Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Many hours later...
Unread 01-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Default Many hours later...

I have been working in my spare time in the evenings and weekends for the last few months, an hour hear and an hour there, to clean up and "Meriden-ize" a Parker Repro A-1 Special that was "In-the-white".

The Repros were modeled after very late Remington manufactured guns, when frame sculpting got a little less refined than earlier guns. When I really got to studying the lines of the gun, I found a lot of areas to be relatively crudely finished, ie: contour lines that were not true and straight. I set off to re-shaping the frame and refining the lines. My goal was for the gun to look as true to early Meriden manufacture as possible.

The shoe filing on the bottom of the frame was deepened and lengthen back towards the trigger plate. The belly of the frame and forend iron were brought up a LOT and then the radius in front of the trigger plate was defined. The sides of the frame around the hinge pin were also thinned up along with the forend iron.

I rounded up and better defined the front of the side panels on the frame. Also, the bottom of the side panels was brought up by nearly 1/8" and a very hard line was used to break the bottom of this panel. The radius under the panel was taken in for a better transition into the trigger plate.

The trigger plate was converted to accept double triggers vs. the SST that was in it. This process is explained in another thread.

The breech end of the barrels were rounded over at the corners a good deal. This was all taken down to make a seamless transition into the breech balls. The triple beaded fences were also cleaned up and taken in tighter on top and bottom sides.

A major area of refinement was the top lever and the top of the frame where the sighting plane starts. The Later Parkers, and the Repros had a very thick top lever which allowed the concave sighting plane to come very far back onto the top lever. I took the top lever WAY down in thickness and re-contoured it to move the start of the sight plane up closer to the rib extension.
The thumb pad on the top lever was also reduced in size by nearly 50% for a much more streamlined look. Both of these made a world of difference in the side profile of the gun.

The top of the frame behind the bolsters was re-contoured and the line between them and the side panels was refined and sharpened up.

The top tang bevel was sharpened up at the front, and then extended down the full length of the tang as it was simply left flat previously.

Finally a new safety button was made from scratch in the original A-1 style which truly sets the gun apart from the pack.

All of this work also removed about 1 oz. of metal from the frame. Another benefit.

All of the definition of the frame lines makes things a lot easier when it comes time for engraving, so that the border work can be good and true.

Enjoy some photos below of before and after the work above was performed. This work in all was about 20 hours of time.

Left Side Before

Before 3.jpg

Before 5.jpeg

Left Side After

IMG_2988.jpeg

Bottom Before

Before 11.jpeg

Before 9.jpeg

Bottom After

IMG_2989.jpeg

IMG_2990.jpeg

Top Before

Before 6.jpg

Top After

IMG_2985.jpeg

IMG_2986.jpeg

Safety Button Before

Before 7.jpg

Safety Button After

IMG_2995.jpeg

Bottom Quarter Before

Before 8.jpg

Bottom Quarter After

IMG_2993.jpeg

A few more afters

IMG_2991.jpeg

IMG_2994.jpeg
allen newell, Bill Jolliff, Bill Murphy, Bill Zachow, Bob Decker, Bob Jurewicz, Bob Kimble, Brett Farley, Brett Hoop, Brian Arthur, Buddy Marson, Charles Shelton, chris dawe, Chris Robenalt, Chris Taylor, Craig Larter, Daryl Corona, Dave Noreen, David Noble, Dean Freeman, Dean Romig, Dylan Rhodes, edgarspencer, Eric Eis, Eric Estes, Eric Johanen, Frank Cronin, Garry L Gordon, Garth Gustafson, Gary Bodrato, Gary Carmichael Sr, Gary Laudermilch, George Davis, GunnerGrilli, Harry Collins, Henry McRoberts, Henry Verri, Jacob Duke, Jay Gardner, Jeff Christie, Jim Thynne, John Brazelton, John Dallas, John Davis, keavin nelson, Ken Snyder, Larry Stauch, Linn Matthews, Lloyd Bernstein, Louis Caissie, Mark Britton, Mark Garrett, Mark Ray, Michael Earls, Michael Lansing, Michael Murphy, Mike Franzen, Mike McKinney, Paul Ehlers, Pete Kappes, Pete Thompson, Randy G Roberts, Richard Flanders, Robert Brooks, Ron Gebhart, Russ Jackson, Sara LeFever, scott kittredge, Shawn Wayment, Stan Hillis, Steve Huffman, Steven Wilson, Timothy Salgado, todd allen, Tom Hawkins, Tom Pellegrini, tom roberts, William Woods
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,233 Posts

Brian, very nice work. Who will do the engraving?
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I would guess GG of course....

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
Buddy Marson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Brian, I am always impressed by your quality of work and attention to Parker detail!
All the best,
Buddy
Buddy Marson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddy Marson For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,782 Times in 4,717 Posts

Great file work, Brian.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #6
Mark Britton
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just blew my mind ! As it passed over my head. Nice work
Mark Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Britton For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
Mark Beasland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Most have no idea the amount of work and time that kind of detail takes. Well Done Brian!
Mark Beasland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark Beasland For Your Post:
Visit Mark Beasland's homepage!
Unread 01-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Kudo's to you Brian! The file work on this one is truly outstanding!!!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #9
Todd Schrock
PGCA Member

Member Info

Beautiful work Brian!
Todd Schrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

This A-1 Special will get restocked and a Meriden SSBP will be used instead of the Repro plate. The photo below will show why. The Reproductions used the same sized ssbp on both 12 and 20g. guns. This results in a butt that is simply too short and way too narrow for a 12g. gun.
An original NOS Meriden plate will be used in the proper size for a 1-1/2 framed 12g.

Meriden ssbp on left and the Repro plate on right.

IMG_3072.jpeg
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!