoot the skeet stations with the trap wobble only I don’t include the skeet traps . We have three dual fields on field three our trap machine stays set up for trap doubles , that might be intresting as Jap trap
Unread 03-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #37
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm sorry the way I ask the question. I didn't care what the manufacture of the machine was - only if it was in fact a wobble machine. I've heard of not moving until you hit a bird, but your way seems a bit more practical. It would be a problem waiting real long to shoot again. We have the same set up on one field and I thinki the guys would like a league doing as you suggested. Maybe just let them shoot around the field and keep score of hits and misses.
Unread 03-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #38
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
I'm sorry the way I ask the question. I didn't care what the manufacture of the machine was - only if it was in fact a wobble machine. I've heard of not moving until you hit a bird, but your way seems a bit more practical. It would be a problem waiting real long to shoot again. We have the same set up on one field and I thinki the guys would like a league doing as you suggested. Maybe just let them shoot around the field and keep score of hits and misses.
Well to be honest when we do it if I’m involved I shoot until I break the bird , but I have those that haven’t shot a lot to do three and move . I’ve got a friend at our club that belongs to another club as well over in the valley and when they do it they require two hits before moving not sure if they limit the shots st each station . The new traps or shall we say anything since Western Flyer traps were king are considered new by me . I loved the old Western traps be it skeet or of the Trap variety . I understand the change but I still like the old traps more . First time I ever shot somewhere that wasn’t using Western traps was at the Old Bingham and Parks club outside Winston Salem . They told me to be prepared because you couldn’t “hear” them release , I thought this is a crock of BS ! WRONG I had to move my hold points out a skoosh on 2-3-4-5 and 6 . Think there were 50-55 Shooters there of which forty were AA-AAA and by that time I fell in that group . Anyway out of them all I tied for LAST in the HOA with a 390 out of 400 , but atleast the guy I tied was George Lehr an Skeet All American at the time LOL’s . Think Mayes went 398 or 99 , Bender and two others guys got them all . That was my first in person exposure to the “hot dogs” so to speak .
Unread 03-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #39
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

All this talk of skeet trap wobble etc ! I think Wednesday morning I’m heading to the club and shoot with the “Old Guys” . There’s a group of retired guys in our club that shoot Wednesday mornings .