Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

brian: its lookin more and more like this gun had a lotta work done to it while in belgium? i read somewhere that the belgians dont much care for case colors...may explain why the colors have been sadly removed, as well.

i once had a cased colt 1851 navy revolver that was flat out like new...except the father of the consigner had meticulously removed every bit of case color from the gun. and, as you may have guessed, he was belgian.
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ed good For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Ed,

Refer to TPS for info about the 1pc. forend loop. This was used on near all BTFE equipt guns. I see that your aftermarket set of barrels for this gun does have it. But there not no pic in the GB auction showing the forend loop on the original barrels to tell.

Another thing to take note of on this gun, showing that it has been worked over, is the blued forend iron and also top lever. Niether of these is correct.

And my final observation in regards to the BTFE being original or not is the iron itself. It is the correct forend iron (with draw bolt) for a BTFE. But, by the look of the S/N stamping on the iron, it seems that the numbers have been restamped to match the gun. The number style does not match and it is lightly struck and larger compared to the watertable. BTFE was most likely added at the same time that the other barrels were fitted and gun was "restored".
Ed,
As a so called dealer that knows all about vintage shotguns and how they should be restored (ie. case colorss) I cannot believe you don't know what a forend loop is or at least researched it before you openned you mouth. I agree with Brian but hey what do I know.. I've had more skeet guns cross my hands then you ever will...Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #23
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

eric: is it really necessary to be so rude? we were having such a good time here until you chimed in...oh well, after all, this is a public forum...sorta like a public toilet, dont ja know...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ed good For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed good View Post
eric: is it really necessary to be so rude? we were having such a good time here until you chimed in...oh well, after all, this is a public forum...sorta like a public toilet, dont ja know...
Yes it is....
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,619 Times in 2,667 Posts

Ed, there were two issues raised that TPS fills in; the forend loop for beavertail forends and the serial number markings on the forend. I am a long way from being a Parker expert, yet TPS enables me to sometimes sound like I know what I am talking about.

On the SN, you purposefully did not disclose the entire SN for some reason. There were unfinished guns left over at the close of Ilion production and there is a list of those guns. They were finished by others, often Lefever. Those guns often had features that did not comply with the Parker norm.

By going to the internet, you ask people who hang around here and some who may answer. A few may be experts, but many have opinions. Few knowledgeable people give definite opinions without having a gun in hand. Some of the most competant Parker people I know make it a practice to never respond here.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #26
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

we were havin such a good time here...talkin bout gun refinishin. whats right and whats not right. skeet shootin and other such magic things...an now...oh oh! sounds like the water is swirling and we are headin down the crapper...time to wipe and move on.

thanks to all for your positive input and the valuable information you provided re this particular parker skeet gun.
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #27
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,619 Times in 2,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed good View Post
...time to wipe and move on.

Ed, you are absolutely right.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

bruce: just so we understand each other...i respect the book. it is the best of its kind ever written. but being print media, it is frozen in time and is therefore limited. it can only be added to if revised. whereas, the internet is almost like a living thing. it's knowledge base is ever expanding. and i must confess, i am lazy and seek the path of least resistance. it is so much quicker to find info on web sites or in this case access the server brains of other knowledgeable parker aficionados who frequent this and other forums...and thanks again for your input and gentlemanly response to my question regarding the likelyhood that this fine gun has been restocked. ed....flush....
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

"bruce: just so we understand each other...i respect the book. it is the best of its kind ever written"

So read the book...... Then talk...
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,932 Times in 4,785 Posts

Ed, the Parker beavertail sub rib from the barrel flats to the forend lug should look like the same area of the Belgian barrels if it is original. I am guessing it is an original beavertail gun if it is, in fact, a skeet gun. The option code in the Serialization Book means nothing.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote