Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Parker Repro vs Merkel 20 gauge - Differences?
Unread 06-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Rud Blumentritt
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Parker Repro vs Merkel 20 gauge - Differences?

I figured you guys would have some good insight on this question...I am looking at a 20 gauge Repro and a 20 gauge Merkel. Both are made in the same era (80's/90's) - the Merkel is a post GDR gun. Similar dimensions, weight etc. What do you see as the main differences in these 2 guns, in general. I would like to get both, but that's not an option right now! So what sets them apart would greatly help in my decision.
Rud Blumentritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

What grade is the Merkel? I'd put the 147E in the same category FWIW. I've owned several Merkel's. I don't think they have the flow of the Parkers but they are just about bombproof and I believe in 20 gauge they are normally lighter then the Parkers. The 147E is/was hand engraved. Unless the Merkel is an EL grade its going to most likely have plainer wood then the Repro, but it will be better laid out IMO. Tough choice IMO. I'd probably lean Merkel as I've several and they are overbuilt and will last forever. However, since this is a Parker forum you may get more nods to the repro.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post:
Unread 06-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

I wouldn't trust a Merkel single trigger. The guy I hunt with uses a 16 gauge Merkel and the only issue he had was with an ejector (easily fixed). If they are both double trigger guns it's a tough choice. Can you shoot them befor you buy?

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
Rick Roemer
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a double trigger straight grip Merkel in 20 gauge. I like it very much. Plenty light and never have had an issue with it. I believe the wood is much more straight grain on Merkel than any Parker repro I’ve seen. I do like the Parker wood-more interesting. I like the Merkel cross bolt action- appears strong and is interesting mechanically. I believe it’s a Greener design. When opening the action it is quite tight. Probably will become looser, but hasn’t in the 15 years I’ve owned it. I only use for hunting though so not a lot of use. I’ve never owned a repro but appreciate them. I believe the Parker probably has more collecting value. Do the pre and post GDR guns differ?

George Bird Evans
Rick Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roemer View Post
I have a double trigger straight grip Merkel in 20 gauge. I like it very much. Plenty light and never have had an issue with it. I believe the wood is much more straight grain on Merkel than any Parker repro I’ve seen. I do like the Parker wood-more interesting. I like the Merkel cross bolt action- appears strong and is interesting mechanically. I believe it’s a Greener design. When opening the action it is quite tight. Probably will become looser, but hasn’t in the 15 years I’ve owned it. I only use for hunting though so not a lot of use. I’ve never owned a repro but appreciate them. I believe the Parker probably has more collecting value. Do the pre and post GDR guns differ?
I was big time into Merkel's at one time before I switched over to Parkers and Foxes. Owned several because I was stationed in Germany at the time and they were amazingly inexpensive compared to here. Had a 20 gauge 47SL, a 28 and 20 gauge 122E, a 16 gauge 122E and a 1620. Also owned a couple of 47E models. None of them gave me a lick of trouble in any way. All were double trigger guns. Never had one with poor layout when it comes wood. German's IMO are much more into strength then figure as a rule. Some of the higher grade Merkel's still had so so walnut as far a figure went as compared a lot of other guns for sure, but they were strong. I think they basically took the same design and turned then into double rifles for shooting cape buffalo was why there were so stubborn on having great grain layout where it counts. Regarding breaking a Merkel in, it takes forever because the tolerances are so tight. My buddy still had two Merkel's that I bought from him circa 1995 and that's all he shoots. Still no problems ever. The 147E 28 gauge is fantastic. Half knob grip and killer walnut. That particular gun I special ordered for him when I ordered two others and requested they upgrade the wood and they sure did. IMO they are over built to some degree for sure. They however won't let you down. IMO the quality today isn't what it was in the early to mid 90's, which in itself was better then the GDR made guns.
Unread 06-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Rick Roemer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom tutwiler View Post
I was big time into Merkel's at one time before I switched over to Parkers and Foxes. Owned several because I was stationed in Germany at the time and they were amazingly inexpensive compared to here. Had a 20 gauge 47SL, a 28 and 20 gauge 122E, a 16 gauge 122E and a 1620. Also owned a couple of 47E models. None of them gave me a lick of trouble in any way. All were double trigger guns. Never had one with poor layout when it comes wood. German's IMO are much more into strength then figure as a rule. Some of the higher grade Merkel's still had so so walnut as far a figure went as compared a lot of other guns for sure, but they were strong. I think they basically took the same design and turned then into double rifles for shooting cape buffalo was why there were so stubborn on having great grain layout where it counts. Regarding breaking a Merkel in, it takes forever because the tolerances are so tight. My buddy still had two Merkel's that I bought from him circa 1995 and that's all he shoots. Still no problems ever. The 147E 28 gauge is fantastic. Half knob grip and killer walnut. That particular gun I special ordered for him when I ordered two others and requested they upgrade the wood and they sure did. IMO they are over built to some degree for sure. They however won't let you down. IMO the quality today isn't what it was in the early to mid 90's, which in itself was better then the GDR made guns.
How are the pre/post GDR guns different? Are they marked differently?

George Bird Evans
Rick Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roemer View Post
How are the pre/post GDR guns different? Are they marked differently?
They are marked GDR on the barrels. I found the finish (metal and wood) to be a tad less nice overall. GDR's simply by being made during that time frame seem to bring less money. IMO they are still good buys because the basic design never changed.

PS. Simson was also made in that same factory in Suhl and they are clones of the Merkel's in just about every way possible. They can often be found for a good bit cheaper.
Unread 06-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

The question I would ask is the difference when you want to sell one of them.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
The question I would ask is the difference when you want to sell one of them.
Agree. IMO the Parker will hold its value better if you decide you want to sell down the road because of name recognition and the fact that not many repros were made in comparison to Merkel's (aka supply and demand). .

However, If you want a gun to hunt with for 30 years that will take a licking and keep on ticking I'd say Merkel.
The Following User Says Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post:
Unread 06-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #10
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

Pre war Merkel's quality is akin to best Birmingham guns. I have had 203, and 303 guns, but I have avoided postwar guns as the quality difference was obvious. I suspect most current production Merkels are at least as good as Repros, and other Japanese guns.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: