Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Loved that old "Twilight Zone" show too!
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Loved that old "Twilight Zone" show too!

[QUOTE=Tim Sheldon;11069]Francis, welcome to the dark side! Enjoy that little bugger.

Tim[- looks like I'll have to order some RST 2.5" lite loads for it-Most likely will have Brad B. check it over first- no dents or dings or pits in the barrels, gun is on face- wonder about when Parker dropped the PH (PHE) Grade, and if what I read about that grade is true-that more P grades had Twist/damascus barrels than Parker Steel barrels?
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Congrats on a nice little 16......I am assuming it is an 0 frame in the 6lb range.... Bring it to the Lapeer shoot this spring so a few of us can see it. I will probably shoot a couple of hammer guns and if I get around to loading up some 16ga black powder I may even make a go of the Black Powder portion of the shoot. If you run across a similar GH give me a shout.

Oh.....you have to turn off your pop up blocker to use the database search.

BTW I was the guy with the big lifter at Bachelder's a few weeks ago. I can't remember if I introduced myself.
Kurt
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurt Densmore For Your Post:
I'm planning on it-Paul plans a 3-day event too
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I'm planning on it-Paul plans a 3-day event too

[QUOTE=Kurt Densmore;11073]Congrats on a nice little 16......I am assuming it is an 0 frame in the 6lb range.... Bring it to the Lapeer shoot this spring so a few of us can see it. I will probably shoot a couple of hammer guns and if I get around to loading up some 16ga black powder I may even make a go of the Black Powder portion of the shoot. If you run across a similar GH give me a shout.

Oh.....you have to turn off your pop up blocker to use the database search.

BTW I was the guy with the big lifter at Bachelder's a few weeks ago. I can't remember if I introduced myself.
Kurt- No problem Kurt- great place to chat and "tire kick" and I was pretty sure that was you- Nice 10 bore too- I was at Brad's again today, getting my son-in-laws .270 BA Browning in for a stock repair by Brad- it split slightly at the grip when in the deer stand and apparently slipped. Brad has done similar repairs on .300 WB magnums and they have held, so the milder recoil of the .270 Win. should not be a problem--

FYI-and that of anyone else, I almost bought a 16 Trojan that is Brad's -not a client's consigned gun, but a store inventory gun they bought recently- 28" barrels, two triggers, mfg. 1929 and is the second version w/o the small doll's head extension- clean, never refinished- barrels uncut, ditto the stock, no marred screws, original black buttplate- No 1 frame of course- about 6 lbs. 8 oz. and choked mod. & full I believe.

I know we can't sell our Parkers here, but as I see other members mentioning Parkers offered on various auction sites on the forum, and Brad does sometimes list such guns as he has for sale, well anyway, I was very impressed with that 16 Trojan- almost bought it, but we went on a "recon" in GR and I stumbled into the PH 16- right place, right time, and thanks to the knowledge by osmossis I have gained about Twist/Damascus Parkers from the members here, I had that "go for it" feeling!

However, as I am still a "newbie", if I have inadvertenly broken the "NO guns for sale on the PGCA forum" site and this comment has to be pulled, I will understand. Apparently the NBD of the 16- if you add that of the 12 and the 20 bores together and divide that by two, leans a bit closer to the 20 than the 12- that PH with 26" barrels on the size O frame is sweet indeed-

Now if I were only 35 years younger (and a few lbs. lighter too) and had my old grouse haunts and my Setter- Molly Malone McGuire=-- and that PH- open bored and with light 7/8 oz. of No. 8's chilled- a nice dream for a Winter's night with a fire in the fireplace, a glass of good bourbon and branch and a Bogart movie on the Turner Network--life can be good!!
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Francis, Volume 1 of The Parker Story has a "Grades" section that gives the best extrapolated (I love that word) estimate of Parkers produced by grade, gauge, steel type, barrel length, you name it. It is the most fun section of the entire two volumes. Mr. Cote has some slightly imperfect sets of TPS for around $200, a bargain for sure. (Yup, just checked. Dan is selling the two volumes for $195, a hundred bucks under retail. Just call his 800 number.)
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Now I know what TPS means- thanks!!
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #15
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Now I know what TPS means- thanks!!

[QUOTE=Bill Murphy;11091]Francis, Volume 1 of The Parker Story has a "Grades" section that gives the best extrapolated (I love that word) estimate of Parkers produced by grade, gauge, steel type, barrel length, you name it. It is the most fun section of the entire two volumes. Mr. Cote has some slightly imperfect sets of TPS for around $200, a bargain for sure. (Yup, just checked. Dan is selling the two volumes for $195, a hundred bucks under retail. Just call his 800 number.)[- II just sent in the form and the check for $40.00 for a letter on this PH 16 bore. I don't know Mr. Cote- is he a dealer in books like Judith Bowman or Carol Gunnerman? When you say "slightly imperfect" for the aprox. $100 difference, what does that mean roughly?

I am also wondering if I should submit this PH by serial number to our Curator on the PGCA Pages- Josh Lowenstein- as it was made aprox 1906, and the last patent date on the water table is 1905- If that is the correct time frame for the 12.5% tool steel wear plate introduction- perhaps this may be one of the first PH grades (whether Twist or parker steel) to have that added improvement??
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,556 Posts

Dan Cote is the owner/editor of the Double Gun Journal
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Ooops- I though Dave Weber was the owner--
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Ooops- I though Dave Weber was the owner--

[QUOTE=John Dallas;11102]Dan Cote is the owner/editor of the Double Gun Journal[- thanks for the clarification John- do you have either a phone number or a e-mail address for Mr. Cote? By the way, as you are a fly fisherman (I used to be- big-time) do you tie your own fly patterns? If so, and I still get Craig Matthews' Blue Ribbon Flies catalog- current one had an archival reprint from jack Gartside on all the various feather and plumage from same--

Last sat I got the "money bird" at our club Tower/Euro shoot- a honey buff rooster- head shot so both the flesh (I love pheasant on the table- best game bird goingIMO) and the plumage were "intact"- as compared to a few other of the 135 birds released that got "hammered a bit hard"- I carefully skinned it out, also kept both wings, the entire tail feather assembly and even the head with the white collar and the red eye patches- now it is dusted down with Borax, but once it is cured- if you would like some of this for tying, advise and I will see that you receive some later-
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,556 Posts

Double gun Journal - http://www.doublegunshop.com/doublegunjournal.htm.

Gartside passsed away about two-three months ago.

Thanks for the offer of the feathers, - yes I tie all my own ammo, but I have more pheasant than I can use at the present time.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Unread 01-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

I find it odd that over on DoubleGunShop our buddy Francis has bad mouthed a guys price on a Smith 16 gauge for about a week and called it "the bastard gauge" but on here he's bought one. You are a strange one ol' boy......

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Odd- huum
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #20
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Odd- huum

[QUOTE=Destry L. Hoffard;11125]I find it odd that over on DoubleGunShop our buddy Francis has bad mouthed a guys price on a Smith 16 gauge for about a week and called it "the bastard gauge" but on here he's bought one. You are a strange one ol' boy......

DLH[ With all due respect for the "Gentleman's Code" and our PGCA unwritten rule that repletes the 11th. Commandment "Thou shalt not speak ill of any brother PGCA member"-- let me say this Destry- You are comparing, in my opinion, elephants to eggplants here:

What is written on the PGCA Forum stays on the PGCA Forum- it has absolutely no bearing on any other website. We have links to the LC Smith and the AH Fox collectors websites through our PGCA site, but not to any of the auction/sale gun sites or Mr. Weber's DoubleGunShop site-

Why is this so? I do not know, as I am only one member here of nearly 1000, and certainly not a policy maker- But I will venture it is to avoid any ill-feeling about gun sales or, in the case you mentioned, a offering of a used Smith for sale. That is why I support 110% the PGCA BOD firm policy of NOT allowing that here, to avoid the potential for ill-feelings that can be engendered when someone tries the "barter/offer-counter/offer" technique.

Obviously, not everyone on the DoubleGunShop site agrees with that. That is their right, but let us be fair minded here: Do you always pay the asking price, whether at a gun show or elsewhere, for a used gun, whether a Parker or a Iver Johnson Champion, or do you sometimes make a counter offer.

I was looking to find the gentleman's "bottom line price" as I have a friend looking for a 16 or 20 Smith. Apparently I made a mistake in asking that sort of question on that other forum, one I will most assuredly NOT make again.

You are, without a doubt, one of the better wingshots I have shot with, albiet on both live pigeons and clays, not divers from a layout boat in a 35 knot wind--and you have first-class gun handling manners, as I would hope view my gun handling- But we are not friends or buddies, and I politely suggest for the good of this Forum we refrain from any further discussions, for the good of the PGCA.