Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Pitted Barrels
Unread 03-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
Dennis Abrams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Pitted Barrels

I recently acquired two 12 ga. Repros. with a gun collection that I purchased.
The guns were stored in a damp basement in fleece lined cases for many years and the barrels are badly pitted. I was planning on having the pitting removed and the barrels reblued and use the guns for duck hunting. A visit to the gunsmith revealed two problems with my plan. The pitting is so severe that only 80 percent can safely be removed and the chokes have been opened from the original M/F.
My gunsmith tells me he doesn't need the work and I don't need the guns. I will not be happy with any pitting remaining so I'm rethinking the project.

I'm looking for options. I know finding new barrels would be difficult. Has anyone ever tried sleeving a Repro.? Is the project worth perusing or should I listen to my gunsmith.

Dennis
Dennis Abrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Listen to your gunsmith.

Is there any pitting in the bores?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bore condition is pretty important. Exterior pitting is now being microwelded to fill the pits and then refinished. This procedure is starting to gain in popularity, although I know nothing of the costs involved. Someone will surely tell you it needs to only be done by a gunsmith who understands finish, etc. I disagree. It only needs to be done by someone who has been told what kind of metal to use during the welding process. That info can be obtained. There are even some recent threads on the DoubleGunShop.com and 16ga.com where individuals have done this work themselves. They obviously know how to weld itty-bitty stuff so please don't mistake me for suggesting you do the same. I'm just saying this stuff is apparently not rocket science, but rather requires the proper equipment and knowledge. Microwelding is specialized. A member of this forum has a friend who did this work for him as a favor and it turned out great - that guy wasn't a gunsmith, either. I've also seen people recommend a specific company in Ohio for this work. Maybe someone else will provide the name.
Unread 03-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Dennis Abrams
Forum Associate

Member Info

No pitting in the bores. All pitting is on the exterior metal work. The barrels are bad.

Dennis
Unread 03-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

You will probably have the cost of another 12 ga. repro. into the project before your satisfied. What can you tell us about the condition of the rest of the gun? 12ga. repro. barrels do come up for sale, but not very often.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post:
Unread 03-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Dennis Abrams
Forum Associate

Member Info

The pitting is on the exterior of the barrels and any blued surfaces ie. trigger guard and butt plate. Frame is not pitted. Bores are not pitted. My gunsmith had one gun apart and there was no corrosion on the inside. He had that gun working in ten minutes.
Both guns are 28", straight/splinter, single trigger. Not sure what the choke measurements were but he said they had been opened to IC/M.
His suggestion was to shoot them the way they were or sell them as parts.

Dennis
Unread 03-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

That's unfortunate, 28" 12 ga. Repros are somewhat uncommon. If it's 28" IC/Mod they could be steel shot specials, is there any prefix in the serial number or are they just 12-1XXX? It's hard to imagine how that happens, but if your not a gun person or just don't care....
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote