Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 12-15-2023, 05:49 PM   #21
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

High condition best British guns will hold their value and are a unique market. Sounds like you want a shooter. Hit the Southern SxS next year and you will see a bunch. Remember, many British makers of second and third tier were capable of making best guns. Give those a look and save yourself some money
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2023, 11:16 PM   #22
Wilmurt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Contact Bill @ Robin Hollow Guns at Addieville East Farms. He has several very nice Purdey’s that are reasonably priced.
Tom Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2023, 01:56 AM   #23
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Over the past 18 months, I’ve gotten a fairly good feel for the British gun market. I’ve attended a few Holt’s auctions in person and have bought a couple guns at auction. First, the cost to import a gun from the UK to the U.S. has come down considerably. This is mostly due to Holt’s working with a new importer. They sell a huge number of guns to American clients. In the auctions I have attended, I’ve seen several old guns, particularly Purdey’s, go for absurd prices, usually to buyers bidding by phone or online. One can assume most of these are Americans. One particular Purdey was shown to me at a shooting ground before it went to auction. It was thoroughly worn. I considered offering the owner £1500 but decided to pass as it would have likely been a money pit. That same gun sold for £3500 plus commission. That’s nearly $5800 before import fees. I thought, someone is going to be very disappointed when that Purdey finally arrives. You can get amazing deals by buying at auction in the UK. And as I mentioned, the import costs have come way down, thanks to Holt’s. Personally, I would only buy from Holt’s and only after attending in person. Or, have a friend or pay an agent to inspect the gun in person. Or, go to the auction! Seriously, if you are going to lay out serious money for a dream gun, hop on the plane and fly to the UK. Attending in person is huge fun and quite exciting. Plus, you can spend hours and hours viewing and handling the finest guns in the world, asking questions and chatting with the incredibly knowledgeable and personable Nick Holt. I wound up buying a Rigby from Holt’s at about 1/3 of what I would have paid in the US. But I spent hours in the gun room pouring over every gun of interest, taking notes and setting personal bid limits for each. In the end, I got an awesome gun at a great price. It wasn’t easy and took a bit of luck in terms of other bidders. Always remember, you are bidding against extremely knowledgeable collectors and other retailers in the British trade. They aren’t sitting at home looking at pics and bidding by laptop. They come in person or have an employee or trusted friend view them in person.

Another great option, as Ed mentioned, is the Southern SxS. Francis Lovell ?owner of Atkin, Grant &Lang), Edward Martin, Diggory Hadoke and others attend each year. Francis moves a heck of a lot of guns at the Southern. All are very reputable. They can source a gun for you and bring it with them. These will generally be antiques, 1898 or older, to avoid ATF Form 6 paperwork. Or, just go to the Southern and see what they’ve brought with them for sale. From what I saw this year, there were some great deals, particularly from AG&L.

Last edited by Joe Graziano; 12-22-2023 at 02:18 AM..
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
Unread 12-22-2023, 03:17 AM   #24
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I think attending in person at Holt’s is an excellent idea! That’s something to consider.

The most disappointing thing about attending an auction in person, however, is making the effort to attend, with high expectations, only to find the lots you are interested in are unattainable due to online or phone bidders blowing you out of the water. It was more fun in the days when your competition was often just anyone else in the room, +/- the occasional left bid.
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2023, 06:36 AM   #25
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Oh yes. I know how you feel, especially if you travel a long way. I’m already in Europe and go to the UK to shoot, so it’s simply taking a day off shooting and driving to Norfolk. The other side of it is what I did a couple auctions ago. I looked at the guns prior, then decided to bid online the day of the auction while out shooting clays. As you can guess, I got distracted and missed two great opportunities. The very last sidelock was a Rigby “B” grade with a rising bite. It had gone for £4200 in the previous auction and I guess was never paid. It was a beautiful gun. It went for £1K! I pulled up the auction just as it was going, going, gone! I couldn’t click bid fast enough and someone else got an amazing deal. And that’s auctions. ��
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post: