Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Semi-annual wipe down event
Unread 05-05-2024, 08:51 AM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,865 Times in 3,154 Posts

Default Semi-annual wipe down event

Twice a year I go through the safes and pull out every gun to check it and give it a good wipe down. Sometimes I come across guns I'd forgotten about. I'll post a few here.

The first is one of my favorite Foxes: a two barrel C grade, made in 1913, with some of the nicest wood I've ever seen (the card notes the request to get choice wood, okayed by the boss). 30" and 26" barrels are a perfect tandem in my opinion (if you're going to have two sets of barrels, make 'em different!). The A&F case has all original "accoutrements." This gun has taken Missouri pheasants and quail and, with the short barrels, at least one Minnesota grouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6259.jpg (501.9 KB, 21 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2024, 11:09 AM   #2
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,143 Times in 2,741 Posts

Garry, single fore-end or two?
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 05-05-2024, 11:51 AM   #3
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,089 Posts

12ga?
Unread 05-05-2024, 12:28 PM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Two forends, 12gauge.
Unread 05-05-2024, 01:07 PM   #5
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

I do this also, but have to wait until my wife is at work. It's a jelousy thing- no problem, I get it. Just not sure what to do when she retires in a year or two. Bottom line is these firearms deserve all the love they can get, it's our responsibility...
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
A few more Foxes from the "den"
Unread 05-05-2024, 02:06 PM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default A few more Foxes from the "den"

Now Chris has me paranoid, but we forge on.

Here are several more Foxes, all small bores. You'll see that I'm addicted to the small bore, but besides the way they feel in the hand, they are more than worth the added expense after you've slogged over birdless terrain for 8 miles and then your dogs pin a covey right at the truck. This is where Foxes excel in my not-nearly-humble-enough opinion.

(From top to bottom

A sub-6 lb. A grade 16 in really fine original condition. If its dimensions were a bit more to my liking, it would be a constant companion. It has taken pheasant and quail in Missouri, and grouse in SE Ohio (yes, Virginia, there were huntable populations of grouse in OH).

A re-stocked A 16, also under 6 lb. This was bought during a fit for a straight-splinter "rain gun." I shoot this gun really well, but I don't think I've ever had it out in the rain. It's taken Missouri dove, both from a hide, and walked up. I don't recall using it more than a few times. Maybe I should hunt in the rain a bit more.

My "Redemption Gun" that I posted about not long ago -- a 16 gauge CE early production gun. Once I found out its lack of originality, I was free to fit a safety to it and open the super tight chokes. It's a great quail gun, having take birds in IA, MO, KS, and OK.

This little 20 gauge A is from the transition period between Phil. and Utica. It has really nice wood for an A, and very high dimensions. The chokes are far too tight for my kind of walk-up shooting, and since it has had its stock lengthened with spacers, I won't feel like I'm ruining a pristine gun by opening the chokes. In spite of the tight chokes, I've managed to take MN grouse and Missouri quail with it...but my shooting average is pretty poor (hey, I'm blaming the chokes)

I hope to carry one of these Foxes when -- someday soon I hope -- I get to hunt with Phil Yearout in Kansas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6279.jpg (531.5 KB, 5 views)
Unread 05-05-2024, 02:34 PM   #7
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Garry,

I just went through my annual ritual. I realize I have too much stuff and too many guns. However, I don’t realize the depth of my disease during the year.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Old meets new (Fox)
Unread 05-05-2024, 02:56 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Old meets new (Fox)

A couple more Foxes and then I move on.

This very early CE 12 has the wonderful early engraving. I love the birds on the bolsters. This gun has a bit too much drop for upland birds over my Gordons, but is great for dove or ducks from a blind (and it has proven itself here in Missouri).

This CSMC XE 16 is a gun I'll not get rid of in my lifetime, and I hope I have someone I feel good enough about leaving it to when I pass. Elaine and I visited Tony C. at his factory to order this gun, and he gave us the guided tour, spending lots of time with us. At the time this was the most I could ever have imagined I'd spend on a gun, and I wanted something very individualized. After getting fitted I was able to get the custom stock dimensions I wanted, and I challenged Tony to make this XE 16 weigh under 6 lbs. He and his artisans met my challenge. This gun has 29 inch barrels and is choked .012/.000. When I ordered it I envisioned using it on the high plains and prairies of Montana. Ultimately, it proved itself in Montana, taking Huns and sharptails on the prairies, and ruffed and blue grouse in the mountains, shooting over my Gordon brace of Lichen and Moss. I've also shot lots of quail, pheasants, and grouse in all of the Mid-West states we hunt, and have doubled on quail and grouse with this beauty which now lives at the back of the safe. It really liked the B&P 2 5/8" shells, and even with the more open chokes, would reach out on those open prairie shots.

A feature of this gun that makes it even more special is the engraving of our dog Prairie Trace, who I believe to be my "once in a lifetime" bird dog (although I'll agree "I ain't dead just quite yet"), although his son, Briar, would challenge that. I made the sketch of Trace and sent it to Tony. I also asked that I be given the names of every person who worked on this gun (along with their task). It makes for a great provenance for this very special-to-me gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6282.jpg (506.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6285.jpg (552.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6288.jpg (532.2 KB, 4 views)
Unread 05-05-2024, 02:58 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
Garry,

I just went through my annual ritual. I realize I have too much stuff and too many guns. However, I don’t realize the depth of my disease during the year.

Ken
Ken, there's no cure, I'm convinced...and I suggest you don't seek one.

(And isn't it fun to revisit some of the guns at the back of the safe?)
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Final Installment -- a few 28s
Unread 05-05-2024, 03:44 PM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Final Installment -- a few 28s

I love the 28 gauge, and have killed more birds with it than any other gauge. Here are a few that have a proven track record of taking game (except for one that has yet to be blooded -- but I have plans!).

(My most used 28 is a little John Dickson & Sons box lock, but I'll save that for another day and another post. And there's a Parker DHE 28 lurking somewhere in the safe, not to mention several AyAs, but I digress.)

The little McNaughton at the top is one of their 24 inch cuties that they claimed some fame for, at least by their telling. Those short barrels are choked too tightly for my bore gauge to measure. The toggle safety is a challenge (I think Ken H. will agree), so I've determined this will be a squirrel gun, and I have plans to take a few this Spring when our season opens on the Saturday nearest Memorial Day. I hope for some cool mornings and for some very young squirrels to be out and about. I'll keep you posted.

This Watson Brothers 28 is a 28 inch gun, nicely balanced to the front, which works well for open field quail. It proved such here in Missouri and across the border into Iowa. I fell in love with the carved fences and deep rich, dark stock wood.

My newer Holland & Holland 28 came with a second set of new .410 barrels. I bought it with the express intent of shooting "at" dove (thanks to the posts of Farmer Hillis), and for woodcock on our farm's clearcuts, made a few years back in hopes of pulling in some birds. I got my wish on both Missouri dove and local woodcock. The 28 gauge barrels are also 28 inches, and make for enough weight to keep me swinging, although there's not a lot of swinging in our local, very think 'cock coverts.

This Thomas Bland 28 is in its original configuration except for the lengthened chambers and reproofing. I had Brad Batchelder add the leather covered pad. It's taken Missouri quail, but it's fit is just not quite right for my aging bones any more, and it now sits at the back of the safe reminiscing about being carried afield "back in the day." I bought this gun from Woodcock Hill which holds the Thomas Bland name, and have a letter from them affirming the gun's originality. Not a high grade gun, but still in great shape (the English know how to keep guns up).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6293.jpg (510.8 KB, 3 views)