Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns

Notices

Butt pad
Unread 04-04-2018, 08:17 PM   #31
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Butt pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob kuczynski View Post
what were the most common pads used on those sbt's from the period? I know some co's sell retro pads. if I had to replace a rotted one, which would you use?
My SC SBT no. 177xxx came with a crumbled, crusty Silver's Pad which I replaced with a new one. Perfect bore. Some one had stored it in a cheap plastic zippered case which held moisture and it rusted. When I first saw the gun all of the metal parts had turned orange. Luckily the rust came right off with soft rubbing with 4x and light oil. Had to have the barrel latch spring replaced. Beautiful wood, beaver tail forearm which I think is a factory replacement because the color doesn't match the stock very well. Straight grip with a chip out that runs along the lower tang. Patterns high, as it should. Perfect balance and she swings sweet as can be.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Parker SBT pad
Unread 04-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #32
Gary Cripps
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Parker SBT pad

Looking for advice or a correct pad. I was lucky to pick up a nice early (1918) SBT about a year ago. The fellow I bought it from had replaced the pad himself (poorly) just before selling it. I have been looking for a pad since buying the gun without success. I finally ordered one from Connecticut Shotgun and got it over to my smith. He called today to say it couldn't be fitted. The vent slots were too close to the top and bottom ends. Only an 1/8 " of material would be left after fitting and this he said would not hold up. I called Connecticut and they said they only had this one size available. Is there another source or another brand that would be appropriate for this vintage gun?
Gary Cripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Pad
Unread 04-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #33
Gary Cripps
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Pad

The above pad I ordered was a Hawkins which I thought correct.
Gary Cripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #34
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

In 1918, a solid red Silver pad would be more correct, and would not have problems like you experienced.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #35
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,059 Posts

Orphan Annie wears a Horseshoe Brand pad and a Plexiglas spacer. I think they're period correct...as long as the period is the '50's or '60's !

Unread 07-25-2018, 01:06 AM   #36
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

When I bought my SBT 20 plus years ago from a family friend I had no idea about them. I bought the gun $1500 because it was a Parker. It's an early SC and I've shot it a bunch. It was pretty well worn, but the bore is nice and so is the wood. Straight stock. I can't think of anything specifically to look for when buying one. If you find one, unless it is trashed, buy it.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 07-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #37
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Originality, originality, originality... oh, and condition.

t

I'm on Dean's side of the fence with this one. I guess I am an originality bigot. Refinished guns are ok if they are done properly. I just like all the parts of a Parker gun to be totally Parker. It's a fetish.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #38
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

I'd say fit, fit, fit. I buy trap guns to shoot, not look at. Although I really do like to look at them. Alterations don't bother me as long as the gun fits me. But that's just me.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Gunsmith for locking lever
Unread 08-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #39
Thomas Billeter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Gunsmith for locking lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob kuczynski View Post
a big concern of mine is that on average, a sb trap gun will be opened more often than a sbs or an o&u. im most concerned about side play or loose lock up with truniun wear.(sp)
My first post. I just bought a SBT and shot it the first time today. It's a 1936 gun by the sn and although the wood and metal are nice on the outside the action was very stiff due to not having been cleaned in forever.

I cleaned it up some and took it out this morning. The gun has a release trigger as do my other trapguns. I stopped at the pattern board first and at 30 yards the gun shoots a dense probably 60/40 full choke pattern.

Everything seems to work well. The release lever was about neutral and after 3 rounds is left of center and the action needs to be closed smartly before firing. Does anyone know who would be a good gunsmith to take a look at it? I've had Phillips do work for me in the past and he was first to come to mind.

The other thing that I noticed when cleaning it was that the extractor/ejector screw was loose. Snugged it up and it worked fine to this point. Might be worth a drop of blue locktight?

Any information you oldtimers can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
Thomas Billeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #40
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Bob K., Parker trap guns do not have "trunnions". Some trap guns, such as Berettas and Perazzis, have trunnions, but Ithacas, Foxes and Parkers do not. They have a lug with a circular recess that revolves around a hinge pin. Side play is not usually a problem, but wear to the locking lug surfaces is sometimes a problem. Such a problem is easily fixed by a competent gunsmith, if you can find such a thing.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: