Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Walmart Ammo Prices
Unread 03-20-2024, 02:27 PM   #1
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Walmart Ammo Prices

Today while looking in the sporting goods section, I noticed these prices.
Is 28 gauge less expensive than 16 gauge ammo around the country?
Last fall the 12 gauge Winchester ammo was reduced in price by about $ 3.00/box
The Federal 16 gauge ammo several weeks ago was about the same price as the 28 gauge ammo is now??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walmart ammo 1.jpg (199.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg walmart ammo 2.jpg (183.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg walmart ammo 3.jpg (262.9 KB, 9 views)
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2024, 03:56 PM   #2
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

The amount of price fluctuation in Walmart ammo is very highly influenced by individual store management (e.g., inventory and resupply) of items in demand. Smart managers with reordering savvy keep their shelves stocked as best they can; some remain asleep at the wheel.

There are at least 4 Walmarts within a 20-mile radius here in NOVA; one stocks nothing but metallic ammo, another usually has a very meager selection of shotshells across the gauges, of the remaining two, one will have a "flurry" of shotshell ammo every few weeks and then nothing, and the last store seems to always have a supply across the gauges every 2-3 weeks. The prices shown for 28 gauge is exactly the same as it is here, but the availability of 16 gauge is next to non-existent. Within the last month, Walmart's price of the Winchester 4-box 100-packs in 12 or 20 gauge has risen to $37.66 per pack, up from $22.97 a year or so ago. With an added 6% sales tax you are very near $10 per box, which local public shooting ranges are now beating at $95 per flat (10 boxes), tax included!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 03-20-2024, 05:36 PM   #3
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

I asked why no buckshot when deer season comes around and no turkey shot when that season comes in. Then I was able to clean up on unsold greatly discounted Federal 3rd Degree turkey ammo after the season when they had none at the start. The reply was that they have no control over what they get. Some genius decides for them.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2024, 06:37 PM   #4
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

I have heard the same BS from Walmart, Cabelas and Bass Pro - "never know what we're going to get until we get it." This smacks of a lazy or ignorant style of supply and demand management, which essentially amounts to the same thing.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 03-20-2024, 08:06 PM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
I asked why no buckshot when deer season comes around and no turkey shot when that season comes in. Then I was able to clean up on unsold greatly discounted Federal 3rd Degree turkey ammo after the season when they had none at the start. The reply was that they have no control over what they get. Some genius decides for them.
I had a friend that worked at the Walmart in Culpeper when they first opened . He actually managed the sporting goods area . Anyway he always claimed they had a book under the counter very similar to the old Ellet Brothers gigantic catalog and they could order you anything they had listed . Now bear in mind that was 15+ years ago so without a doubt that’s changed . Sadly my friend passed about seven years ago .
Unread 03-20-2024, 11:06 PM   #6
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Lets remember, Wally World works on a computer POS system for sales and inventory. If the store sells alot of some lot numbers Bentonville sees those lot numbers and "should" send more product based on seasonal trends.... I repeat "should"
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2024, 04:21 AM   #7
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

One of the things I’ve noticed shooting in the UK, is shotgun ammo prices are about half. Everything else is more expensive in the UK. But, if you want a flat of shells, there is seemingly unlimited inventory of every caliber, load, length and size shell imaginable. And, it’s cheap! You want a 2.5 inch, 16 gauge shell with 1/2 Oz of #7 steel shot? No problem! Or any other combination you can think of. How can the US, with massive domestic production capacity and huge numbers of shooters, be so limited in choice with sky-high prices? Maybe someone with a production background can explain but it doesn’t seem logical.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
Unread 03-26-2024, 07:04 AM   #8
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,948 Times in 1,437 Posts

I sure cannot explain it. That said I would appreciate you providing some examples of what you pay for a flat of the more common loads.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2024, 09:24 AM   #9
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,070 Posts

The best prices I’ve found locally have been at Sheel’s. Federal target loads are $89.90 per flat. I think Cabela’s has some at around $100. I haven’t bought any hunting loads in a while.
Unread 03-26-2024, 11:34 AM   #10
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

I am a store front gun dealer. Manufacturers do the same thing, make and ship hunting guns after the season has ended! Poor planning for sure and steels cash flow from my sales that did not happen! SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote