Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Garmin vs. Dogtra
Unread 06-03-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Default Garmin vs. Dogtra

We have been thinking about getting a shocking collar / GPS combo for Sherwood. It seems Dogtra and Garmin are the two options and it seems most people think Garmin is a little better, but more expensive.

What has been the experience here? Thanks in advance
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mills, I believe Garmin and Tri-tronics are one company now, when I started training my hunting dogs in 1997 with the NAVHDA chapter here in Pa everyone recommended Tri-tronics and all the pro trainers I know use them. The collar systems I’ve had from them have always been rugged, dependable and easy to use. I currently use one of the basic units on my Labrador and it’s been trouble free for seven years and counting. I have never had a GPS collar so I can’t speak for them but if I go back to a pointing breed I will probably go that route.
Good luck,
Tim
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timothy Salgado For Your Post:
Unread 06-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
Matt Valinsky
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mills, just my experience here. I have the Garmin Alpha 100 and the new Pro 550 Plus. The Alpha has more features than I will ever use and the Pro 550 Plus needs just one more and it would be perfect, at least for me.

The Alpha is not as user friendly to use for corrections in a hunting situation. Corrections should be made as soon as possible so the dog makes the connection, just can't be done with the Alpha especially if you want/need to change the level of stimulation. Other than that I like it for the features I use. Now, the Pro 550 Plus is extremely easy to use as a training collar. Once you get used to it you will not need to look at it for changing levels of stim and going from low, medium and high. The GPS feature is very basic, it will show the direction your dog is from you, distance from you and if he is on point, really all you need. It has a basic north arrow but no compass feature. The only feature it does not have that I like is the ability to mark your truck so you can get back to it. The Alpha allows you to do that.

For training and hunting in an area your familiar with, the Pro 550 Plus hands down.

Another option you might want to explore is the Sport Dog TEK 1.5. It is user friendly and is feature wise someplace between the Alpha and the Pro 550 Plus and will allow you to mark your truck. Another plus for the Sport Dog, it is Canadian legal where the Garmin Alpha and Pro 550 Plus are not. I had the Sport Dog TEK 1.0 that I used for several years and latter used it for a back up collar to the Alpha 100, it did everything I needed. I let one of the members at my bird dog club talk me out of it, not sure that was a wise decision on my part.

Hope some of this helps, if you have any questions, give me shout.

One more thing I should add. If your not familiar with using a training collar, get with someone who is. It's extremely important in my opinion that you collar condition a dog properly. Also, remember, it is not a device to deal out PUNISHMENT.

"May I meet you there some Golden Autumn day, Forever young, awaiting me, on point." (Brua Keefer)

To my "CJ" dog, a kindred spirit who took every bit of my heart and gave me every bit of his.
Matt Valinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matt Valinsky For Your Post:
Unread 06-04-2019, 03:44 AM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

I've used Tri-Tronics/Garmin for over 30 years (I still have my first training collar -- quite a dinosaur). I've used the "Pro" versions over the years, and have also used the various GPS/training versions. All worked well and met my needs. I train my dogs to respond to the tone so that I don't have to use voice commands or the whistle (although they are whistle trained, too) while hunting. The fact that you can almost infinitely set the stimulation levels is, for me, the real selling point for the Pro versions -- that, and their reliability.

I do have, and have used, a Dogtra training collar. i bought it upon recommendation from a long time professional trainer friend. It works fine and is reliable, but does not have the features I like.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

Mills, it's hard to have it all. IMO, the Garmin is a far superior GPS tracker but the Dogtra is the better e-collar. That all goes back to each companies roots. Since the locator is more important to me, I go with the Garmin and have a separate e-collar for training. However, I very seldom use the e-collar. Many a good dog has been ruined by handlers who didn't know what they were doing with a shock collar. I really like the Astro series, with the mini collar.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 06-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,917 Times in 1,432 Posts

Matt and Garry are spot on with the feed back provided on the Alpha and the 550 Plus.
If Garmin adds the ability to mark the truck they will have they will have everything I would ever need in a collar.
If you don’t need that feature you will love the 550 Plus.
Simple and easy to use.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 06-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have used the Dogtra collar for years. It has the locator and point/beep function I like when hunting grouse. The cover is thick and often I can't see the dog who might be only 30 yards away. However as I hunt in wolf country I'm also looking for a GPS collar that will incorporate the locator, stimulus, and point functions. A lot of the collars on the market have way more functions than I'll ever use. I have a GArmin hand held GPS unit I use to mark the truck so that's not a problem.
Unread 06-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

I looked at them both and chose the Garmin-

I already had Garmin GPS and liked them, the unit works a a GPS as well as a tracking colar

and i think the dogtra requires using your phone as a screen- i would just as soon keep the phone dry in the marsh- much less - i don't have three hands for gun controller and phone
Unread 06-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

I'm not too worried about getting back home, the horse can usually find his way back to the barn.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 06-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #10
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
I'm not too worried about getting back home, the horse can usually find his way back to the barn.
we just may not have that much horse-sense

the idea of the tracking collar is to know where the dog is - I can't hear him, but i can find him

I always carry a compass, but the GPS is still nice to have along