Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 04-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #11
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Wow... that IS bad.

The frame did warp. You can see the fit against the stock. It stands up high at the top and stands out on the bottom. The forend iron is warped too.
Hopefully the gun can be fixed, but it would require annealing and re-hardening. And a lot of praying that things have enough memory to go back to where they were, Or at least close. The barrels will likely need to be set back and refitted to compensate for the movement.

The condition of the screws, and the gun not being assembled is completely inexcusable. And a blued top lever on a Parker??!!

I personally would not have removed the name from the gun, it wasn't crudely done and it wasn't just Joe Blow’s name. It was evidence of the history of the fine shooter of the gun.
Unread 04-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #12
Jack
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sad and shocking. I'm so sorry this happened, but thanks for sharing the story.

I have a good, original VH of the same vintage. I feel like getting it out of the safe and hugging it....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Huber For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post

I personally would not have removed the name from the gun, it wasn't crudely done and it wasn't just Joe Blow’s name. It was evidence of the history of the fine shooter of the gun.
I would agree with this. As to the rest of it - I'm speechless.
Almost like going to a funeral, and not knowing what to say to the bereaved.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #14
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

I appreciate everyone's comments and inputs. I will leave the restitution question to private discussions between the parties. The point about removing the name is taken. What I regret most is doing anything at all. It was a perfectly functioning shotgun and in attempt to restore it's beauty, the shotgun may have been destroyed by unbelievably poor workmanship. And yes, that's a blued top lever! Didn't see that one coming. A proper evaluation will soon determine whether the gun can be repaired. When I dropped off the VH for restoration, I could not have imagined the hideous mess of non-functioning, butchered parts that would be returned to me, minus any parts lost along the way, such as the front bead. Brian, I hope you are correct in that annealing, hardening and fitting could possibly put it back together again. If that is the case, I will be a happy man. Today, I am just angry. However, I will hold my fire until I know more and give Mr. Roberts and I the opportunity to work together to resolve this matter. I will update the post as I have more information. Until then, hug those Parkers tight
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #15
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Something that surprised me beyond the initial shock of the gun being in pieces, even the engraving is a disaster. Compare the engraving on the action around the screws before and after. It's just a mess.
Unread 04-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #16
Jim Thoma
PGCA Member

Member Info

Absolutely disgusting,how can they send you back your gun back that way they should be paying you for the gun not you for restoring that’s why sometimes you have to leave thinks the way they are, I usually don’t post much just read the great information I get from the Parker guys, but when I saw your pictures before and after it made my stomach turn good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Thoma For Your Post:
Unread 04-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #17
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Did he give you any indication that there were issues before he shipped the gun back to you, or did he just send it to you for evaluation?

My biggest pet-peeve about abused Parkers is buggered up screws. It's something that can easily be fixed even if you put them back in the white or give them a quick blue. To do a full restoration and put back screws like that is pretty crappy. All the other stuff on top of that is inexcusable.

Sorry to see that. I'm interested to see of the smith will hop onto this thread with an explanation.
Unread 04-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #18
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chris, I picked up the gun directly from JJ Roberts last night. I knew there were problems reassembling it after case hardening. It had gone back to Classic Guns to be reassembled. I spoke to John Gillette personally and he asked it be returned to him when JJ Roberts could not resemble it. John claimed his crucible thermostat malfunctioned. JJ said John mistakenly removed the bottom plate before hardening and that caused it, and that John didn’t pay attention during the hardening process due to declining health. I have no idea who is telling the truth and I don’t much care. Between the two of them, they butchered the gun. Right now, I don’t know who mangled the screws. Buggered seems to be too mild a term for it. After a couple months of John Gillette “working on it.” I asked that it be returned. According to JJ, the gun came back as he sent it to Gillette. Gillette had not done anything. I had no idea the extent of the damage to the gun until last night. That is how I received it, in pieces with an apology from JJ. No plan to do anything, simply an I’m sorry. John Gillette did not apologize. To date, neither has made an offer to make this right, or a plan to fix the gun. This has gone on now for several months. I will keep the remainder of the financial matters between JJ Roberts and me. Just unthinkable levels of incompetence. Staggering.
Unread 04-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #19
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,250 Posts

Are you out any money for this abortion of gunsmithing?
Unread 04-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #20
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Of course he is!! The loss in value of the gun for one! What a shame!