Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

*Dead Ducks & 34" Live Bird Gun...
Unread 01-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default *Dead Ducks & 34" Live Bird Gun...

Recent threads here on 34" barrel and Live-Bird guns had me thinking about an interesting Parker that lives in the Pacific Northwest. A couple weeks ago while visiting my folks, my father and I took a few days to do some late season water fowling. One of those days we decided to take his 34" VHE Parker, which is live-bird configured with No safety and single trigger. It had been a while since I shouldered the slender long barreled gun, and the first thing coming to mind was how well the early Parker Bros artisans were at building a 34" double that shoots and balances more like a 30" gun...

Parker #163747 was ordered May 20th, 1913 by D.C. Williamson, and shipped July 19th, 1913 to the Tufts Lyon Arms Company of Los Angeles. In addition to it's 34" Vulcan pipes, the capped pistol grip stock was set up with a 15" LOP, 1 3/8" DAC, 2" DAH, and 1" Pitch. Weight was 7 pounds 14 ounces, which actually feels more like an even seven pounds in the hands. Special requests were full comb & No safety, with an additional charge of $18.75 for ejectors, and $10.00 for extra barrel length.

Just weeks after taking delivery of his new Parker, research reveals a D.C. Williamson competing on September 14, 1913 at the Pacific Coast Handicap shoot in Sacramento. I like to think D.C. was shooting his new 34" gun that day. Where Parker #163747 traveled to in later years is somewhat of a mystery. Remington repair codes on the barrel flats indicate it was returned in July of 1938 for what had to be a conversion from double triggers to a later model 2-screw single trigger, which it now carries.

Fancy scratch on early doubles is always a nice touch, but over the years the inherent quality I've found most appealing is the bare-bone lines and design of a well made double gun. Simplicity in utility continues to score high marks with this 1913 No-Safety Parker, and I have to think D.C. Williamson has a big smile on his face knowing his VHE is still getting some regular exercise in 2015.

#163747 remains quite effective on clays and serves very well as a dedicated heart-stopper on Ducks, Geese, and the occasional long-range windy day Rooster. It sure was nice to revisit some of the old hunting haunts with my Pop. The sights, sounds, and mossy river bottom smells were about the same as they've always been, only thing different was the recent addition of those damn eye-sore wind turbines sometimes seen on the horizon.

Brought a few Green Heads home to cook, and although not as good as Mom's roast Duck from 40+ years ago, my fearless yellow Lab and I thought they tasted pretty good.... Wife would Not have any part of it... A Duck, is a Duck, is a Duck.... Thanks Pop! ...

Best, Chris ~ CSL

Christopher Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,293 Times in 862 Posts

Thanks for sharing Chris.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,235 Times in 3,276 Posts

great post Chris

that long view is reminiscent of an old long tom fowler

thanks
Unread 01-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

What ammunition did you use on the geese? I want to try my VH on geese next year. Looks like you were very successful.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2015, 01:20 AM   #5
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,502 Times in 1,344 Posts

I enjoyed your story and the gun pics. What I would give for a Parker like that.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 01-21-2015, 04:19 AM   #6
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Christie View Post
What ammunition did you use on the geese? I want to try my VH on geese next year. Looks like you were very successful.
------------------------------------------------

Jeff,

Factory Bismuth, 1 1/4 of #2's

Best, Chris

Christopher Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher Lien For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2015, 05:42 AM   #7
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,985 Times in 1,408 Posts

Beautiful gun. You are fortunate to be able to hunt with your dad, this will be a lasting memory I am sure.

Is the gun still 15" LOP? I could not handle a shotgun that long very well.

320 pellets of number 7 1/2 at 3 1/4 dram. That sounds like a 1 1/8 ounce loading and if so that means he was ordering the gun to shoot 80-81 percent at 40 yards. That is a long range killing machine. Have you ever patterned it with modern loads?
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,675 Times in 1,040 Posts

The 15" LOP is commonly seen on 32- and 34-inch barreled guns and was one of the ways (along with frame size, barrel contouring and stock manipulation) that Parker Bros. (and others) achieved the wonderful handling characteristics of these long-barreled lovelies. The guns do indeed seem to handle like 30-inch or less guns coming in around 7+/- pounds. Many were of course shortened afterwards for a variety of reasons, but the original balance and handling characteristics are always a source of joy for the shooter.
Kevin McCormack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,552 Times in 12,447 Posts

A wonderful gun Chris. I too know how those special 34" Parkers feel and handle and anyone who has been fortunate enough to 'heft' John Dunkle's great-grandfather's fabulous Double Trap knows too. It is truly unbelievable how such a gun feels... until you actually handle one and shoot one.

Great thread Chris - thanks.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,175 Posts

Nice work! I'm with you on those damn wind turbines. Where I hunt in Canada is covered with them these days. And they definitely affect the movements of waterfowl. The local nesting geese have nearly deserted the area where they stand.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post: