Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Probably a combination of things - dry conditions as suggested; the way the stock is attached to the frame; oil soaked stock head....
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eldon
I always glass bed the stock head on all Ithaca Mag or Supper tens... I never have any problems... It is a good idea to do so on all old doubles that a person plans to shoot. ((My opinion))
David
David Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

I recently acquired a NID 10 Magnum and it is now at Bachelders' home for wayward doubles. At first I thought that the stock was loose but closer inspection revealed that the stock was tight. The cause of the wobble was side to side movement of the barrels on the action. Brad informed me that in his experience this is fairly common for this gun.

Oh, my NID 10 magnum has the single trigger with selector in the safety!

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mark
NID # 500322 is a factory 28" gun with a unmarked Miller non selective trigger. I have shot this gun for a number of years, with out a hiccup ever. The ejectors and those big long cases still work as new. However another NID 32 " gun sports a .005 shim on the hinge pin. As per Bachelders Statement. I wonder if the long heavy barrels may have an effect on the hinge pin???

Mark When pattering old NID Ithaca 10, I still place A Salt Lake City Phone book in the middle of the pattern board in hopes of measuring pellet penetration, by counting the pages that the pellet traveled through...
David
Unread 04-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

So, how about some pictures of all these Ithaca 10's???
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

The mismatched forend on the gun in question could be from an Ithaca other than a Super Ten. I have not measured a 12 against a Super 10, but I bet the forearms are identical. By the way, I also have a high condition Mag Ten with buttplate. They didn't make many that way, but they made a few. My AYA lightweight Matador ten was a buttplate gun, shot it for years, and I never really missed a recoil pad. Dave Lien, my non ejector Mag Ten has a latch forend. I wonder if the serial number range determines whether a latch was used on non ejector guns?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill
Eldons gun is avery late gun, I guess after ww11 and most likely made up from parts on hand. Maybe some one lost the forearm, and this was the only replacement. 40 years ago Lefever arms (repair Shop) located at Lee Center NY. was replacing ten Ga. rotary bolts with NOS bolts.They told me then that they had bought all the remaining parts for the NID tens from Ithaca.
Ithaca made less than one thousand guns in the 500,000 ser. Number range and some of them were 12 Ga. guns.
David
Unread 04-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #18
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

The tang screws loosening up can cause an up and down movement in the stock head. Specifically the rear one.
If you find that tightening the screws takes care of it, then you know that is the issue or kind of the issue.
I say kind of because you also have to look at if the screws are correctly timed. Take the rear tang screw for example. Is the end of it finished flush with the upper tang? Or is it sunk down in below the level of the tang. If it is sunk down in, then it is loose for sure. But... If the screw is flush, and tightening it more (so that it sticks up above the tang) also tightens up the stock, then you know the issue is wood related as suggested above.
A way to remedy this situation could be to put some cards rock shims under the trigger plate tang or upper tang at the rear. This will allow you to tighten the screw more for a snug fit, yet not have the screw stick up above the tang.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #19
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Brian
The screws are down past where they should be so the wood is definitely loose.

The forearm is 467307 so if any of you have this gun maybe you have my forearm.

Brian I have a fix for the problems expect a delivery in about a month. After all I have to at least test fire it first.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #20
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Lien View Post
The short 10 Ithaca is a favorite of mine and is a very affordable 10ga. gun. If you find a good one then buy it! Patrick
I recall reading in the description of a Super 10 for sale by Julia's a couple of years ago that the total production for Super 10's in all grades was under 600 guns, 567 or something like that. Is that correct, were fewer Super 10's made than NID 10ga Magnums?
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote