Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #31
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Lego View Post
Hi J.B. I want to say thanks for posting the spread sheet. i did notice what appears to be an error in the amount of Herco used. I think the numbers must have about 10 grains added to the correct amount. I was using Sherman Bell's loads of 30 grains Herco and 1-1/4 oz. I might see going to 33 or maybe even 35 grains but 45 grains-29 grains Unique sounds right and Unique in a 10 gauge is right around the Herco range.

You are welcome, I just double checked the spreadsheet against my cited sources of that loading data, the 1968 and 1970 Hercules Reloading guides. The amount of Herco stated is correct as published in those guides. I believe those powders have changed since that was published and I put a note in the sidebar in red advising that I would reduce these charges by 15 to 20%. Perhaps advising a reduction by 25% would be more prudent.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #32
Cal Lego
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
You are welcome, I just double checked the spreadsheet against my cited sources of that loading data, the 1968 and 1970 Hercules Reloading guides. The amount of Herco stated is correct as published in those guides. I believe those powders have changed since that was published and I put a note in the sidebar in red advising that I would reduce these charges by 15 to 20%. Perhaps advising a reduction by 25% would be more prudent.
Those sound like some pretty hot loads! I remember loading 31 grains of Herco in a 12 gauge M12 when I was 16 y.o. and that was what I had read somewhere. 1-1/2oz. shot for a 2-3/4" baby magnum. Those were some mean loads! I notice others are using 30 grains with Unique and PB, 2 of my favorites.

Those may be perfectly safe loads for all I know though. I'm with you on the reduction in charge to start with though.

Once again, thanks for getting all this stuff together. I'm going to be using at least one of these in 1-5/8 oz. this spring for my turkey hunt.
Cal Lego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #33
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hey has anyone tried the 33.3 gn longshot load with SP10 and nice shot or any other longshot load with nice shot? I want to load up 10 of these and try them on waterfowl. They said pressure is 8780...it's a bit hotter then what I wanted....suggestions please...all comments are very welcome...

I am asking about longshot as I have an entire container begging to be used.
KCordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #34
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

I use that load with 1 3/8 oz Nice Shot. The #2's are devastating on Canada geese well past 50 yards!

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #35
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

managed to get my hands on a supply of Federal Hulls and have loaded some of these, now all I need is geese
Unread 11-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #36
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Fantastic.. already cut my 10 gauge federal halls this evening I'll start loading them tomorrow. Any recommendations to roll Or crimp? again, I am using the SP10 wads
Unread 11-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #37
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCordell View Post
Hey has anyone tried the 33.3 gn longshot load with SP10 and nice shot or any other longshot load with nice shot? I want to load up 10 of these and try them on waterfowl. They said pressure is 8780...it's a bit hotter then what I wanted....suggestions please...all comments are very welcome...

I am asking about longshot as I have an entire container begging to be used.
This is what I use. I just wish I could get more Longshot powder. Echoing what Mark said, this is a great load. Load them up, you will be happy. The pressures are fine. Use the fold crimp and I put a 1/4" cork or fiber wad below the shot to raise the shot column. I have no hesitation to use them in all my 10's.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #38
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

The other issue is the nice shot itself. Wonder when or if they will return to production
Unread 11-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #39
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Cronin View Post
This is what I use. I just wish I could get more Longshot powder. Echoing what Mark said, this is a great load. Load them up, you will be happy. The pressures are fine. Use the fold crimp and I put a 1/4" cork or fiber wad below the shot to raise the shot column. I have no hesitation to use them in all my 10's.

Now, I am really starting to get excited.....
Heavy Shot + wad recommendations
Unread 11-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #40
Cal Lego
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Heavy Shot + wad recommendations

I wanted to load up some of those Sherman Bell Loads but have Heavyshot. I didn't want to wipe out the barrel and also don't see any loads listed in the Bell loads for heavy shot. This is for a 10 ga. 2-7/8 Remington Double.
Cal Lego is offline   Reply With Quote