Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Robert, looks like I was off a little on my numbers - I was going from memory. I'm going to copy that article so I have it for correct future reference. Now, I wonder what the pressures are for glued overshot wads? Or rolled crimps? The glued would be way less, but how about the rolled? In old reloading manuals going from paper wads to plastic they used to recomend useing 10% less powder. Ah, the fun of reloading. To all those guys who say "why reload- I can buy almost as cheap" - ya but you can't get low pressure or any of our custom loads as cheap. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 12-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

interesting thinking paul ...roll crimping should have morepressure than the glued over shot cards...it will be nice to know what the differance is....probly want be much differance....what do you think....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think the roll is only a small bit less than a star crimp - the glue a lot less - JMHO - Paul
Unread 12-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i had about gave up on the shooting of smokless powder in a brass shell....but today i said i would try it once more....first i loaded up alliant bluedot no bang just a fizzle...tried a hotter powder....it was clays still a blooper....i was using plastic wads i wrapped the bottom of wad with sometape to have a tighter gas seal with still another blooper.....but i have solved the mystery of usingsmokless in brass hulls now....i was about to give up on smokless in brass but i decided i would try onse more....i loaded blue dot powder then used the plastic wad with no tape used....then my 1 1/4 ounce of shot....then i used 3 top cards over shot instead of one..... ifired this load over 15 times with not a blooper one....the pattern was very good could not tell the differance with 2 or 3 top wads in patterns....this was a 10 ga alcan brass hull i was using with the remington no 57 primer....the secret to using smokless powder in brass is in thetop wad.....i do not know what the load will do in cold weather yet but at 60 degrees plus here today it was a very good and pleasant load to shoot and as a plus not much cleanup....buy the way all these loads were fired throgh a parker p grade 10 ga with 32 inch barrels and the barrels are twist steel..... hope the extra top wad helps somebody out with there use in smokless in brass....remember these over shot wads are over the shot.... charlie
Unread 12-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
David Lien
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie,
I have loaded Alcan brass cases for 50 years. The problem is I only loaded heavy loads for my fluid steel 10s. I have no knowledge of light loads for damascus guns. I do know some things about reloading Alcan brass cases though.

1. Inside diameter of Alcan brass are tapered. Alcan allbrass wads are also tapered. The blue side goes to the shot and fits up like a morris taper. You can also use Alcan PGS wads under the nitro cards.

2. Ball powders have always worked best in brass cases. I shoot HS6 and 540Winchester.

3. The Alcan maxfire 220 primers are a must for loading alcan brass cases. They are hot!

4. The Remington 57 primers are not the best choice. If you will PM your mailing address to me then I will try to UPS you some 220 maxfire primers.

Good luck

David Lien
David Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #16
Mike Stahle
Forum Associate

Member Info

I wonder what the pressure increase is with the melted together crimp.

Mike Stahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mike, good question. When I tried heavier overshot wads I got blown patterns. But then I was useing black powder [ 92grs ] and only 1oz of shot. I've been told after, the more power when useing BP, the more shot so there's a resistance for a good burn. Glad to hear someone has figgered it out. Paul
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,455 Times in 804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Mike, good question. When I tried heavier overshot wads I got blown patterns. But then I was useing black powder [ 92grs ] and only 1oz of shot. I've been told after, the more power when useing BP, the more shot so there's a resistance for a good burn. Glad to hear someone has figgered it out. Paul
i too had blown patterns in my 10 ga. with thicker over shot wads .most test cut patterns from 85 % to 30 % and not a good 30 % , clumps of shot and big holes
scott kittredge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, have you tried paper wads? A good tight over powder card would do the trick like David uses. Circle Fly sells any size wads you could want. Besides, who would use plastic wads in a brass shell? David, where did you get reloading data for your powders? How much are you useing? Paul
Unread 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

paul i have some of the right paper wads for the brass shells now....the y have blue and red markings on one side of them...have loaded brass hulls and used the paper wads and glued my top wad good all over and i have had good results...i guess im the only fells that uses the plastic wad in a brass shell...i had a lot of bloopers at first with the plastic wads.but since i increased the top wads2 or three on top ignightion has been no problem...but i believe why i having no trouble now with the plastic wads is because of yalls info to glue the top wad solid creating alittle more time for the powder to ignite good...but the right paper wads for a brass shell are better than plastic wads but in a pich you can use the plastic wad but you need to seal the top wad good with glue wich is possibely best sealing agent for a brass shell... charlie