Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 02-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

first time i ever seen a 1946 mercury pickup...thats picture looks like my backyard.... thanks for the pictures im impressed.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I used to drive a '57 Merc Turnpike Cruiser. 2-toned green. Horridly rusted out and no exhaust pipes left past the frame just below the manifolds.... I remember watching the last scraps of the pipes and mufflers coming off and flying wildly off the road in pieces behind me one day. Talk about loud. I sealed up the rusted out trunk by pouring a bunch of roof coating tar in and covering it all with newspaper! It worked... sort of... but sure dripped a lot of tar on hot days. The good old days, eh?! Quite the beast that thing. Had a little push button on the dash that lubed the entire chassis, spring hangers and all. Little lube tubes were running all over underneath it. A "Wonder bar" radio that searched when you held the bar down; no crude knob turning for this kid!. Must have been quite a car when new. We also had two '59 Mercs, a black station wagon, powered by one of those nice big old rumbling 430? CI Lincoln engines, that would haul a lot of lumber or bags of concrete, and a stunning metallic blue one with chrome trim on everything. THAT was a very nice car. We had a nice '60 Lincoln with that big old engine also; that baby would roll down the hiway at 110mph as smooth as silk. Don't even get me going on our '56 Packard custom-built Caribbean convertible with a 460CI,460HP engine with dual Carter 4-bbls with rear throats the size of the bore of a small grenade launcher, push-button automatic transmission, leather interior, wire wheels and automatic load-levelers for when you filled the trunk up heavy. Nothing if not powerful that thing. When you lean over the carbs while tuning an engine like that up and crank the throttle lever your eyes nearly get sucked out of your head, your ears pop, you get a nose bleed, and the barometric pressure drops dramatically for a radius of at least 100ft. Then there was the '48 Chrysler wooden-body Town and Country convertible we had that I think is still around and graced the cover of the Barrett Jackson auction brochure a few years back. We sold the Packard and the Chrysler for $900ea in 1962.... who woulda known....? Cars today are Tonka toys by comparison to that fine old iron...
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

[QUOTE=Richard Flanders;34673]Cars today are Tonka toys by comparison to that fine old iron.../QUOTE]

Ya got that right ! I will grant they are far safer rides but just no style (for my eyes, I'm sure some love 'em).

Nobody got you started on the Packard. You did that all yourself. Pics??

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #14
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,165 Posts

Charlie,

My place is a wreck right now, just stuff around everywhere that I need to put away from hunting season. I can't seem to get motivated, maybe once the late goose shooting in Ontario is over after the end of the month.

I've got two guns at the smith and two more projects that need to get sent out. I've got boxes of stuff that needs put on eBay and GunBroker, just not enough hours in the day.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

no such thing as getting every thing organized at my house either..i got the man cave looking pretty good but low and behold if my wife didnot bring in several cases ofd girl scout cookies and put them in the man cave...one good thing though there sure good with a cup of coffee... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote