Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 09-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #21
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
God Damnit, Dudley! Do you have to shit on everyone?
From my perspective, I like Brian's enlightened comments. He by no means shit on the gun, just gave his perspective. And he certainly know what its all about. His comment about the prep being in line with the grade of the gun proves it. I've seen too many reblued lower end guns that were polished much finer than Parker did. A real craftsman knows what the barrels originally looked like by grade and preps accordingly. Apparently Briley knows their stuff. Nice job.

In my opinion, drilling a weep hole is not necessary. If a rib is leaking, you will see it in the boiling steps with tiny bubbles along the rib.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #22
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Maybe the rib did have a really tiny leak. not unheard of at all
Unread 09-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #23
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I certainly took no offense at Brian's comments. I respect and value his opinion on the subject. His depth of knowledge on the subject as well as that of others here far exceeds mine. If I were "sensitive" to critique this is NOT a forum I'd frequent (we do tend to be an opinionated bunch). I posted the photos for all to look at and all honest opinions are equally welcome.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #24
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

They do look great and I also value Brian's comments on this forum!
Unread 09-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #25
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

The Dutches of Windsor said, "Don't complain and don't explain." I screwed up on the first part. So I might as well go all the way. I too enjoy Brian's depth of knowledge and expertise. His comments I generally take as spot on. I took exception to "But maybe you don't care about such details." It sounded uppity and snide to this Southern boy.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #26
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
The Dutches of Windsor said, "Don't complain and don't explain." I screwed up on the first part. So I might as well go all the way. I too enjoy Brian's depth of knowledge and expertise. His comments I generally take as spot on. I took exception to "But maybe you don't care about such details." It sounded uppity and snide to this Southern boy.
Ahhh.....that explains your comment. I can see how someone could get the wrong idea from Brian's post.

Actually, most people don't care about the small details. If the barrels look good they are satisified, and rightfully so. But there are those out there who wan't their guns exactly the way they left the factory. I'm one of those and pay close attention to color (I average around 5 iterations of rust, boil, card). But it could be more or less. I examine my barrels under a strong light beside un-oiled (I degrease them beforhand) original high condition barrels and stop when the color is right.

My opinion on weep holes is that they can let in moisture over time. If the rib is leaking badly then that needs to be addressed. If its just a tiny bubble leak, I use a tiny dab of black glass bedding compound and let it sit for 24 hours before proceeding. It works well and does seal the rib, being impervious to the boiling water.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #27
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

The drilled hole wouldn't keep me from buying a gun, and if there was any concern of moisture beneath the rib, I suppose there is a school of thought that prefers to vent it. I have a gun which had been rust blued, and a weep hole was drilled, and subsequently plugged with a piece of lead shot. I'm certain is wasn't an attempt to hide the hole, but close up a way for moisture to get back in.
From an 'originality' perspective, I understand the objection. However, there have been some pretty good photos of the huge amount of rust that can quietly eat away inside there.

I saw no issue with Brian's remarks. He has a way with words that might upset the refined sensibilities, but, frankly, I like a person who doesn't dance around with words. I thinks that's what my mother called passive aggression.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #28
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Edgar, the piece of shot is a fine idea. That WILL seal the area.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Just my opinion but, if you're only drilling to let air and steam/moisture out, why do these "weep holes" need to be so large?... why not drill a less obtrusive hole like say 1/32" or something that would be easier to plug or disguise?

Personally, I'd rather disguise the fact that a weep hole had been drilled when in fact, Parker Bros. never had a need to drill a hole at all and the same can be said for some barrel refinishers like Brad Bachelder when he graced us with his knowledge and presence.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #30
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Thank you for sharing as well.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote