Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

The Olathe Gun Shop
Unread 05-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,338 Times in 364 Posts

Default The Olathe Gun Shop

I was in Lawrence Kansas last weekend for my youngest daughter's college graduation and took some time and ran down to The Olathe Gun Shop. I hadn't been in the shop in almost 20 years, it always had a fair share of quality side by sides. Well I'm pleased to say it is better than ever with probably close to 200 side by sides and several SBTs. Lots of Parkers, L.C. Smiths, Foxes, Ithacas, Bakers, Colts, Syracuse Arms, English and Scottish side by sides with a wide range of grades and quality.
If you are traveling through Kansas City area it worth your time to take a break and shop.
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Don't try dealing with the owner over the phone. He is unreliable at best. He never did anything he told me he was going to do. Just made up excuses.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Isn't this the place that has a couple hundred double's on Gunbroker for sale ?
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Same place. The fellow that owns all these guns is somehow connected with the gun shop but not an owner of the shop as near as I could figure. If you call them about a gun that is on gun Broker they will tell you that he is not part of the shop and that they no nothing about the gun in question and give you the gun owners phone no.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

The fellow that you are running down is a friend and a PGCA member and a major dealer in Parker and other double guns, mainly US double guns. He owns the guns, they are on display in an added part of the shop, and he partners with my friend Mike Malone, who owns the shop . Mike Jensen owns the guns, sells them on gunbroker and through the shop. He has sold Parkers to several satisfied friends who were pleased with the deal. If a person wants to find out about a double gun, they should talk to Mike Jensen, as the fellows up front are not versed in the classic guns.

If Mike Jensen was not immediately available to answer questions it may be because he does frequent church trips to Mexico or south to do home construction for poor people. He is a successful roofing business owner in Kansas City .

I am in the shop frequently and everybody there has been extremely helpful to me. This is Dave Parkers old shop, who was a Parker dealer for many years.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
George Lang
PGCA Member

Member Info

I wholeheartedly agree with you Bruce. I recently purchased a gun from Mike Jenkins that he had listed on Gun Broker and found him to be reliable, knowledgeable and very easy to deal with plus he has a vast array of doubles of all kinds to choose from. I would definitely deal with Mike again and hope to do so soon. I would recommend him to anyone.
George Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Lang For Your Post:
Unread 05-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,338 Times in 364 Posts

I bought multiple guns from this shop when I had an office in Overland Park in the 90s. When I was there last Saturday everyone in the shop was very helpful and truly allowed me examine the guns. If I lived in the Kansas City area I visit this shop on a regular bases.
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Davis For Your Post:
Unread 05-24-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,623 Posts

I have only had one purchase experience with Mike on Gunbroler and it was just on a Parts gun, but it was a good experience. Or at least not a bad one. I can say that they do have a great offering of fine guns.
Unread 05-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #9
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

I don't know anything about the shop, or Mike's arrangement with owners, but I have never heard a bad word about Mike.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Mike Jensen will freely admit that he specializes in lower grade and low condition but usable classic American doubles that he can find and buy inexpensively. Sometimes there is a gem, but if a person doesn't have a lot to spend and is willing to compromise, he is a good source. At any given time, there will be about 100 on display at the shop and another 200-300 in storage , so ask if you want something in particular. With several hundred guns in inventory and running a busy roofing business, being active in his church, and running a small farm, he doesn't have a lot of spare time. Many of his better guns have Damascus barrels refinished by Dale Edmonds.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote