Notices

Well behaved wolves!
Unread 10-17-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Default Well behaved wolves!

These pics were taken by one of our geologists in 1989 in the Purcell Mtns here in Alaska at a hot springs where we went as a crew for a July 4 bath and crew party. I have the same pics but have never scanned my slides; Jack just posted these on FBook. When mom goes hunting she leaves the "kids" at some spot we'll call the "day care center", with the stern message that, "you little shits better be right here when I get back or I'ma gonna whup your asses but good! So, they stay right there and will not leave. We were able to walk to within 30ft of them and they were not really alarmed by us. This was about as memorable a wildlife experience as any of us had ever before or since. Something very special that will not be repeated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wolf pups 1 1989.jpg (56.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg wolf pups2 1989.jpg (74.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg wolf pups3 1989.jpg (37.9 KB, 2 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
Rick Roemer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Very interesting

George Bird Evans
Rick Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice pictures, Richard. We had a similar experience up in northern Alberta where I used to live. The mom would leave her pups right along a very lightly travelled highway about 20 miles out of town. They were smaller and younger than the ones in the pictures. I'd stop and watch them from my truck for 20 or 30 minutes on my way home from work. I'd be parked 30 feet away and they'd be playing and ignoring me. Never saw the adults in the pack. At some point we just stopped seeing them. I was some PO'd when I heard that some Ahole from the next town over shot them all. He was one of the "only good wolf is a dead wolf crowd".
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post:
Unread 10-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

No doubt the transplanted Wolves in Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc along with extreme protection in places like Montana have had a negative impact on big game numbers.

The Wolf lovers mostly don’t have to live with them, and the powers that be behind the transplants cared less about Wolves and more about killing off game animals. Less animals, less hunting.

When Hawks, Eagles and Owls became untouchables Gamebirds took a hit. When trapping became not PC the egg robbers hit them again

Some need to look behind the smoke.....

Wolves are great and I saw one in Wisconsin. When I mentioned it to a resident, his reply was, “You saw one of the reasons most here no longer have outside kennels.”

The never cut a tree group are another example...Save the spotted Owl while signing a death warrant for the many others that need an emerging forest....

Almost all who support any of the above are also vehemently anti-hunting....

Let it be known that if this goes on I didn't start it....The pics from Ak were fine and something most of us will never get to see..And I for one appreciated them....But Mr Brown had to interject his Wolf opinion....and call some of us who are not all that enthusiastic about uncontrolled Wolf populations A holes.....