Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Hi from Across the Pond
Unread 06-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
Sanjay B
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Hi from Across the Pond

Hi all,

UK based collector, hunter and enthusiast here. I'm mainly interested in UK made vintage guns (rifles and shotguns), but was gifted a Parker as a friend thought I should have it (I am of US birth).

Looking forward to learning more about these guns and seeing what you all think of my collection! Will post pictures if desired - I have some Rook Rifles, my stalking rifle, and a motley collection of vintage shotguns - martini actioned, sxs and more. I use a b525 for competition, though am looking to enter the SxS championships one day.

Best,

Sanjay
MR SANJAY BHATTACHARYA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR SANJAY BHATTACHARYA For Your Post:
Unread 06-20-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Hi Sanjay and Welcome!

You will probably find everything you need to know about Parker shotguns right here.

Browse the links in the left column on our Home page - there's so much information there and you should use our search function near the top of this page to inquire about other guns that have been discussed on our forum.

Best, Dean

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Yes, welcome! Tell us more about yourself and your guns
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
Sanjay B
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the welcome! I haven't had time to have a proper browse of the forum yet, but there's lots of interesting information just from glancing at some of the threads.

I have been shooting for 6/7 years, starting with clay pigeon and smallbore target (22lr, 25yds). I now shoot competitive clay pigeon, and Fullbore (.308) target rifle at Bisely, from 100-1200yds, as well as wingshooting (walked up and driven), rabbiting and am just starting deerstalking this year. I used to shoot competition air pistol, but found I hit a plateau in my scoring, and my patience ran out!

I am a chef, though I studied biochemistry at university. I always try to eat what I kill wherever possible.

My current collection stands as follows - I have had some guns pass through, but mostly try to only buy what i will love and shoot and keep for the future.

Rifles
Mauser action rebarrelled to .308Win. Thumbhole stock, double set triggers. This is my current F/open class target rifle (for fun) and deerstalking gun (for serious work). I use a club rifle for my competitions. Rebarrelled in 2008. by Kraus Kempten Waffen-fabrik in Germany. I have a moderator fitted to this.

.297/230 Morris Short Rook Rifle, by J Macpherson. Sidelever rook rifle that was relined to .297/230 in the 1950's, having been bored out to something larger. .297/230 is the original caliber. I have some ammunition for this gun, and am working on reloading it - though as the collectors value is diminished, I am thinking of getting it rechambered/lined to a intermediate game caliber like 30-30, so that I could use it for hares, rabbits, foxes and more. Sadly the action isn't strong enough to take a UK-legal deer cartridge, but it's a lovely gun nonetheless. 1920s

.22LR Rook Rifle by Malloch. Less pretty, but just as functional. Limited collectors value as has been lined already - but I bought it for a song, so thinking of doing it up as a project sometime. ~1930's

.22LR Rabbiting rifle: straight pull Musgrave Ambidex, made in South Africa. This was a gun I spent a long time looking for, and got it for 1/3rd the price of a new browning t-bolt! It has a lovely, easy to use design and is easy to make left/right handed. Very fun, unusual gun. Made ~1990. I have a moderator fitted to this.

Shotguns.

Clay gun; 12-bore Browning b525 Sporter with 32" barrels (O/U). I love this gun - fit me perfectly right off the shelf. Not much more to say - I do shoot game with it too, but mostly just for sporting clays.

Game gun: 12-bore Frederick T Baker Back-action sidelock ejector (SxS) ~1890s. This is my pride and joy. I bought it at auction, and it looks like it's worth 3x what I paid for it. I have since acquired an original case by the same maker, and am getting both case and shotgun sympathetically restore. Sleeved barrels, but done so well you wouldn't notice. Has perkes-patent ejector box, which is fun - and the most wonderful full-scroll engraving. This is the gun my sons are going to shoot with - I just love the styling of it. I am planning on using it all next season. This is the photo of it that I took for Shooting Sportsman.

12-bore Westley Richards BLNE from 1879. Locks with only the rib extension, and extremely plain - but a lovely little gun nonetheless, and made extraordinarily well. One of their very early boxlocks. Shot my first pheasant with this, so it has a special place in my heart. Need to get the chambers polished and the locking spring redone.

12 bore Parker Bros VH Grade from 1911 (from serial number). Size 2 frame - a lovely gun, and very heavily built. Perfect for wildfowling, but sadly too short in the stock for me.

12 bore martini-actioned single shot by Midland gun company. This is just a fun gun to carry around - and great to shoot with some nice heavy AAA for foxes!

16-bore BLE by B Halliday & Co - bought for £36 ($50?) sleeved barrels that needed blacking and mistimed ejectors, plus some surface rust. Have cleaned it up, got it fixed, and shot my first grouse and partridges with it last year. Love light gun and I couldn't say no for that price.

20-bore BLE by F P Baker - relatively new to the crowd, but a lovely gun for my other half to shoot. I love it too - but my 16 fits me better, and throws a heavier load without more noticeable recoil. Again, sleeved barrels - which puts some buyers off, but not me!

.410 bolt action by Webley & Scott. This was the first gun I bought! Perfect for walking around my mates farm to shoot rabbits, though we never did get many. Now, i have put a detachable moderator on it and it's a great gun for using near stables/housing. Takes 5 shots to get used to where to aim!

.410 BLNE from belgium. Unusual sidelever .410 that is my current project gun. Needs chambers lengthening, and a few new pins/screws. But, a nice gun for a walk about, and looks the part!

I won't put up any photos other than just the one above - but if there's anything you'd like to see, ask and I can dig a pic up.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MR SANJAY BHATTACHARYA For Your Post:
Unread 06-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Where did you study biochemistry? My daughter is a microbiologist for Pfizer.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
Sanjay B
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Where did you study biochemistry? My daughter is a microbiologist for Pfizer.

I did my BSc at Imperial College London, and graduated last year. Once I setup my own B&B/do more catering, I'll try to incorporate more of my degree into my cooking!
Unread 06-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #7
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Sanjay:

That's an impressive collection you have. Thanks for the photos.

Other than your personal game-cooking, what category of cooking to you specialize in as a professional chef?
Unread 06-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
Sanjay B
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Russel,

Sorry for the slow reply, and glad you like the collection.

I am a private chef at the minute, alongside my day job as Office/Project Manager for Root Camp, a UK cased charity that runs residential cookery schools in the countryside, for deprived young adults. I organise and plan the menus, and do all the logistics, as well as every other job that appears!

Food wise, I really cook what I fancy - I trained at a very modern "british" restaurant in oxford, so use plenty of modern techniques but try to focus on foraged/wild/gathered ingredients, hence my interest in hunting. Keeping food simple is a goal - but using the best way to make every component of the dish.

I run my own cookery classes, which I love - so I think teaching will be the thing I go for. I dream of getting guests/clients to harvest their own wild greens/venison/duck, butcher/prep it with me, and prepare a fantastic dinner. That could be simple cooking, or really fancy restaurant plating, which I think would go well.

S
The Following User Says Thank You to MR SANJAY BHATTACHARYA For Your Post: